BIG 10 is BACK - A Deal Has Been Reached!

The differences between the recent Dish/AMC and Direct/Viacom disputes were discussed at the time. And, it was clear why most people supported Direct, but not many supported Dish.

-Dish dropped the AMC channels. Viacom pulled their channels from Direct.
-Dish made the decision in advance to drop AMC at the end of the contract, with no negotiation. DirecTV wanted to keep the channels up while negotiating.
-AMC made some of their programming available at no charge on the Net. Viacom removed all of their programming from the Net.
-Dish is doing this because of Charlie's personal dislike of AMC's parent corporation due to a separate lawsuit having nothing to do with these channels. DirecTV was only concerned with the issue at hand, the current carriage agreement with Viacom.
-Quite simply, Dish has more of these public disputes with content providers, always using the excuse of saving its customers money. Yet, never has a loss of channels brought about a reduction in package price.

I'm sure there's more. But, those were the main ones off the top of my head right now.

This isn't the AMC dispute though nor is it like it. BTN/Fox are the ones that went public with this because Dish isn't agreeing to the numbers BTN/Fox wants. So this isn't Dish causing the uproar. It's BTN/Fox mad because Dish is trying to negotiate a lower price than BTN/Fox wants to get.

AMC actually has decent programing. Other than a couple things on Comedy Central Viacom has crap on their channels ;)

I read this morning Viacom is increasing their advertising time 9% per hour to adjust for declining viewership. That makes no sense. I would think ratings will slide even further, if what few viewers they have left have to put up with even more commercials.

GaryPen said:
The differences between the recent Dish/AMC and Direct/Viacom disputes were discussed at the time. And, it was clear why most people supported Direct, but not many supported Dish.

-Dish dropped the AMC channels. Viacom pulled their channels from Direct.
-Dish made the decision in advance to drop AMC at the end of the contract, with no negotiation. DirecTV wanted to keep the channels up while negotiating.
-AMC made some of their programming available at no charge on the Net. Viacom removed all of their programming from the Net.
-Dish is doing this because of Charlie's personal dislike of AMC's parent corporation due to a separate lawsuit having nothing to do with these channels. DirecTV was only concerned with the issue at hand, the current carriage agreement with Viacom.
-Quite simply, Dish has more of these public disputes with content providers, always using the excuse of saving its customers money. Yet, never has a loss of channels brought about a reduction in package price.

I'm sure there's more. But, those were the main ones off the top of my head right now.

I was referring to the potential BTN dispute and not AMC.

a stratagem for gain
we are paying the same price for less value
dishes cost are quickly recovered

I'm not a mathematician but,even I can count the savings that Dish has provided us with the AMC dispute.After all is said and done yes AMC is gone but,we came out ahead.Hence definitely not a scam.;)

how did we come out ahead??? I for one got ZERO from Dish..I have had the everything package for years..Nobody contacted me with anything................

how did we come out ahead??? I for one got ZERO from Dish..I have had the everything package for years..Nobody contacted me with anything................

Did you call and ask nicely? All I did is call Dish and say I was concerned about missing Breaking Bad and had heard about the Roku players. She got me one shipped out free of charge right away. That was basically a $50 gift to me.

Dish went above and beyond with their compensation to most subscribers, but to say that we "came out ahead" is still a stretch. I for one am spending $2.99 for every new episode of Breaking Bad and will soon be doing the same for The Walking Dead and possibly other shows. At this rate, it won't take long for my spending on individual episodes to surpass the compensation that I was given by Dish.

the only offer I got was 1/2 off the multi-sports package...they gave the package out for free last year.............I know offers change,but some getting $10.00 a month off for a year and a roku and playboy channel and multi-sport.... just seems uneven..you shouldn't have to call and beg for deals...if they feel some deserve and some don't...they should go through data base and auto give the gifts to those deserving................

Geesh you have been a member here since 2007,how could you have missed all the threads about free roku or very rewarding offers?

Anyway here it is again.

Call this number 1-888-581-1972 ask for loyalty

Be sure to tell them that you are missing Hell On Wheels and Breaking Bad.

They will ask if you have wifi,ps3 or roku.If you have wifi and don't have ps3 or already own a roku and you had a package that had AMC you should qualify.

Dish may be losing ch 101 due to a rate increase. :D Call Dish before Sept 7th to keep this channel on the air. You can make a difference.
Dont call , this is a joke...:D

Dish went above and beyond with their compensation to most subscribers, but to say that we "came out ahead" is still a stretch. I for one am spending $2.99 for every new episode of Breaking Bad and will soon be doing the same for The Walking Dead and possibly other shows. At this rate, it won't take long for my spending on individual episodes to surpass the compensation that I was given by Dish.

When I say we I didn't mean to say every dish customer.We simply means my family.

Dish went above and beyond with MOST customers? Dish is not stupid. They new very well that 90+% of their subs would not call and complain about losing AMC or Disney or anything else for that matter. By saying most customers you make it sound like Dish contacted everybody and offered them some kind of compensation gift. For every dollar they saved they doled out pennies.

No one really came out ahead but dish.
dish greatly reduced their cost and gave a select few a temporary discount.

Really no way for you to prove it was a select few or,for me to prove that it was half of their customers.They did send out emails and postcards,how many,who knows?Then word of mouth by satguys and other websites,I would venture to guess it would be more than a select few.

The point I'm trying to make is that Dish at least in this case did a lot more than they have with other disputes.They could have said here is HDNET movies,AXS,oh and Style sd,that's all we are going to offer.

powerhouse1960 said:
No one really came out ahead but dish.
dish greatly reduced their cost and gave a select few a temporary discount.

Same thing happens with quite a lot of channel. Eg this big ten network....if not carried by dish....will not effect me in anyway. So by not increasing my rate because of this....I gain.

Same can be said by others abt channels that my house watches (couple of shows on Amc & WeTV was watched) but at the end....I understand that either dish increases everybody prices to satisfy a few % or bargin hard.

I'm not a mathematician but,even I can count the savings that Dish has provided us with the AMC dispute.After all is said and done yes AMC is gone but,we came out ahead.Hence definitely not a scam.;)

Exactly how many people got what you got? A small percentage, I'm guessing............

Really no way for you to prove it was a select few or,for me to prove that it was half of their customers.They did send out emails and postcards,how many,who knows?Then word of mouth by satguys and other websites,I would venture to guess it would be more than a select few.

The point I'm trying to make is that Dish at least in this case did a lot more than they have with other disputes.They could have said here is HDNET movies,AXS,oh and Style sd,that's all we are going to offer.

I for one never received anything from Dish, only found out about it from here. 16 year subscriber.