Birdview H-H mover manual/parts listing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pryor19508808

Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
South Alabama
Seeking information on Birdview H-H mover. Need manual, and information on locating parts. Believe that the reed replacement was available until recently. Found a 8.5 in very good condition. Hate to see it go to the scrap yard.

I dont remember ever seeing an install manual for the BV mount, maybe someone else has?

Do an advanced search in the C-band forum for the search term "birdview", and usernames linuxman, radio & phlatwound. There are others, tons of BV info here.

Bottom line....grab that dish.

Reed kits are easy to make/adapt from others.

I made my own from something. Don't remember what model. It was a multipolled magnet wheel. An angle bracket under a motor mount bolt. And a reed or hall switch.

If I found my reed box I bet I have a few.

Sure, it's nice to just bolt on an adapter. Took me an entire weekend to make a 24 magnet wheel.

I wanted those same 1/4 inch magnets for another project and went to Michael's recently. Looks like they don't carry them any more, so you will have to find another source.

The most time consuming thing I did was to lay out for the magnets on the plastic disk. There is at least one template for that on this site that can be printed out. Will save a lot of time. That trusty reed switch I got from Radio Shack has been working without a hitch for years now. I remember I used a nylon screw, nuts and a nylon sleeve to make the mount for the little reed switch capsule. It allowed me to adjust for all three axes - closer and further away from the magnet wheel, turned to the optimum angle relative to the wheel, and turned inside of the sleeve to put the switch's best face forward.

I haven't touched it since the initial adjustments.

I realize that some people aren't good with tools though.

My Birdview is one of my prized possessions. It freed me completely from the tyranny of subscription tv.

Seeking information on Birdview H-H mover. Need manual, and information on locating parts. Believe that the reed replacement was available until recently. Found a 8.5 in very good condition. Hate to see it go to the scrap yard.

As the others have said, there are no parts. If the motor is bad you MAY be able to get a local starter/alternator shop to rework it. My local shop wouldn't touch mine, so YMMV. The rest of the parts are general industial parts, like bolts, bushings, etc., might be found in a industrial supply catalog/internet site.

I'll go out on a limb here, and say if the dish isn't a ball of rust, when you take that cover off the motor will likely be in fine shape, just requiring a little cleanup and greasing to work like new. Go get that dish!

Before I got mine it was apparently sitting in all kinds of weather for a decade. Enclosed in its plastic case, I would also bet that the motor is still working.

Did I read somewhere that a Von Wiese actuator motor fits?

I was able to get all parts for the reed modification locally.I used a four inch PVC pipe end cap for the disk (I wanted something thicker than was being used by other members) I cut the disk out of the cap with a three inch hole saw. With the two half inch ID collars on it, I had to make the disk a little thinner where the collars butted to it, which I did with wood spade bit, I think 1 1/8 inch. Did it with a table top drill press with the disk clamped to the bed. After I got the disk laid out and drilled, alternated the for the magnet holes ( a real trial and error production), I put a piece of saran wrap over a piece of steel, put the disk on it, alternated the magnet polarity, and when I put the magnets in the disk holes, if they didn't immediately go to the steel side, I pushed them. Then when all magnets were in, I crazy glued them into the disk. Peeling the saran wrap off was easy.

Anyway, It took me a couple of weeks to figure all of that out and do it.

Bet I could do it again in a day with the template freeing me from an exacting layout.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)