Blasted SNOW!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Don't have to complain about this too much where I live, but we have a regular snow going on tonite here in Alabama! It's weighed down both of my c-band dishes to the point I can't pick up a thing. I put the 10' way over on 125 early this evening when it started, hoping the snow would fall off as it came down, like I've seen it do a few times before. But this one started out pretty wet, and must've gotten a good base going on the dish-face. My fixed dish on 87 is picking up nothing too, lol, since 87 is about due south for me and dish is pointed up fairly high. I saw those Shake=Weight things in wallyworld Friday-should've gotten a couple of them-I bet if you can attach 'em to a motorized dish they would shake the snow right off! Can't get there tonite though, roads bad and I don't feel like walking, either from a wreck, nor out to the dishes in the dark.

No need to loose tv over a little bit of snow.
All you have to do is get a broom and clean the dishes. They clean easier if they are as far East or West as possible..

we have been pretty blessed this year locally. only about 2 feet of snow so far. my pops bought a snow blower last year so i have been keeping a nice path to the dishes cleaned. i even made room to dump snow if needed. i aim all my dishes a bit high so with a moderate snow load i stay tuned. i can see a lot of Q leave my system before i have to go outside a mechanically fix the problem. such a mild winter so far here. i feel for the people in the states who dont normally deal with this weather. being on the canadian prairies i pretty much expect -40 c windchills and waking up to huge snowdrifts and heavy blankets. i put on so much weight this christmas not having to shovel off the insane amount of christmas dinners i ate. haha.

crackt out,.

Another 2 inches here last week and 2 to 4 more coming for tuesday. Sunday it was 2 degrees when I got up and my SG2100 froze for the first time in two winters! By afternoon it thawed out in the 30 degree heatwave lol...I'm ready for spring since everytime it snows I get to shovel the snow at work and at home...plus the snow on the dishes too...Blind

Turnaround snow.JPG

Turbosat, did the cat catch and eat the rabbit?

I didn't get the snow but did get 3/4" ice. Sprayed all four dishes with dollar store cooking spray yesterday, the only channel not coming in on the 1.8m is MEtv, thats not uncommon on this dish. I would go out and see about knocking some of the ice off but afraid would do more damage than good.

Looks a little better this morning-3 or 4" snow at my location, not icy stuff at all as it swept right off the dishes. Roads are all closed, or travel at your own risk. My 92 yr old grandma fell getting out of bed this morning at her home, fractured hip. Keep her in your prayers please. turbosat

Last snow we had here was in '08, and it was enough to take out my 1 meter Channel Master until the snow melted later in the afternoon.

Turbosat, sorry about your grandmother's injury, will keep her in my prayers.

Thanks guys for your prayers, the EMS managed to get her out and on the way before any of us could get a vehicle to go in the snow/ice. She had surgery about 3pm Monday, they put some kind of pin in , and said she would probably have to use a walker to get around from now on, but she'd been doing that any way, most of the time. Seems to be doing well-they got her up and moving some today already! Those rehab people are something else. Maybe 4 more days in hospital and then 21days in a nursing home for more rehab.

Glad the EMTs were able to transport her. They are probably better equipped to deal with the wintery weather. Great to hear that she is better!

Turbo,

Good to hear the EMT was able to get there.

We got about 4-5" of snow on Monday, then Monday night & Tuesday the sleet came and I lost Dish. Was able to clean the 61.5 dish, as it's on the ground and get it going. Went to work Monday, as my company usually doesn't close, but they decided to closed Monday & Tuesday.

Unlike up north, they don't have as much equipment and the secondary roads just have to clean themselves :).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts