Best way to power an LNB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hicks107

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 21, 2010
ny
Hi,

Earlier this year I posted about how my S9 stopped giving power on Horizontal TPs. Now I want to resurrect it and want to try providing power to my LNB and motor with a Diseqc or something. Will that work? Can I get a powered diseqc and have it supply the power to the lnb? Will it know when to change between 18/14v? Does anyone know of a product that will be light on my wallet?

Much appreciated,
Mike

hicks107

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 21, 2010
ny
Wow, thanks! I hadnt seen your post before and it came out just after I gave up on that box. I will give that a try. I wonder if my local radio shack will have em in stock. Before I buy one do you feel it would fix my symptoms described last Feb?? Vertical TPs are fine for hours. Horizontal TPs last about 60 seconds and quickly fade away until I get 0 volts.

thanks again,
mike

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
Thats the polyfuse. You can just put jumper across it to confirm.
There's members here who may have spares. Digikey is one source. Ratshak, dunno.

hicks107

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 21, 2010
ny
That was it. I put my meter on both sides. One read 19v and the other side quickly dropped to zero after about 2 minutes. Im ordering 5 of those. Shipping is pretty cheap. thanks a bunch.

johann12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2012
NC, USA
Thats the polyfuse. You can just put jumper across it to confirm.
There's members here who may have spares. Digikey is one source. Ratshak, dunno.
I may be wrong on this......
If it is the poly fuse then you would not have either vertical or horizional 14/18 volts output.

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
If it is the poly fuse then you would not have either vertical or horizional 14/18 volts output.
All depends on how badly it(Polyfuse) fails. Mine would drop from around 19V to about 12V and loose horizontal TP's as the LNBF would switch to V. Vertical TP's kept working.
The resistance only goes high enough to reduce the lnb voltage. Doesn't take a over-current situation for it to happen. Calculated mine around 500 ohms.
Operating normally the polyfuse resistance is only a few tenths of an ohm.
With an over-current, the resistance goes extremely higher (~10,000 ohms) and the LNB voltage drops enough to kill even vertical TP's.. wikipedia

johann12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2012
NC, USA
All depends on how badly it(Polyfuse) fails. Mine would drop from around 19V to about 12V and loose horizontal TP's as the LNBF would switch to V. Vertical TP's kept working.
The resistance only goes high enough to reduce the lnb voltage. Doesn't take a over-current situation for it to happen. Calculated mine around 500 ohms.
Operating normally the polyfuse resistance is only a few tenths of an ohm.
With an over-current, the resistance goes extremely higher (~10,000 ohms) and the LNB voltage drops enough to kill even vertical TP's.. wikipedia

Fat Air,
Thank you for taking the time and explaining this.
I like the wikipedia link.
So someone could use a 500 mA fuse to replace the poly fuse.
As far as I remember the S9 has a 500 mA limit to power the LNB's/LNBF's.

Last edited:

johann12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2012
NC, USA
I got a question.
If I remember right, the S9 can handle 500 mA output to power LNB's/LNBF's.
Lets say you want to power a motor like the SG 9120 that has a starting movement consumption of 350 mA. Does this mean that you only can power 3 more LNB/LNBF which have about 50 mA each? 350 mA + 50 mA X 3 = 500 mA.
Does this mean that this poly fuse may go bad again, if you go over 500 mA ?
What does someone do if they want to power let's say 15 LNB's/LNBF's from 1 receiver?

Last edited:

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
Your not powering all LNBs at once. ;)

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
That was a good question.
I didn't deal with it in the Switces Simplified FAQ.
... but then, that's not exactly something a novice would worry about, either. :)

In multi-LNB / multi-receiver (advanced) systems, I would use 2-output LNBFs and Powered multiswitches.
That way none of the LNBFs would display warm-up drift. ;)
And the receiver power supply would never be taxed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)