Beta 6 Released

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Attachments

• image-3757752382.jpg
    image-3757752382.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 180
http://www.imore.com/hey-you-one-running-ios-7-beta-when-you-really-shouldnt-be-stay-classy

I'm still not sure if these beta versions are open to the public or restricted to developers. I've never been a part of an open beta test since I depend on my systems for serious work. Even when I did registered beta testing of software and hardware, it was always done in a duplicate system so as not to interrupt my main operations.

I feel if your goal is to access beta software, just to be cool, or get an early jump on what is in the near future, then you are missing the whole point. Beta testing should be understood by all that it's use is to find where the product does NOT work. Then report it back to the sponsor of the beta testing. The goal here is to aid the developer in making a release that works flawlessly and offers new features. Beta testing also gives developers of 3rd party products a heads up so they can test their own products to determine what changes they may need to make as well. Beta testing, to my understanding has never been intended to be a tool for the marketing dept to promote the new release.

What I question is how Apple is distributing this iOS 7 beta. In all the post y2K beta tests of other programs, my registration had to be activated by the beta test division over the internet. It appears to me that Apple does not require this and the iOS7 is open to all who can download. In a way this appears to be a marketing plan in combination with beta.

Your phone UDID (Serial Number) must be registered with Apple for you to be able to install the beta software, if its not then you can not install it.

I have the beta as I have the SatelliteGuys apps and am a registered devoloper. For the most part I am happy with it. :D

Yes, Scott, I did find a reference similar to what you posted but also that each developer is authorized 200 UDID devices under his beta tester contract. Do I have that correct? Or, are you also just a sub under the real developer's contract? In my way of thinking, anyone the actual official beta tester authorizes to aid in the beta test program should report back to them and then they can choose to send those reports officially to Apple. A chain of command, so to speak. But of course, that would also depend on how the NDA is worded too. Considering the UDID authority, I don't see why Dishfan got scolded by the Apple store people unless he just got another one of their self proclaimed "Geniuses" who speaks with no brain attached to his mouth. :D

They increased it last week to 200 devices.

DISH wanted us to do some beta testing but we couldn't as they were out of space in the provisioning system.

Ah, interesting.

Not iOS-related, but if you have a "Safari" developer account - which is actually free (or was when I joined it), Safari 6.1 beta is out; and it includes changes to the bookmark bar. Seems pretty stable.