Big Dish in new condo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

urlacher4778

Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
hey all let me introduce myself im vince new member here. I used to be in the satellite game a long time ago when Narga 1 & 2 were out and i yes i was a pirate at one time but thats behind me now. So anyways back on topic i recently moved into a new condo and i was tired of paying for expensive cable services so i disconnected it because when i moved in they said there was "free Satellite" included in the building and there is a big dish sitting in my courtyard so i thought why not. they told me just hook your tv up to the jack in your suite and your good to go. The problem is that when i hook it up i only get like 4 channels so whats missing i thought? this hardly seems like the "free satellite" i was told i had access too so i decided to dust off my old viewsat extreme i had just collecting dust in the corner and try it out......aah a walk down memory lane when i plugged it back in the first time seeing how it was exactly how i left it when i used to pirate BEV and DISH lol but anyways I have forgotten how to use the dang thing but im doing a blind scan now and my quality bar is all over the place going for 10 shooting up to 100 and back to ten, my signal bar however is staying more steady going from mid 30's to sometimes as high as 50 any suggestions or tips for a old hacker who is finding himself to be a new n00b?

My first suggestion is that you forget about those pirate days. They will not gain you any respect here (quite the opposite), and Charlie Ergen may have you on file somewhere waiting for you to admit to dastardly things.

You haven't given much info for others to be able to help. Do you even know what satellite you are viewing? Is that big dish a C band dish or a huge ku dish. Lets start with that info and just maybe you can get some help.

You're just getting regular tv channels from that jack on the wall.Somewhere between that jack and the dish is a mini headend with some sat receivers and modulators putting those few "cable" channels out to your tv.Hooking the Veiwsat to that jack will get you nothing.
Now if you could get a wire from the headend switch you might get something but that probably would not be allowed.

Lets see the dish.
When your TV is connected, are the channels analog n-0, or digital n-1 or -2 etc.?
Even if it's a BUD that's available to you, that receiver isn't capable of much. IIRR, only mpg A & V. No newer types like Dolby or AAC. No DVB-S2.
If ya want, it could get all except a few channels on 97W (G19) Ku. Just need a clear LOS* for a 30 to 40 inch dish with a Standard 10750 L.O. LNBF.
*www.dishpointer.com

?https://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule (OTARD) rules on dishes. Good for up to 1 meter.

Sorry, didn't notice the location, but a good question. I very quickly, looked around digitalhome, but saw nothing.

lol ok well you are talking to an absolute n00b when it comes to big dishes i know absolutly nothing and i honestly dont have a clue what that thing is pointing at right now, is there anything i could look at on the big dish that would suggest if its a C band or Ku band dish? also i plugged a FTA receiver into the wall for giggles and im getting up to 32% strength and about 10% quality on a few of the dishes i select so thats all i know for now, eagerly awaiting your reply

You have any pictures of this dish? does it have a motor? is it just one dish? Is it big and black mesh or big white solid one?

Post #3 pretty much tells the story: The coax connection in your apartment is connected to several modulators that are getting the TV programming (audio and video) from several receivers that are connected to the satellite dish.

You will not receive any satellite signals from this drop.

i honestly dont have a clue what that thing is pointing at right now, is there anything i could look at on the big dish that would suggest if its a C band or Ku band dish?
What channels do you get when your television is plugged into the cable???

Ok to kill a few birds with one stone here first of all it's big and black it's made of mesh, there is no motor so whatever this thing is pointing at that's where it's staying. As for channels I get one channel it's called cloo it airs mostly mystery stuff and another station has a watermark in the corner that says "IFC"

All you can do is run a blind scan and see what happens. What you should be worried about is damaging others' equipment or hampering the system by injecting 13 or 18 vdc into the system.

The dish is aimed at Galaxy15 @133w. Even if the dish was connected to the coax (which it would not be) you would only receive EWTN and a shipping channel with a FTA receiver. :D

Both channels that you mentioned are encrypted channels. One is vertical and the other is horizontal. So we know that the BUD has a dual polarity LNB set-up and there is a rack somewhere on the property with PowerVu and Digicipher receivers and a few modulators.

Last edited:
Ok so my question is why would the dish be pointed at a satellite with so few channels and if the channels I'm getting are encrypted like you said then is this a pay service that my condo is paying for? Or how are they decrypting it?

Ok so I went to lyngsat and looked up the satellite galaxy 15 wow there's alot of channels available on that puppy do you know who is the provider is it bell or dish network or direct?

They have a headend somewhere with a rack of receivers. Each receiver is tuned to a specific feed and then they are all muxed together distributed throughout the complex as an analog tv signal. Maybe their system needs some maintenance and upgrading. I would ask the management

There are a lot of channels on Galaxy 15 most encrypted, I would assume for distribution to cable providers

http://www.lyngsat.com/Galaxy-15.html

Ok so I'm just wondering since the two channels I am getting through my wall jack in the apartment are both encrypted there must be a receiver in the tv room that is decrypting it which by that logic if its decrypting those two channels it could be possible to decrypt others as well but how are they decrypting it though are they paying someone? Or can anyone decrypt it?

Yes,your management company is buying these channels from the provider for $x.00 per unit and the satellite receiver is authorized for receiving a specific channel.

These receivers and modulators are pretty inexpensive as many operators are going digital. The used equipment cost to add a new channel might be had for less than $100 or $200. The majority of the G15 channels are available for purchase by headend operators. Your management could contact their provider about adding additional channels and associated subscription fees.

ok one more question, i am going in front of the board of directors for my condo development next month to make a pitch to move from this older out dated technology (ie getting rid of the big dish) and replacing it with more conventional DTH services such as Bell ExpressVu as we are in canada and thats the best one available here. I am putting together a proposal to outline a very rough list of things we would need. My question is, is it possible to put up one Bell dish and use the existing equipment infrastructure in place thats already splitting the big dish signal to split the bell signal to everyone in the condo? 14 units per floor X 11 Floors = 154 individual units? or if not how many bell dishes would be needed? I REALLY REALLY appreciate all your help.

Thanks

Vince

If you contact Bell with this question, they will have a sales rep on your doorstep before you get off the phone...

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)