BIG 10 is BACK - A Deal Has Been Reached!

An impasse between the Big Ten Network and satellite company Dish Network could prevent customers from watching the opening weekend of the college football season.

Elizabeth Conlisk, the BTN’s vice president of communications and university relations, said today that the agreement between the Big Ten Network and Dish expires Friday — one day before BTN begins its 2012 college football broadcast schedule.

“We’ve offered proposals to Dish that are consistent with the current market value of the network,” Conlisk said. “Dish is insisting on some kind of preferential treatment and is looking for terms below market value.”

http://www.jconline.com/article/2012...k-Dish-Network

Hope it won't come to them dropping or keeping it off for a bit, may have to slingbox from the parents house :(

I wouldn't get too worked up until the channel is actually dropped. I'm not real happy about it either since it will hurt my sales. BTN is a very important channel for my area. Luckily I have season tickets to Iowa games. :)

Stop wasting electrons on something you choose to comment on but don't see as important and think eveyrone else should follow your way of thinking.
He has a point. BTN isn't gone yet. So contact Dish, tell them to keep it, and leave it at that. There were 4.5 bazillion posts in the AMC thread... still dropped it. Nearly as many for channels were eventually kept.

Let Dish know how you feel and leave it at that. A bit of Dish sniping in threads like this.

This is exactly what BTN and Fox hoped for, almost everyone's already bashing Dish, when it's the BTN and Fox that decided to go public now a week before the contract apparently expires crying about Dish not wanting to negotiate or agree to what BTN/Fox thinks is fair.

Here's what I don't get. Direct drops 17ish channels for about three weeks and just about everyone is supportive of direct for taking a stand on pricing. Yet every time a potential dispute comes up involving Dish, people are up in arms.

I think Dish more than made up for the AMC channels. Between the Rokus, the 12 month discounts and the episode purchase credits, they've taken very good care of anyone that was impacted enough to complain. Not to mention that people have gotten credits such that monthly bills are down. So whoever is complaining about never seeing their bill decrease when there's a dispute, I call BS.

Sinclair, yep, that could have been a huge dispute impacting lots of people. But last I heard the channels were down for what, an hour in the middle of the night, prior to a deal being reached? I'd call that resolved with minimal sub impact.

And BTN says they just want market rates, funny that's all Viacom wanted from Direct...

And I'm in no way dismissing anyone's passion for college football. I understand why many would be upset. Hell, as of right now, Dish doesn't even carry the Pac-12 Network, so I completely understand. I'm just bothered by how inconsistently people behave with regards to Dish and Direct when it comes to these sorts of things.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

An impasse between the Big Ten Network and satellite company Dish Network could prevent customers from watching the opening weekend of the college football season.

Elizabeth Conlisk, the BTN’s vice president of communications and university relations, said today that the agreement between the Big Ten Network and Dish expires Friday — one day before BTN begins its 2012 college football broadcast schedule.

“We’ve offered proposals to Dish that are consistent with the current market value of the network,” Conlisk said. “Dish is insisting on some kind of preferential treatment and is looking for terms below market value.”

http://www.jconline.com/article/2012...k-Dish-Network

In that article the BTN rep says negotiations are ongoing, but they wanted to let fans know what their options might be.

So the BTN isn't getting what they want, so they want to stir up public opinion to try and get more money out of Dish.

fox programs or fox channels? fox is waiting for the hopper trial to force dish to cut the hopper features or remove their channels, so, another dispute in a few weeks

fox programs or fox channels? fox is waiting for the hopper trial to force dish to cut the hopper features or remove their channels, so, another dispute in a few weeks

But.. one problem with that.. Dish has retrans agreements with each local Fox affiliate, not with Fox itself, correct? This means that Fox itself cannot "pull the plug" or otherwise nullify the existing retrans agreement. They can, however, probably require that their affiliates take some sort of action. If we don't see anything immediately, it would be most likely with any new/renewed agreement.

sine its a sports channel you can bet it will be dropped.

