BigTen launches 8/30 DTV-HD 9/?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
From "The evening bridge"
EchoStar Petitions For Big Ten Network Ruling
TOP STORY -- EchoStar has petitioned the Federal Communications Commission for a
declaratory ruling that would classify the soon-to-be-launched Big Ten Network as a
regional sports network, a move that would further classify the network as
programming affiliated with a pay-TV competitor under terms of News Corp.'s 2003
takeover of DIRECTV. As part of the commission's approval process that year, News
Corp. agreed to allow competitors access to affiliated programming. The Big Ten
Network, a joint venture of the Big Ten Conference and Fox Cable Services, is
scheduled to launch in August but has struggled to reach carriage agreements with
EchoStar, Comcast, Time Warner and Cox due to its rates request and demands to
be carried nationwide on the basic tier. Read tomorrow's edition of SkyREPORT for
more on this issue.

Why is it, whenever D* gets something started, E* instead of paying for it like D* does, they decide to find something D* did wrong ?
E* STILL does not have the MLB package, last I checked., it's ok for D* to put up the money but E* wants it for next to nothing.
Now D* has the Big Ten network and E* is crying about it too .... but up the money and have it, just like any other provider that wants it.

I am really glad I am not a E* sub.

Jimbo

Why is it, whenever D* gets something started, E* instead of paying for it like D* does, they decide to find something D* did wrong ?
E* STILL does not have the MLB package, last I checked., it's ok for D* to put up the money but E* wants it for next to nothing.
Now D* has the Big Ten network and E* is crying about it too .... but up the money and have it, just like any other provider that wants it.

Jimbo

Fox News Corporation owns 49% of the Big Ten Network (the Big Ten owns 51% of the BTN), so I am not sure I would characterize it as "crying." But I am beginning to think that it is unlikely that E* and the BTN will reach an agreement before opening kickoff.

By the way, go Bucks! :)

Fox News Corporation owns 49% of the Big Ten Network (the Big Ten owns 51% of the BTN), so I am not sure I would characterize it as "crying." But I am beginning to think that it is unlikely that E* and the BTN will reach an agreement before opening kickoff.

By the way, go Bucks! :)

Would that actually suprise anyone, it is sports after all, it's not compelling content.:rolleyes:

Jimbo

Well put and I agree 100% it`s always something with them and new channels, especially if it involves sports programming.

Right now in West Lafayette, the only carriers of the BTN will be DIrecTV and I heard somewhere that the residence hall TV service will carry it as well. Anyway, I'm interested to see how the whole thing with the BTN pans out.

Yes it is !!! of course this channel only interests a small portion of the country.
Q. Will those outside of the general Big Ten area get the channel in the clear ?

Jimbo

My question also - moved from Michigan to SC, would love this channel!

Michigan has to be national to watch them here - games on ABC are always
regional and we get stuck with the EZZ (er, ACC) down here...

Hopefully it won't be spot beam...

On Directv, the Big Ten Network will be national, not regional. So fans in SC will be able to watch the BTN, just as fans in Bozeman, MT (myself) will be able to see it. And to answer a question from the prior page, there is no additional cost (at this point) for Directv subscribers that have the extended digital package (whatever they are calling it now). Of course, with all of the HD channels coming in the next year, prices for all of these new choices will ultimately be reflected in a new price for the consumers...

On Directv, the Big Ten Network will be national, not regional. So fans in SC will be able to watch the BTN, just as fans in Bozeman, MT (myself) will be able to see it. And to answer a question from the prior page, there is no additional cost (at this point) for Directv subscribers that have the extended digital package (whatever they are calling it now). Of course, with all of the HD channels coming in the next year, prices for all of these new choices will ultimately be reflected in a new price for the consumers...

If you look thru the FAQ I posted earlier, it said that the BTN will show in the immediate Big Ten area with some overflow, also mentioning that you may be able to sub to it if you chose to want it.

Jimbo

Oswald,
Here's the link, it was in a different thread.

Big Ten Network - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Will I have to pay more for the Big Ten Network?

A: We believe that if you live within the eight states of the Big Ten footprint, you should not have to pay any more to receive the network, which is why we are asking for the network to be carried on basic cable. If you already get 50 to 60 channels as part of your basic cable/satellite package, we feel that the Big Ten Network should be part of that lineup. Since the Big Ten Conference is about more than just sports, we also will feature over 600 hours of campus programming covering the most creative, entertaining and interesting features of your favorite universities, such as arts and music programs, top 10 alumni and ground-breaking research findings. It's hard to imagine finding over 50 channels more important to a viewer within the Big Ten community than the Big Ten Network.

Outside of the eight-state region, you may be required to subscribe to a digital level of service, which could include many other channels in addition to the Big Ten Network.

Jimbo

Nice thread Jimbo...but, that's just a Big10 Network spin, they are talking to and about the cable companies. On D*, we will just plain get it, no matter where we are.

Nice thread Jimbo...but, that's just a Big10 Network spin, they are talking to and about the cable companies. On D*, we will just plain get it, no matter where we are.

You think so ???
I don't know, I just posted what I read and thats the way I took it to mean.
So if your with a cable company you think you WILL get it nationwide, but not with D* ???

I guess we'll wait and see ....

Jimbo

Last edited:
No ,no,no, the other way around. I think that we will get all of the games, nationwide with D*. Cable I believe will be the regional thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)