Bird poop on dish

james55

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Santa Paula, CA
Has anyone concluded that bird poop on the dish can interfere with reception? Or is it a non-issue?

If it is an issue, has anyone devised a bird roost deterrent?

If I could teach the bird(s) to face the other direction when roosting . . . - but I guess that's easier said than done - james

I would suspect that amount of build-up that would be required would also induce structural failure. Don't want to see a photo, but would suspect that the signal degradation would be minimal for surface droppings. The dropping would also need to have substantial amounts of RF reflecting matter (metals, etc.).

Try attaching some foil streamers or glue some spikes to discourage landings. Place a hawk decoy on or nearby?

In my line of work - maintaining aids to navigation (aka channel markers) for maritime traffic - we have to deal with the after-effects (guano) of roosting birds quite a bit.

Most of the lanterns have a conical top that prevents roosting. Our biggest issue has to do with solar panels that are mounted at about 45º towards the south. The solar panels have mounting bolts at the corners; over the top of the exposed bolts (head on underside, threads and nut towards the sky) we attach bird springs. These are nothing more than ~16" coiled springs that waggle around and discourage roosting. They help, but are not foolproof. I can't tell you how many times I have pulled up to a light to see a bird standing on the springs! :D

We also use a similar system for horizontally mounted solar panels on buoys.

I have attached a diagram to illustrate (spring is bent to vertical in diagram, at top of solar panel).

You may be able to come up with something similar for the top of your dish.

Attachments

• TL.png
    TL.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 488
Thanks RedSavina, That's an interesting thumbnail. Since Glorystar tended to categorize the bird dropping problem as minimal, I'll probably {try} to ignore the droppings.

I'm thinking supergluing tacks around the top portion of the rim should cause the birds to seek another perch - james

That may work out. Just don't tell your local birding folks! Someone is bound to get the idea that your approach is cruel to the birds. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)