BIG 10 is BACK - A Deal Has Been Reached!

Claude Greiner said:
Yea, but your dealing with more pist off customers, where as the PAC 12 customers don't have a reason to complain, where as the big 10 customers do.

Sorry, but that's not exactly accurate. If PAC-12 channel doesn't get added "PAC-12 subs" would have just as much reason to complain as "Big 10 subs" do if BTN is dropped. In both cases they don't get to see their games.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Not the same: The Big 10 audiance has a chan that they have had and maybe even made a selection to get Dish ( rural for example) because of it. They are having a Chan removed that they have had with little or no warning.

THe Pac 12, while they want it and that is fine, have not had the opertunity to make a provider selection or renewal based on the fact that they had this programing.

Sorry, but that's not exactly accurate. If PAC-12 channel doesn't get added "PAC-12 subs" would have just as much reason to complain as "Big 10 subs" do if BTN is dropped. In both cases they don't get to see their games.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yep

Esp this weekend with the Iowa / Iowa State game on, correct?

For me personally I don't care. I will be at the game. For my business I'm a little concerned. I get tired of answering questions everyday about what's going to happen to the channel. I know I'm going to lose some customers too. At least I know I'll get some new customers back in 2 years though. :)

Last edited:
Not the same: The Big 10 audiance has a chan that they have had and maybe even made a selection to get Dish ( rural for example) because of it. They are having a Chan removed that they have had with little or no warning.

THe Pac 12, while they want it and that is fine, have not had the opertunity to make a provider selection or renewal based on the fact that they had this programing.

I used to be able to get all my local PAC-12 games too. They used to be shown on my local RSN. So if a PAC-12 fan made a decision to go with Dish because of game availability he'd also be screwed now. Not getting the games is not getting the games.

It's obvious Dish feels that Big 10 network doesn't provide value to it's customers. They will send you a Roku box so you can stream the games. What would a a farmer or rancher in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Nebraska, Iowa, or Wisconsin want with the Big 10 Network anyway? Oh wait...

I've been waiting until OTA happens to upgrade with Hopper system. I've been out of contract several years. If Dish doesn't get an agreement with Big Ten that will probably be enough that I'll have to switch providers. I live in Iowa and Big Ten is a big part of our tv viewing. I was already unhappy about the AMC loss and it sure feels like DISH is often the common denominator in these channel disputes.

It's obvious Dish feels that Big 10 network doesn't provide value to it's customers. They will send you a Roku box so you can stream the games. What would a a farmer or rancher in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Nebraska, Iowa, or Wisconsin want with the Big 10 Network anyway? Oh wait...

Can you really get BTN games on Roku?

Why does it always seem like Dish is trying to clear bandwidth off of their satellites like I clear space off of my DVR? Shouldn't they be in the business of expanding the channels they offer (and I mean, REAL channels, not the Surfing network), and not contracting their offerings?

psychotrope said:
Why does it always seem like Dish is trying to clear bandwidth off of their satellites like I clear space off of my DVR? Shouldn't they be in the business of expanding the channels they offer (and I mean, REAL channels, not the Surfing network), and not contracting their offerings?

Why are there never any threats to cancel any of the stupid shopping channels or the religous channels?

I don't think it's a coincidence that the plug is getting pulled on a weekend when the BTN is showing just three live games. If they are going to get a deal done (and that's a big "if") then the negotiators will probably sacrifice this Saturday and its meager offerings on BTN (sorry Iowa, Northwestern, and Minnesota fans) as a negotiating tactic, perhaps hoping to get a real deal done before next weekend and the eight live games being shown that Saturday. Just a thought. But from a negotiating perspective, you'd sacrifice three live games on behalf of your customers in order to ensure a better long-term contract. Perhaps I'm naive, but I'm hoping that's the end goal --- a deal.

Last edited:
I wonder what happens if you downloaded the Big Ten Network app on the iPad? Will I no longer be able to watch over the Internet because Dish dropped the BTN? That will suck...

I wonder what happens if you downloaded the Big Ten Network app on the iPad? Will I no longer be able to watch over the Internet because Dish dropped the BTN? That will suck...
I presume you have to login to have access to games. If so, did you also have to link your Dish account ? They could certainly block Dish customers but on the other hand, the number of people may be so low that Big Ten Network may either overlook it or have forgotten about it.

Got up to get ready for the game and turned on the tv to check. It's still on. Still has the crawler at the bottom telling people it's going away though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)