Mercury II Receiver Losing Time

midihead

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Just installed my Glorystar system. I am noticing that my Mercury II receiver is losing time. In 1 day, it has fallen behind by about 3 minutes. I've had it installed for about 3 days and have had to reset the time twice.

Is this a known issue and, if so, is there a fix for it? This will obviously complicate using the timer since, if I don't keep resetting the clock, it will keep losing time and won't start at the correct time of day.

Thanks for your help. :)

When the Mercury II receiver's time is set to manual and is powered off and on, the clock resets to the nearest minute. When the receiver is left on, the clock syncs to the incoming power. If the local power company's frequency is off, then the clock will drift. This is a known issue with the majority of STB's on the market.

The new DVR1100c and the DSR100c receivers operate on GMT and syncs time with the OTA-SSU signal from a single transponder.

When set to GMT, with the proper city for my time zone, the time is WAY off (hours) and seems to change periodically to some "random" time. When set for local time, mine seems to lose about a minute every hour.

The funny thing is, the "info" display on the channels always seems to show the right time. Don't know why it's not registering on the receiver when in GMT mode.

I'm not sure whether or not AMC4 or Galaxy 25 provide a "compatible" time signal for the receiver, but the individual channels seem to carry the time accurately for the "info" display.

Most DVB-S receivers time setting operate in a manner similar to the Mercury II. What you are experiencing in the GMT mode is that the receiver will update from whichever transponder that it is left parked on. It is not an incompatibility, just irrating that the uplinkers do not reference the encoders to GMT.

If the receiver is set to GMT, the unit takes the time that is being sent by the specific transponder that the receiver is set to. Some receivers switch instantly to the time being sent, others adjust the time to the transponder time when the receiver is powered up. The Mercury does a mixture of both power-up and if it is left sitting on a transponder.

If the Mercury II receiver is set to the Manual time setting, the receiver's ability to keep correct time become dependent on the correct frequency being sent by your electric service company. Most DVBS receivers experience time issues. It would be easily resolved, but most manufacturers take the inexpensive way out and do not use internal crystal to reference.

Our previous DVR1000ci model is an example of a receiver that could accurately keep time in the manual mode as it did not require external reference for syncing in the manual mode.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts