Best way to Store Photos?

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
I have been storing photos for several years by simply taking them off my SD card and placing them in folders separated by event, in turn placing those folders in other folders by year. I have never used any photo storage/archive program as it seemed simpler to simply do it my way.

I have used Kodak EasyShare and am not impressed. Are there any other programs that are good at storing photos, or is my way of just keeping them in folders the best way?

Basically what I am asking is how you all store your photos, how you back them up etc. Trying for some new/improved ideas.

What you are doing sounds simple enough for me. If you can find them that's all that matters.

Be sure you make regular backups on media that will still be readable when the next generation hardware comes. (CDs or DVDs are probably safe for a while)

I used to do the folder thing, now I just dump them all into 1 folder. I use Picasa to sort and organize the pictures by tagging them with the date, place, event, ect.
For backup I just use microsoft's synctoy to copy the folder off to a network attached storage drive.
I'm sure there is a better way, but thats how i do it

I know this won't help on the PC side of things, but the new iPhoto does an excellent job of organizing my photos by event. Apple should make the iLife apps available for the Windows crowd like they did with Safari and iTunes, but it probaly will never happen.

Does Microsoft sell a photo organizer?

I orgainize my photos by date - ex: 2008_05_May I then have an external hd that I use as a photo album. I also back up to CD and now DVD and put 1 copy in the safe depoist box at the bank and keep one at home. I am thinking of making a book of thumbnails to print off and put in a 3 ring binder...not sure I need it thoguh.

I organize mine by year, then event. I have an automated backup done once a week to another system in house. That system is setup with Carbonite for off site backup.