Command Performance H to H

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stecle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Between the North and South Pole
I was finally able to obtain this mount, that I have been negotiating with the owner for months now. It was on a bar, and the owner thought his dishes were still worth the thousands he paid for them back in the 80's lol.

This is the biggest, heavy-duty, H to H mount that I have ever seen. The housing is solid cast and 2 of us struggled to lift it off the pipe. When I get time I am going to take it apart and get everything moving freely before putting any power to it. Probably hasn't been used in 25 years.

Attachments

• Command Performance (8).jpg
    Command Performance (8).jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Command Performance (7).jpg
    Command Performance (7).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Command Performance (5).jpg
    Command Performance (5).jpg
    222 KB · Views: 163
  • Command Performance (9).jpg
    Command Performance (9).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Command Performance (2).jpg
    Command Performance (2).jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 166
I was finally able to obtain this mount, that I have been negotiating with the owner for months now. It was on a bar, and the owner thought his dishes were still worth the thousands he paid for them back in the 80's lol.

This is the biggest, heavy-duty, H to H mount that I have ever seen. The housing is solid cast and 2 of us struggled to lift it off the pipe. When I get time I am going to take it apart and get everything moving freely before putting any power to it. Probably hasn't been used in 25 years.
If it's cast as you say, be careful because that means it can shatter.

Reactions: stecle
My brother, who has experience with metal and welding, thinks it is cast. Of course he could be wrong. lol
It very well could be. I have an old Ajak HH drive that's cast. Came from a person that used it on an old Winegard dish. I planned to use it, but never got around to it. Maybe I'll put it up for sale sometime, but it's so freaking heavy, it would cost a fortune to ship.

I wonder if that requires a special type of control box to operate? Professional model rather than hobbiest?
Looks like it will handle about anything mounted to it.

There's an older post that seems to be a dish made by the same company. MZT (Yugoslavia) Mount looks similar except not H2H.

There's an older post that seems to be a dish made by the same company. MZT (Yugoslavia) Mount looks similar except not H2H.

Thanks for the info! The dish in the older post is the same as the one I took down. Unfortunately most of the panels were destroyed.

The dish was a real pain to take apart. They used round stove bolts with a slot head. Why??? lol Of course they were all rusted so I basically had to use 2 vice grips and break many off these off.

The H to H mount I have was also made in Yugoslavia. I will take a few more pictures and post them.

Some more pictures.

Attachments

• Command Performance (1).jpg
    Command Performance (1).jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Command Performance (3).jpg
    Command Performance (3).jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Command Performance (11).jpg
    Command Performance (11).jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Command Performance (12).jpg
    Command Performance (12).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Command Performance (13).jpg
    Command Performance (13).jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Command Performance (14).jpg
    Command Performance (14).jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Command Performance (15).jpg
    Command Performance (15).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Command Performance (16).jpg
    Command Performance (16).jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 148
I remember seeing this antenna and HH mount at a satellite trade show in the early 90s. Obviously the manufacturer became a casualty of the war in Yugoslavia, and likely went out of business. The solid reflector had some of the most robust and accurate forming that I ever saw in my life. Motor drive looked very heavy duty, although the manufacturing design of the sensor assembly was unlike anything sold in the North American market. If you can identify specific components, perhaps Digi-Key in Minnesota might have a proper replacement part. Good luck! Added note: the distributor for antenna and motor was located somewhere in southern Ontario, but I do not recall their name.

What a honker! If the gear train and motor can be torn down and refurbed. That's most of the battle.
What voltage is the motor designed for?
There are 2 high current limit switch diodes. Probably good.
Limit switches are cherry microswitch style off-the-shelvers.
The encoder is no issue at all. All of the electronics on the board could be bypassed and modernized with a simple u-shaped optical sensor or hall sensor. The encoder wheel could be used as is or a new disc made with 2mm neodymium disc magnets pressed and glued in evenly spaced holes. Or a series of holes drilled around the circumference and painted black for the optical sensor. Both sensors requiring ~ +5 VDC, ground, with sensor output emulating dry contacts. Usable with most any actuator controller.
I'd do it!

Reactions: mr3p and stecle
I remember seeing this antenna and HH mount at a satellite trade show in the early 90s. Obviously the manufacturer became a casualty of the war in Yugoslavia, and likely went out of business. The solid reflector had some of the most robust and accurate forming that I ever saw in my life. Motor drive looked very heavy duty, although the manufacturing design of the sensor assembly was unlike anything sold in the North American market. If you can identify specific components, perhaps Digi-Key in Minnesota might have a proper replacement part. Good luck! Added note: the distributor for antenna and motor was located somewhere in southern Ontario, but I do not recall their name.
The distributor in southern Ontario you might be thinking of was Tee-Com. They were the largest distributor in Canada, but I don't think they carried these. They sold a mesh dish called the Alpha 10 which was very well made with a big 36" ring. They looked a lot like the Cabot and perhaps were manufactured at that plant.

I vaguely remember the Command Performance dishes in the catalogue of a distributor called C.L. Blue which were based in Western Canada. I am guessing that is probably where this mount came from. Of course that was over 30 years ago so I might be mistaken.

The distributor in southern Ontario you might be thinking of was Tee-Com. They were the largest distributor in Canada, but I don't think they carried these. They sold a mesh dish called the Alpha 10 which was very well made with a big 36" ring. They looked a lot like the Cabot and perhaps were manufactured at that plant.

I vaguely remember the Command Performance dishes in the catalogue of a distributor called C.L. Blue which were based in Western Canada. I am guessing that is probably where this mount came from. Of course that was over 30 years ago so I might be mistaken.
I grabbed a floor model of an Alpha 10 at a trade show in Las Vegas. It was actually a private label version made for Tee Comm by SAMI / Superior Antenna in Arkansas, back in 1990.
Tee Comm was also one of the backers of the original Alphastar Ku-band system.

What a honker! If the gear train and motor can be torn down and refurbed. That's most of the battle.
What voltage is the motor designed for?
There are 2 high current limit switch diodes. Probably good.
Limit switches are cherry microswitch style off-the-shelvers.
The encoder is no issue at all. All of the electronics on the board could be bypassed and modernized with a simple u-shaped optical sensor or hall sensor. The encoder wheel could be used as is or a new disc made with 2mm neodymium disc magnets pressed and glued in evenly spaced holes. Or a series of holes drilled around the circumference and painted black for the optical sensor. Both sensors requiring ~ +5 VDC, ground, with sensor output emulating dry contacts. Usable with most any actuator controller.
I'd do it!
I am guessing that it is 36V. I am not going to power it up until I disengage the motor from the drive assembly and verify that it will turn freely. I am hoping that a simple cleaning/degreasing will be all that is needed without having to change any parts.

Reactions: primestar31
Update us on how the project is coming around...
Unfortunately I haven't had time to do anything with the mount. I am also embarrassed to say that I have 2 other H to H mounts that I need to rebuild. I am currently working on a project with my 2.4M offset prodelin that I will post on the forum soon.

Being a self employed business owner doesn't leave much time for hobbies. I promised my GF a road trip to Alaska this summer, but the business won again.

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA
Unfortunately I haven't had time to do anything with the mount. I am also embarrassed to say that I have 2 other H to H mounts that I need to rebuild. I am currently working on a project with my 2.4M offset prodelin that I will post on the forum soon.

Being a self employed business owner doesn't leave much time for hobbies. I promised my GF a road trip to Alaska this summer, but the business won again.
ok I understand and know the feeling, I am looking for a H to H motor myself let me know when you get the time to finish it..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)

Latest posts