Birdview harvesting, California style:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
On a nice clear 'n warm Saturday, about noon, a buddy and I went to take down my Birdview.
Below are pictures of the ordeal - :eek:

0 - 1 : First, we have rear and front views of the target.
It's a beauty. Quite clean, too!

2 : I'd sprayed on PBblaster and other nut-busting lubes several times over the preceding two weeks.
ALL the hardware came lose without a complaint.
And there was no anti-seize compound on the threads, either.

3 : We took off the dish by removing the 12 bolts on the rear.
Carefully, three of us slid the 100 lbs dish down the mount, and put it on the ground.
Just to the right of where the gloves are laying, is a clean spot on the dish rim.
That was effected by simply rubbing the dish with the gloves, so I don't think cleaning it will be much challenge.

4 : The mount was awkward to grab. The lower bracket pivots freely.
We got hold of it, and lifted it off the pole without too much huffing and puffing.
It looks relatively clean inside, thanks to the mild 'n dry California weather.
More pictures of the guts will be taken after getting the thing on the work bench.

5 : Then we made our first mistake: digging out the pole. - :rolleyes:
There was a 2x2 foot slab of concrete at the base of the pole, and it was a good 5 inches thick!
Below that, was a three foot deep, 11..12 inch hole full of cement!
It took a lot of sledge hammer and shovel work to get through the slab and attack the lower end of the pole.

6 - 7 : Eventually, we got the pole where it would move (after several breaks).
We worked the pole from side to side, filling dirt 'n chips beneath it, 'till it had risen at least a foot.
Still it resisted, and more sledge hammer work was needed!

8 : Eventually, the pole was pulled out.
Note the damage to the anti-rotation fins.
That was rust we think from not having complete encapsulation by the concrete in the hole.
I plan to wire-brush and paint, so the next 25 years in the ground should be easy.

9 : I'm 6'2", holding up the 9+ foot pole.
When they planted these Birdviews, they really intended them to last!

The bulk (prophetic word to use) of the work had to do with the concrete on the pole.
Probably 3..4 of the 4..5 hours we spent.

I have another BUD to rescue soon.
It's mounted 9' high, and I had visions of planting it 9' over my property.
Well, guess what?
It's getting chopped off at ground level, and I'll bring home the 9' that's sticking up!
The three feet in the ground can just stay there!
No more concrete digging for this green guy. :eek:

(all pictures have been cropped, resized, and JPG compressed, but should still show plenty of detail)

Attachments

• 00-overview-1525.jpg
    00-overview-1525.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 438
  • 01-overview-PICT4417.jpg
    01-overview-PICT4417.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 411
  • 02-Soaked-PICT4419.jpg
    02-Soaked-PICT4419.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 399
  • 03-dish-DSCN1087.jpg
    03-dish-DSCN1087.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 407
  • 04-mount-DSCN1086.jpg
    04-mount-DSCN1086.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 423
  • 05-DSCN1089cropsize.jpg
    05-DSCN1089cropsize.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 389
  • 06-pushPole-DSCN1096.jpg
    06-pushPole-DSCN1096.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 451
  • 07-poleHole-DSCN1094size.jpg
    07-poleHole-DSCN1094size.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 401
  • 08-poleBottom-DSCN1097.jpg
    08-poleBottom-DSCN1097.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 404
  • 09-9ft-pole-DSCN1098.jpg
    09-9ft-pole-DSCN1098.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 445
Excellent job Anole. I dug up a pole last fall with a lot of cement as well. Luckily for me the owner brought his tractor out and lifted it up with the bucket and put it in my truck. You are lucky the cement came off. The cement on this one is as hard as, well, cement. Nice dish looking forward to the install pics.

Oh, I forgot to mention: the Birdview poles are six inches in diameter!
It's some sort of tubing, not pipe.
But still, with concrete in one end, it was a big job for two guys to carry!

The machinist I got the dish from thought the pole and mount had a black oxide finish.
Well, from pictures I've seen, and looking at mine, I've got to say, it's not the right stuff for outdoor use.
I'm open to suggestions, but am thinking wire brush, scotch brite, and some sort of rust-adhering paints will be in my future.
Both for the pole, and for the mount.

