Birdview Solid Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaytay

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Des Moines, IA
So, I've been slowly working on getting the Birdview solid dish that I bought from Linuxman up-and-running. I picked a spot just to the south of my deck and set up the NPRM there. I got the mast plumb, had a neighbor help me lift the AJAK horizon-to-horizon mount to the top of the mast, and then the next day had buddy come over and we lifted the reflector up and bolted it to the motor.

I decided that I'm not going to have this dish tracking the arc for now, so didn't adjust the declination for my more Northerly position than Linuxman's, and I parked it on Galaxy 17 at 91W. The C-band signal is booming at 90+ quality on the meter and the channels are solid. Ku-band channels should be acceptable, though I haven't tried tuning any yet. I just got an Ecoda 22kHz switch to combine the C and Ku ports into one cable running back to my receiver.

Other dishes I've currently got include one 90cm WSI dish pointed at SES 1 at 101W, and a 36" (former DTN dish) pointed at AMC 6 at 72W.

This week, I will start setting up the Birdview perforated dish. This one will be motorized with a GBOX V3000 to catch the rest of the arc from about 83W to whatever I can see going to the west until my house interferes with my line-of-sight. Hopefully, I'll be able to see up to 125W or higher. Just doing the ballpark measurements on dishpointer.com, I'm thinking that I should be able to see over to 135W.

Pictures of the project so far:

Attachments

• IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    506.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1342.JPG
    IMG_1342.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Keep up the good work.
And give us more picture feedback when you get the other dish out in the sunshine. - :up

Oh, and that's a Birdview motor/mount.
An AJAK is a whole 'nother animal. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)