Big Dish's

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In your 1st post the 1st link took me to a page that said I wasn't authorized. The 2nd link did OK, I've seen one that big or Bigger on U.S.41 up around the Atlanta Raceway at Hampton Georgia. I think it belongs to AT&T.
In your 2nd post, that looks like a Radar dish you might would see at an airport?

Al

In your 1st post the 1st link took me to a page that said I wasn't authorized. The 2nd link did OK, I've seen one that big or Bigger on U.S.41 up around the Atlanta Raceway at Hampton Georgia. I think it belongs to AT&T.
In your 2nd post, that looks like a Radar dish you might would see at an airport?

Al

ya it worked earlier i dont know what happened. :rolleyes:

Just some pics I took today. I am still adjusting the string, but the string test indicates I have no warping :) Hope its ok to post these pics here and that it doesn't slow anyones computer down. Anyway, I threw one in of my son and daughter before her haircut...

probably shoulda mowed before taking a picture :( nobody look at that! :D

Attachments

• DSCN0261.JPG
    DSCN0261.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCN0271.JPG
    DSCN0271.JPG
    433.7 KB · Views: 328
  • DSCN0253.JPG
    DSCN0253.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN0189.JPG
    DSCN0189.JPG
    471.7 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCN0262.JPG
    DSCN0262.JPG
    760 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Just some pics I took today. I am still adjusting the string, but the string test indicates I have no warping :) Hope its ok to post these pics here and that it doesn't slow anyones computer down. Anyway, I threw one in of my son and daughter before her haircut...

probably shoulda mowed before taking a picture :( nobody look at that! :D

Not sure I understand the geometry of that mount ? Dish ?

Wyr

Yeah, its still a little uglified paintwise :) I just haven't gotten around to ordering new ribbon cable and that corrosion HD, or prettying up the dish. It worked great over at my dads house, he didn't have sparklies on the Hbo's or whatever till the pole went out of level. He's 20 mins away from me, and it didn't seem at the time that the settings were working so I moved them. If thats what you mean, as in flawed. I don't think thats my problem. I just need to use one of those super sat finders :) Also checking if I have the feedhorn in the true middle, but I am having a hard time using my head and figuring how i can accurately line this stuff up, without buying that $150 feedhorn laser. Any ideas? The dish moving arm moves the right half of the mount. (is this called a western setup?) the middle of that square polar axis is a pivot point. The dish origionally came with a M/A Comm descrambler, so im hoping it had something to do with that company, and not all homemade, but i don't know. it'll go east until that rusted weld of the mount touches the bottom left bolt on the pole mount. Might even like to change to quad leg, but that may be above me at the moment. I want to be a real hobbist and play with different feedhorns eventually, hopefully. The dish depth is 18.5 inches, is this average or acceptable for keeping out TI?

Last edited:
Somery:

That's nice heavy duty construction on the mount. It's the first polar mount I've seen that the polar axis wasn't on the centerline of the dish. Something tells me that there would be a slight error in pointing angle, but most likely not enough to realize. I can understand the logic in it's design. The actuator attachment is to the dish mount and not on an extended arm or on the dish as some are.

sats

Here's Some Pictures Of My FTA Dish And Regural Dish.

Attachments

• DSCF0046.JPG
    DSCF0046.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCF0045.JPG
    DSCF0045.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCF0044.JPG
    DSCF0044.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF0043.JPG
    DSCF0043.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 212
  • DSCF0042.JPG
    DSCF0042.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 251
My polar mount is offcenter mounted on the dish too. I have a brand new sami mesh 7.5' dish.

I think it actually in some manner improves the tracking depending on whether you are closer to the east coast or west coast.

Superior antenna asked me my location when ordering so they would know which side of the mount the polar axis would be.

My polar mount is offcenter mounted on the dish too. I have a brand new sami mesh 7.5' dish.

I think it actually in some manner improves the tracking depending on whether you are closer to the east coast or west coast.

Superior antenna asked me my location when ordering so they would know which side of the mount the polar axis would be.

Post Some Pictures Of It In here we'd like to see it

new dishes

Got 2 New Dish's Today 14 foot paraclipse and a 10 foot winegard which when i took it down it fell face first and bent the feedhorn back ahhhh it made me sad

Attachments

• DSCF0050.JPG
    DSCF0050.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCF0052.JPG
    DSCF0052.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 238
ROFL!!!! hahahahaha poor bent dish you should take the feedarm off that echofart and put it on there :) Or whatever else that gooseneck was. Then again, the screen's all messed up too? May be worth some as scrap? hate say that about a big dish, but....

The big one's pretty. Try to bury the pole four or five feet on that baby, and crank down on the pole mount bolts. 14 foot? wow thats big. So it was bigger than the 12 you origionally thought it was? makes your driveway look like a sidewalk :) and pretty soon airplanes will use your lot as a landmark.

Last edited:
Paraclipse

Got A Few Recent Picture's I 'd Like To Add

Attachments

• DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF0064.JPG
    DSCF0064.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF0062.JPG
    DSCF0062.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 188
If Anyone Has Any Photo's To Share Post Them Here :)

here's 1

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1155035174041890420SLALzE

That's Aurthur! Guess whos been to Goonhilly:) Did you do the optional tour where you get to climb up inside of it? The smaller KU dishes at the base are pretty cool to you get to steer them around and lock signals yourself inside the info. centre.
Here is a couple I snaped many years ago on a trip around Australia
The first is a thing they called the sugar scoop at a disused OTC station in Western Australia. The rx/tx wave guide is in the top slightly convexed section.
The second a terestial dish for telephone way out in the middle of nowhere, cental Aust. The towers are a long way apart out that way.
The 3rd. pic. is Stanley satellite station near HongKong.

Attachments

• Sugar Scoop0001.JPG
    Sugar Scoop0001.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Phone Dish0001.JPG
    Phone Dish0001.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 182
  • stanley.jpg
    stanley.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 225
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)