Birdview Number Three is mine!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Got a call from my note this afternoon, drove back over and secured the deal.

Told them I would get it in the next two or three weeks. :)

They are happy and I am happy. Now just have to get it home and start the process.

This one already has the reed sensor conversion kit on it. :cool:

It will go to my family setup and replace the Pinnacle which I might move over to replace the SAMI for their 4DTV setup since most of it is on C-Band. :D

Here are the close up pics:

nhf-solid-bv-front.jpg nhf-solid-bv-front-logo.jpg nhf-solid-bv-rrear.jpg

nhf-solid-bv-lrear.jpg nhf-solid-bv-whole-rear.jpg

Thanks Iceberg!

I am going to take some new pictures of my dish farm and post them in your thread if the stinking weather ever co-operates again. :eek:

That's a nice thread, and your "farm" looks great!

Hey linuxman did that one get much use lately, just wondering if the motor part still worked.
And one other question, were there more than one size Birdview? I never saw that many, but I think the ones I did see, way back when, looked to be the same size, about 8'.
You got a system going there now, I think, for rounding up Birdviews!

Hey linuxman did that one get much use lately, just wondering if the motor part still worked.
And one other question, were there more than one size Birdview? I never saw that many, but I think the ones I did see, way back when, looked to be the same size, about 8'.
You got a system going there now, I think, for rounding up Birdviews!

The guy told me it was working fine when they shut it down, so I will think positively that it will fire back up again. The others all have.

I personally have never seen anything above the 8.5 foot kind. I have read others on other forums talk about a 10 foot Birdview, but that may just be talk.

I hope so!

I just need two more to be complete. :)

I think they were all the same, I have some old books I'm going to dig for and see if they mention
any other sizes for the Birdviews . I never did know anybody who had one, nor have I ever seen a dish with that type motor in operation.

I never did know anybody who had one, nor have I ever seen a dish with that type motor in operation.
It is a combination of the motor, the parabolic form, and the surface accuracy that makes the Birdview one of the best dishes ever made.

Without the reflector, the motor is just another H-H mount. :)

On the other hand, they are among the most difficult to tune in. I have said this before, and haven't had anyone contradict me. The Birdview surface is accurate enough to pull in Ku satellites from the center and the side with almost the same signal quality. It will also pull in C-Band signals on the side on the outer ends of the arc if you aren't careful.

That's what makes it a bear to tune. :)

Beautiful Dish Linuxman, congratulations. Must be great to have room for all those Dishes, I recently picked up a 7.6 Ft Unimesh but have no idea just where I could place it if I keep my 12 Footer going.

I recently picked up a 7.6 Ft Unimesh but have no idea just where I could place it if I keep my 12 Footer going.
Thanks!

You would be surprised how close you can place them together and get the entire arc on both.

I have three dishes on the North end of the building only 25 feet apart on two, and the third is about 30 feet from the side one, and they don't interfere with each other. I also have a stationary Ku dish pointed at 87W and 97W with no interference in between those two dishes with another motorized Ku dish right there too. :)

All function properly at those distances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations

Got a call from my note this afternoon, drove back over and secured the deal.

Told them I would get it in the next two or three weeks. :)

They are happy and I am happy. Now just have to get it home and start the process.

This one already has the reed sensor conversion kit on it. :cool:

It will go to my family setup and replace the Pinnacle which I might move over to replace the SAMI for their 4DTV setup since most of it is on C-Band. :D

Congratulations on your newest fine Linuxman. Of course you know I’m envious! You sure got the Midas touch! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Awe what a shame to destroy such a pretty flower garden. Good snag linuxman. I wish i ould find one here on the west coast. Someday. Have fun with #3.

Congratulations Fred......!!! I no longer consider you lucky... You are now classified as "BeWitched"..... either you got a knack for twitching your nose, or you've got a Genie in a bottle somewhere....??

Thanks!

You would be surprised how close you can place them together and get the entire arc on both.

