BIG 10 is BACK - A Deal Has Been Reached!

Not a very good thing in my market. I will lose a lot of customers because of this just because of this weekend's game, Iowa vs. Iowa St. Then the following weekend it's Iowa vs. Northern Iowa.

HEre is the wording from the facebook post from last night.

g Ten Network
A long-term agreement with Dish still has not been reached and the current short-term arrangement expires early Saturday. Unfortunately, talks have stalled and Dish customers may not be able to see their games on BTN. Dish is still demanding preferential treatment, significantly better treatment than provided by our deals with their competitors. We do not anticipate another short-term arrangement will be reached. Your voice matters! Comment at www.facebook.com/dis?h? and find other providers that carry BTN at www.IWantBTN.com.

What's one have to do with the other??

Those BIG 10 fans aren't going to be switching and watching the PAC 12 network.....

They are both college sports networks.By the same token what does style have to do with amc?I'm not saying that's what will happen just that it's a possibility.Very easy for Dish to say sorry we couldn't keep btn here is pac12 in it's place.

Once again they are losing my trust. I wont sign another contract with them as long as they continue to constantly be in disputes. I switch between cable, Directv and Dish every few years but I refuse to lock myself into a one sided agreement when they can and do remove channels from me at any time.

I'm already paying over $130 a month for TV. If I'm going to pay this much I want the programming I like. I could see them limiting my choices if I were on a budget plan but I'm not. I have AT 250, Multi-Sport, HBO, Showtime, Starz and EPIX as well as receiver fees for 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I'd rather pay a couple dollars more and not worry about losing the programming me and my family enjoy.

I will not cancel until my contract runs out because I refuse to pay them more money for taking services from me but like I said I will never lock myself into another 2 year contract with this company unless they change their negotiation tactics. If it gets much worse I may drop down to one receiver and the welcome pack and sign up for Directv while I ride out the rest of this bad contract. I would gain Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings as well as ESPNU, ESPNews, and ABC Family in HD. The only channel I would miss is G4.

They are both college sports networks.By the same token what does style have to do with amc?I'm not saying that's what will happen just that it's a possibility.Very easy for Dish to say sorry we couldn't keep btn here is pac12 in it's place.

Sorry, BTN =/= PAC 12 or vice versa.

For the most part, two completely different audiences.

SO you are saying that living in a Big 10 footprint area where I get the Big 10 network as a regional sports package they will subsitute teh Pac 12 for the same footprint. Don't think that would happen and if it did it would have no value.

If they drop BTN and pick up the Pac 12 they are just swapping demographics. Dish loses customers in the midwest but gains customers on the west coast. It may come out to a wash for Dish customer wise and save money by getting a less expensive channel. (not sure how much the pac 12 channel is) Really, the only ones affected are the B1G fans.

Naw... that'd be like replacing TCM with HDNet Movies. Sure, HDNet Movies has some good films on it, but the material couldn't much more diverse for both being movie channels. Or swapping WEWS in Cleveland for WBZ in Boston.

Swapping Big-10 for PAC-12 would make absolutely no sense.

They are both college sports networks. Very easy for Dish to say sorry we couldn't keep btn here is pac12 in it's place.
I don't watch ANY college football team routinely other than the Buckeyes. Sure, if Alabama or USC or whoever is on, I might leave it on and watch for a few minutes but I generally know nothing about any of those teams. If we're home and not busy, I will watch the Buckeyes though. You're suggesting that I just switch "favorite" teams because of a channel/contractual dispute ?

is their anyone, even one single person, who didn't think this would happen the moment they heard the big ten was teaming with fox sports cartel to start the big ten network, that this, is EXACTLY what was going to happen after that first contract ended? i love Iowa sports, but f&^$ the big ten network. Pac 12 fans, if your partnered with fox sports you better hope it's a long first contract cause their won't be a second.

is their anyone, even one single person, who didn't think this would happen the moment they heard the big ten was teaming with fox sports cartel to start the big ten network, that this, is EXACTLY what was going to happen after that first contract ended? i love Iowa sports, but f&^$ the big ten network. Pac 12 fans, if your partnered with fox sports you better hope it's a long first contract cause their won't be a second.

I am one person who had no idea this would happen. I know Fox and Dish had a dispute a few years ago but since the Fox Sports RSNs, FX, Fuel, Fox News, Fox Business, and Fox Movie Network are all on Dish it sure seemed like their problems were behind them.

You're suggesting that I just switch "favorite" teams because of a channel/contractual dispute ?

Lol I'm not suggesting anything all I'm doing is speculating.I hope I'm wrong about the possibility of Dish dropping BTN and adding Pac12 as a replacement.However,I don't get to make the programming decisions.Dish can do whatever they choose whether we like it or not.They have already shown numerous times they won't hesitate to drop a channel and/or substitute with a channel they deem of equal value.

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter who owns a channel. When contracts end there is always a chance for negotiations to fail. All it takes is for one to ask for more than the other is willing to pay. Very simple, everyday practice in life. Whenever there is supply and demand there will be disagreements.

It really doesn't matter who owns a channel. When contracts end there is always a chance for negotiations to fail. All it takes is for one to ask for more than the other is willing to pay. Very simple, everyday practice in life. Whenever there is supply and demand there will be disagreements.
It most certainly does matter who owns a channel. In particular, who owns a bundle of channels and use those channels as extortion. Supply and demand is horribly skewed.

If they drop BTN and pick up the Pac 12 they are just swapping demographics. Dish loses customers in the midwest but gains customers on the west coast. It may come out to a wash for Dish customer wise and save money by getting a less expensive channel. (not sure how much the pac 12 channel is) Really, the only ones affected are the B1G fans.

Yea, but your dealing with more pist off customers, where as the PAC 12 customers don't have a reason to complain, where as the big 10 customers do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)