Charlie is a Vols fan so he doesn't care about any other team
He must not bleed Orange since he won't get the ESPN debacle taken care of already. He can't see all of his Vols games in HD!:)D:DWell he probably can since he most likely has a D* receiver at his place, but not on Dish!:D:D)

Sucks for Big 10 fans, glad the SEC went with a partnership with ESPN instead of creating their own network like this. i'm sure i'll be griping when the contract with ESPN comes up for renewal. I should be out of contract with dish by then though, unless the Hopper2 is out and i re-up. lol

The best thing about this is that we are less than a week from some college football to be back on TV!!

WOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

So Dish Network is trying to be the leader in less HD ?

In the future DISH is going to forego the channel disputes and create "Alternative Channels" for the channels they plan on eliminating. They'll have DNT, DBS, DMC, DSPN, DORN, Blockbuster Box Office (BBO)... all programmed by charlie himself, so you'll get Dallas, hell even Dynasty on DNT, just the 80s versions because Charlie wouldn't want to pay more money for the Dallas remake. DMC will run the 60s version of Night of the Living Dead because Charlie has heard that this is classic film and this classic cinema isn't copyrighted due to a technicality. He will see this as an opportunity lure people away from Dolans network with zombies. DSPN ... they'll film billiards games from local bars, little league baseball, competitive swimming from the YMCA and more. Charlie will later talk to Vince McMahon about how to form your own football league and he will later launch the DFL with the first team being called the Echostars. DBS will air an animated sitcom called The Dishson's. The Dishson's will reside in Littleton, CO. DORN the only thing I can tell you about DORN is that it will cost $9.99 every three hours.

The acquisition of Blockbuster & creation of the Blockbuster channel is the first baby steps of this genius plan.

Last edited:
Dish to Drop Big Ten Network on Sept. 1?

So Dish Network is trying to be the leader in less HD ?

In the future DISH is going to forego the channel disputes and create "Alternative Channels" for the channels they plan on eliminating. They'll have DNT, DBS, DMC, DSPN, DORN, Blockbuster Box Office (BBO)... all programmed by charlie himself, so you'll get Dallas, hell even Dynasty on DNT, just the 80s versions because Charlie wouldn't want to pay more money for the Dallas remake. DMC will run the 60s version of Night of the Living Dead because Charlie has heard that this is classic film and this classic cinema isn't copyrighted due to a technicality. He will see this as an opportunity lure people away from Dolans network with zombies. DSPN ... they'll film billiards games from local bars, little league baseball, competitive swimming from the YMCA and more. Charlie will later talk to Vince McMahon about how to form your own football league and he will later launch the DFL with the first team being called the Echostars. DBS will air an animated sitcom called The Dishson's. The Dishson's will reside in Littleton, CO. DORN the only thing I can tell you about DORN is that it will cost $9.99 every three hours.

The acquisition of Blockbuster & creation of the Blockbuster channel is the first baby steps of this genius plan.

Woops Charlie network exclusive to dish?

This would be better then tv it self.

Gosh you gave Charlie an idea, will he pay you for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woops Charlie network exclusive to dish?

This would be better then tv it self.

Gosh you gave Charlie an idea, will he pay you for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naw, Charlie will implement the idea then go back and try to back charge him for the concept retroactively with a lawsuit, just like he changes install standards then goes back and takes money out of the technician's pockets retroactively for not following the standards that didn't exist at the time.

Dish Network is the worst place in the country to work. Would anyone think those working in the contract negotiations department feel differently?

This is a channel that will lose Dish customers if it is lost. I was a Dish Service Tech when it launched. I spent 3 months out of town in Columbus Ohio because Time Warner said they wouldnt carry the network. So everyone in Columbus was getting DirecTv or Dish. In that time frame myself alone I was doing 3-4 installs a day just because of this channel.

Hoping it gets worked out. I have both Dish and Direct at home so I wont lose the channel, but feel bad for those who may...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)