I have three dishes on the North end of the building only 25 feet apart on two, and the third is about 30 feet from the side one, and they don't interfere with each other. I also have a stationary Ku dish pointed at 87W and 97W with no interference in between those two dishes with another motorized Ku dish right there too. :)

All function properly at those distances.

Wow that's a lot of Dishes, how about a picture of your "Dish Farm" one of these days Fred? Where are you going to install this new Birdview Dish?

You are making me wonder if I should consider installing my newly acquired "Quad Pole"somewhere in my backyard garden for my new 7.6 Footer in the future, but for now I have a lot of work left - ie new Actuator, & likely more nuts welded on the pole cap, to get the shaky 12 Footer fully up and running.

Beautiful Dish Linuxman, congratulations. Must be great to have room for all those Dishes, I recently picked up a 7.6 Ft Unimesh but have no idea just where I could place it if I keep my 12 Footer going.
Thanks!

The surface of the roof is only 125' by 50'. That's not exactly a lot of room also taking into consideration that there is only H-H LOS on the far ends.

In the middle of the roof I only have LOS from 43W to 148W and that's only possible if the dishes are all on the West side of the roof.
Pismire said:
Awe what a shame to destroy such a pretty flower garden. Good snag linuxman. I wish i ould find one here on the west coast. Someday. Have fun with #3.
I am going to be very careful with the flowers at the bottom. The dishes are out there, just have to find them.

Hey Al.
Congratulations Fred......!!! I no longer consider you lucky... You are now classified as "BeWitched"..... either you got a knack for twitching your nose, or you've got a Genie in a bottle somewhere....??
Just have to make contacts and meet people. :)

Jsattv wrote:
Wow that's a lot of Dishes, how about a picture of your "Dish Farm" one of these days Fred? Where are you going to install this new Birdview Dish?
As I wrote above, it will go on the South end of the building to replace the Pinnacle for my family setup.

Anole wrote:
Nice ta have a plan...
... and know your limits.
Hunting dishes is all about a plan. In the past almost 2 years since I have been hunting dishes, I have cultivated more contacts in the dish world than I ever dreamed of. I have alerted all my friends to be on the lookout for dishes. I have educated them in what to look for. I have met at least a half dozen ex-dealers/installers. I talk to them, get them to jog their memory, buy a few things from them etc.

It's all part of the plan to get general directions to where these elusive dishes are located. After you get to the general location it's kind of like hunting mushrooms. The first one is the hardest to find. After that, they pop up everywhere. Once you find them, your people skills are what gets you the dish. :)

I don't believe in luck. I believe in adequate or in-adequate preparation. If your goal is to find a Birdview dish, you will find one if you work at it. :cool:

thomas34461usa wrote:
Congratulations on your newest fine Linuxman. Of course you know I’m envious! You sure got the Midas touch!
No Midas touch here. Just Blessed!!!
tvropro wrote:
Fred, you have to have more big dishes than anyone on the forum
I certainly have my share of them, but quality is what counts. It isn't enough for me to have a lot any more. I want the best I can find.

Heck I don't mind a little uniqueness as long as it performs well. :D

Went and took down number 3 today and brought it home. I decided to stop by the car wash and power wash off what I could to get it as clean as possible. Went through 3 cycles, and it still was leaving some stuff behind, so I quit.

It is now setting in it's crate on my front porch.

Finally got a motor with a 70:1 gear ratio, and the reed switch conversion kit is totally different than what they sell now. I forgot to get a picture of it, but it only has 8 magnets and mounts on the other end of the shaft. The camera is gone now until tomorrow afternoon. My 17 year old daughter took it to her prom. :(

Here are the pics I took when I got it hom:

at-home-trailer-bvsolid.jpg at-home-trailer-bvsolid2.jpg at-home-trailer-bvsolid3.jpg at-home-bvsolid.jpg at-home-bvsolid2.jpg

That one is nice! Your dishfarm is going to look to good when you finish setting up number 3!

Status
Please reply by conversation.