Beta Laux 9 foot advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Parabolicman

Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Ohio
Hey anyone who is using a Beta Laux 9 foot dish. I have one I have used for years. The problem is the old Seavey feedhorn died and I replaced it with a new lnbf c band feed. This was ok when it was locked down on AMC7. However I recently tried to use this through the rest of the arc like I use to with the original feed. I have found ithe signals are not nearly as strong as they use to be. I have lost the original feed horn so I can't try and revive it. I have the current feed horn at the right focal point, and as centered as I can. The dish is perfectly on the arc and has been for years.Any ideas on improving the signal? Is there a trick I am missing when using a newer feedhorn?

As the question is about it; please give forum the exact feedhorn (lnbf) type; and receiver brand and model; and how you have hooked it up with your tv.

The biggest problem people have with the new feeds is "perfectly positionimg" it; and when a dish points due south with the mount; vertical "pin" in lnbf must be aligned with mount and dish. And, this vertical pin is selected by the 13 vdc coming out of receiver. And this vertical pin; if horizontal instead (90 degrees out) then works but a "scan" puts channels at wrong polarity (meters won't work). Some lnbf have marks for alignment.

and pics of everything including how far thru the scalar the lnb is.
What is the measurement from scalar to dish?

It is just a standard LNBF by WSI. the F/D ratio for the dish is .30 but it works better at .36.The folcal distance is 32.75 inches and set accordingly. I use two different Geosat pro's both the 1200 and the micro HD. I am fine on how to set anything up on any dish. I use to do it for a living. However this dish has a strange idiosyncrasy. It worked great with the old Seavey feed. With it being such a deep dish it seems to have different response on other feeds than the Seavey. Do any of you use this dish?

i have one, and i have found the lnb wants to stick out of the scalar quite a bit.
i am set at 32.5" .
my seavey feed was in pieces when i got the dish.

i use it on 58w , 55w, 107w, and from time to time ku.

i have not noticed any other thing different from my other dishes outside of the lnd sticking thru the scalar farther.

the dishes i use are in my signature

i was using a lnbf on my laux bata 9,, switched to a traditional polarotor c / ku feed horn with REAL Lnbs...

much better performance....

l

It is just a standard LNBF by WSI. the F/D ratio for the dish is .30 but it works better at .36.The folcal distance is 32.75 inches and set accordingly. I use two different Geosat pro's both the 1200 and the micro HD. I am fine on how to set anything up on any dish. I use to do it for a living. However this dish has a strange idiosyncrasy. It worked great with the old Seavey feed. With it being such a deep dish it seems to have different response on other feeds than the Seavey. Do any of you use this dish?

I have used many; mostly adding Ku to them knockouts still in place. Seaveys strength in design was using a scalar before the throat which is then the focal point. The single scalar ring point blocks lower freq. and external to the dishes aimed focus of its signals from the throat (where signals enter feed). This is the same as the new ones with the like design. WSI lnbfs are world designed, single freq width from 3.4-4.2 Ghz.; amplifying an area of communications point to points still used today. Titanium has a correct solution; 3.7-4.2 pll feed; just like old lnbs used and amplified only the dishes desired region of bandwidth! Every time I mounted a new Seavey (for Amway and Price Club) it seemed like it was mounted too close into a dish, because the scalar was closer than the throat. I would think performance would improve if you put the throat inside as far as you can because the Seavey was focused there too. And at around a Laux focal point of around 26-28 inches; no notes anymore; experiment!:popcorn

I think I would add check the buttonhook to make sure it's installed correctly and hasn't been bent or warped over the years by the weight of the feedhorn. Imagining my Laux beta 9 right now, I seem to recall I think the buttonhook pipe to dish connection is rather cheesy so if screws worked lose or whatever, the buttonhook pipe might not be perpendicular to the dish anymore. Also, if the feedhorn weight warped the center pipe, it will no longer be at the focal point of the dish and you'll have to use guide wires to adjust the buttonhook feedhorn area to the focal point of the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts