Big Ten to Expand?

Pitt would have to schedule WVU out of the Big East as their cupcake for the Backyard Brawl.

According to some reports I've heard, the expansion could be as many as 3 teams, to a total of 14 Big Ten teams.

I heard UConn, Pitt, Missouri, and WVU are top candidates.

Screw Notre Dame, I grew up thinking that would be a great addition to the conference, but recent years have really soured that idea in mind.

OK for all you Pitt haters. Yes it would help Pitt a lot to go to the big ten for football and it would help the Big ten to add Pitt for basketball. Academically Pitt is better than most of your schools.

Another note I guess Pitt will have to schedual cup cake teams for out of conference football games like penn state does.

I think Pitt would be a fine addition to the BIG 10.

I heard UConn, Pitt, Missouri, and WVU are top candidates.

WVU is an esentually open admissions state college. Sharply contrasted to the AAU research heavy institutions of the Big 10. In TV terms, it brings nothing to the table, the largest DMA in the state is only #63, and 1/3rd of its population is made up of Ohio and Kentucky counties. Further about 1/3rd of the state gets its TV from big city DMAs (Washington and Pittsburgh) where the WV counties make up less than 5% of the DMAs' population.

Further, as we know from sworn court records, during the great ACC Move-Up, WVU did not apply to move up, why would it change that marketing scheme?

Knowing the Big-10, they'll mull over this decision for a year or so. This is a big decision and they should take their time.

They posted on the website, it will be about 12 to 18 months.

Big Ten Statement on Expansion - BIG TEN OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

I think the Big Ten is going to make a push here to be a top conference in the years to come. Not sure if they can do it, but I think they are thinking in these terms, at least publicly.

The only football "super-conference" was the 96-99 WAC, which failed totally and led to the reformation of the (more or less) original WAC as the Mountain West.

Twelve is the magic number. There is no reason to have more.

The only football "super-conference" was the 96-99 WAC, which failed totally and led to the reformation of the (more or less) original WAC as the Mountain West.

Twelve is the magic number. There is no reason to have more.

Doesn't the Big East have 16 in basketball? The BIG 10 adding 5 more would solve the problem of what to call the conference. They would become the the BIG 16, and the Big 12 would (what's left) could be absorbed by the Pac 10, and the WAC or the Mountain west, or whatever is out there.

Doesn't the Big East have 16 in basketball?
Matter of convenience. They were going to split it into 2 8 teams conferences (1 for the football schools and 1 for the non-football schools) until the NCAA told them that whoever was the new conference wouldn't keep it's automatic bid to the B-Ball tourney.

The Big East has only 8 members for football, in fact the original set up was that the "Big East Football Conference" was a seperate legal entity that leased the Big East name and logos from the basketball league. They merged later.

The basketball conference remains unstable, and there is going to come a time when it will shrink to 12 or so members.

The Big East has only 8 members for football, in fact the original set up was that the "Big East Football Conference" was a seperate legal entity that leased the Big East name and logos from the basketball league. They merged later.

The basketball conference remains unstable, and there is going to come a time when it will shrink to 12 or so members.

Explanation please. Unstable?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)