Big Storm Last Night.......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Inno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
NW Ontario, Canada
Pizza pan dishes trembled and gave up even trying to get a good signal........the picture was all broken up over it.
Enter C-Band..........torrential downpour which took out the Bell dish completely and still a quality of 99 on my 4DTV setup with a rock solid picture.
Yes, this is a phenomenon known to many, it's no new news but when it actually happens to you........the first major storm since setting up my first C-band dish in probably 6-8 years........and no signal related issue whatsoever, it's a BIG deal.
Chalk another one up for C-Band.

Inno
How much rain did you get? Here in Mpls we got 30 drops but I know in Northern MN they got between 5-6 inches of rain. Brainerd/Aitkin/Lake Mille Lacs area got 5 inches of rain :eek:

According to accuweather we only got about 1.4". It seemed like a lot more when it was coming down but I guess it wasn't really heavy for too long.
It was good though, we definitely needed it. The lawn was getting dry and cracked.

I love C band in big storms, ku is gone C is holding on like nothing is happening. Yes C band is the greatest, wonder why all the major cable and network channels use it? Because it works :) You think that would be a selling point for the 4DTV.

According to accuweather we only got about 1.4". It seemed like a lot more when it was coming down but I guess it wasn't really heavy for too long.
It was good though, we definitely needed it. The lawn was getting dry and cracked.
1.4" inches?
You mean to tell me you actually got rain?! :eek:

Remember looking out the winter when NASA channel went out and seeing a sheet of rain coming over the 500. :rolleyes:

Posts like this just serve to remind me WHY I constantly have lower Quality than the rest of you at 99%Q :D
1-2 inches per storm is average. :eek:
I know the pains of rain fade ;)
At least the dry season has finally come and I can get things peaked to show me a maximum.

I love C band in big storms, ku is gone C is holding on like nothing is happening. Yes C band is the greatest, wonder why all the major cable and network channels use it? Because it works :) You think that would be a selling point for the 4DTV.

It's even true for my mini-BUD . The signal does not degrade very much at all, even though ku, including my dishnet sub is knocked out. The lower frequency clearly penetrates the atmosphere better than the higher Ku freqs.

:)

I think it has to do with the fact that the higher frequencies have shorter wavelengths therefore a large raindrop is sufficient to block an entire wave or perhaps a stream of them..........I think that's how it was explained to me.
The larger the raindrops, the worse the rain fade.
Either way, glad I had the C-Band!

I think it has to do with the fact that the higher frequencies have shorter wavelengths therefore a large raindrop is sufficient to block an entire wave or perhaps a stream of them..........I think that's how it was explained to me.
The larger the raindrops, the worse the rain fade.
Either way, glad I had the C-Band!

That's about the story. I was a radio tech when we switched from a 400Mhz repeated system to an 800 MHZ trunked system, and the newer , higher freq system never performed as well in the auto plants, because of it's lack of penetration. We spent quite quite a bit of time putting in bi-directional amps in strategic locations to make the system acceptable. Lower frequency has better penetration through any media.
:)

This was heavy wet snow that we had that day. I've had snow since then that the G16 dish had a good 6-7 inches at the bottom of the dish. Quick swipe and good as new :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)