Big satellite dish (New Birdview) to be given away- Fort Garland, CO

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Man, that is the perfect reason to drive to Colorado! What a GREAT excuse to go!
If I can arrange vacation and some kind of vehicle enough to BRING that baby home, it'd go well
with my other two! I'm lobbying to move up in the BVOC.

Last edited:
Here are some more picts of the dish--for whomever in wish of it.
IMG_0595.JPG

WOW! Great condition. That would be an excellent addition to any dish farm! If only I was a bit closer. :(

Just Google mapped the route... Only 17hr 41min - 1163 miles x 2 x 14 MPG = 166 gallons
$460 for an excellent condition Birdview .... Tempted!!!

Its in much better condition than mine was when I got it. Love that pedestal base!

If I didn't already have one I would definitely get this.

Reactions: Titanium
It's the 35+ hours of driving that I wouldn't put any price tag on!

Maybe if it was strapped on a pallet, a local lift truck was available and a partially empty long-haul passing through... am I dreaming? :)

This must not go to a scrapper! Anyone???

Working on it......
Figuring driving time, other factors and rental U-haul open trailer to bring it home.....and finding co-driver.
"COULD" be a fun road trip...and I need a vacation.

Yea...still mulling over it. That's a full day's 600 mile drive one way for me to go fetch it. I would need to rent a flat bed trailer as I don't think I can tie it down on my pickup truck. Plus, I'm still waiting to hear from a local neighbor on his dish that's the same size. That would be about $200 worth of gas plus trailer rental. Tough call.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but remember a stock BirdView needs some serious modifications to operate with todays equipment. We have not seen the LNB(F) on the dish and no one knows if the position sensor has been changed from the potentiometer to a reed switch and magnet wheel yet. That mast is most desirable. :) BV owners know the pole is specific to the mount. There is a large bolt that attaches the mount to the mast from the top.

I lucked onto a Birdview maybe six years ago 8.5 feet across. Looks like the same model. For those who are mechanically inclined, it isn't all that hard to do the modification. Somewhere on this site will be the diagram having a circle with 32 1/4 inch holes in it. Print that out and glue it on a 1/4 inch thick piece of plastic, Then carefully cut it out and drill the holes. I placed my plastic disk all drilled on a piece of steel with a piece of saran wrap in between. I alternated the polarity on the neodymium magnets I put in the holes n-s-n-s etc They stuck to the steel. After all magnets were in, I used crazy glue to hold them in place. The saran wrap prevented them from sticking to the steel. I got the reed switch from Radio Shack.

You attach the magnet disk to the half inch shaft using collars with set screws. If the disk is a little too thick, it isn't hard to carefully trim them thinner with a spade bit for wood. A few modified nylon parts from Home Depot ( for mounting the reed switch) and I had basically everything I needed.

It's a weekend job, and not heavy work. The heavy part on these is erecting the dish. I did that alone - pretty tough.

Still, I am glad I have it. I have gotten the last three Pacquiao fights ( 20 minute delays - almost live) I live on the PBS satellite at 125. I like NASA at 105, 87 is cool for retro stuff. The Birdview is a precision dish that gets it all.

Do it. I don't regret it

Reactions: N6BY and Titanium
This is soooo tempting. According to MapQuest I'm about 3 1/2 hours away. The problem is I'm kind of an old guy and getting it off the post and into the back of my truck might be more than I can handle. My wife says we should just go for it. She's game and I'm trying to recruit my son to help.

So how much does just the reflector surface weight? Anyone know?

Reactions: fred555
This is soooo tempting. According to MapQuest I'm about 3 1/2 hours away. The problem is I'm kind of an old guy and getting it off the post and into the back of my truck might be more than I can handle. My wife says we should just go for it. She's game and I'm trying to recruit my son to help.

So how much does just the reflector surface weight? Anyone know?
About 100 pounds. The motor is also very heavy -- two strong people needed for that too.

Thanks, 100 lbs isn't bad. I use to have an 8 ft Prodelin dish (one piece fiberglass) that weighted in excessive of 250 lbs for just the reflector. It was a great dish, but a little unwieldy. I was worried it might be something like that.

Would it be best to take the dish off the motor first, then the motor off the post?

PM sent to hs_sanluisvalley

Reactions: N6BY and Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.