The one seriously rusty place, was inside the cap.
That's the top of the pole, under the mount.
And when we threw down the pole onto the patio, some water ran out. :mad:
One big bolt with a 1 1/8" head, holds the mount to a plate welded inside the top of the pole.
The big bolt is reusable, but I'm going to look for a more serious cure for all that rust.

We jokingly talked about filling the pole with oil.
But besides the potential risk of leakage, it might take four gallons!

You are lucky the cement came off.
That other guy you see in the pictures is the dish's former owner.
He beat the hell out of the cement with a sledge hammer.
It didn't just come off all by itself!
It had a whole lot of help!

Not sure how to get the cement out of the bottom of the pole.
Maybe it won't matter.
Wanted access to be able to clean and prep the inside.
There's really no access from the top.

Anole, as for the 'rust-adhering paint' look into a product called 'Extend' made by DuPont.
We used buckets of the stuff in the mid 90's on some old blending equipment. It looks like buttermilk, but when you paint it over bare or rusty metal it turns solid black and it's almost like it's part of the metal after that. You can paint right over it.
I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but the stuff really does work.

Serious work Anole, I didnt realize those things used such big pipe, I think I'll rent a hammer drill or jackhammer if I ever decide to go after one. Or just leave it in the ground! That busting with sledgehammers and railroad bars is for the birds!! Could prob get the concrete out of the end with a hammer drill if got one, or a hammer and rock drill. Lots of pecking though lol.
But man, they are great looking dishes. And I bet that one would've withstood the big one.

Very nice, Anole, another one is rescued! :)

Do I see the old blue potentiometer setup peeking out.....what ratio is your mount?

Looking forward to the next installment. :cool:

Anole, as for the 'rust-adhering paint' look into a product called 'Extend' made by DuPont.
It looks like buttermilk, but when you paint it over bare or rusty metal it turns solid black and it's almost like it's part of the metal after that.
You can paint right over it.
I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but the stuff really does work.
Not at all. I've heard something about a product like this.

A buddy painted his hood with some, and it was black like you described.
He didn't paint over it, and it subsequently rusted through the layer.
Maybe it just converts rust to a primer coat. ? . ?

Oh, he called me while typing, and said there's a different product which dries black 'n shiny and works better.
Hammerite - something.
It also bonds with the rust and provides a complete solution.

I recall hearing my Dad say Rustoleum had fish oil in it.
He used to swear by it. Never actually ran my own experiments.

Stogie was telling me something about an industrial rust inhibitor, maybe for the inside of the pipe.
Will have to get with him and learn more about it.

I'll look into all these solutions, but I'm taking all the input anyone has to offer. :cool:

Congrats on the Birdview Anole. I also saw that blue pot and now I have someone to follow to see what I will do with mine. I posted last nite about a friend bringing me some high tech hall efect sensors and wheels,so maybe we can try those and the reed setup and see what works better. I do nkow these hall effect sensors are military grade and I can get my hands on a few if they work.

Congratulations Anole! Great looking dish. The whole concrete and pole in the ground thing is why I waited so long on my Paraclipse, until the owner uprooted the thing himself and threw it all out for the trash last year :eek:

Pouring concrete for a new install can be just as much of a pain. I helped a friend plant a BUD in his yard, and we used quite a bit of concrete. I'm lazy, that's why I'm trying to find a BUD NPRM for my Perfect 10 ;)

Congratulations Anole, nice dish, and that is one mounting huge pipe for the Dish. It looks like it was in concrete, how did you get the concrete off the pipe?

Should have read your first post in more detail, I guess there's nothing some hard work and a good sledgehammer can't resolve.

Nice find,

When I dug out a Unimesh that I found on craigslist, my son and I took turns on the concrete withe a sledge hammer. After an hour of chipping away at it, we decided it was time to bring in a bigger weapon.

So we went and rented a jackhammer. It cut through the concrete like butter and we took the pole out in minutes.

Maybe someday I'll get lucky and find a BirdView here in Northern California.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts