When i did a Blind Scan, at Freq 10780 I saw Signal quality jum to 60%
But it never stayed there.
the info I was able to scribble before it changed was
Freq 10781
SR 3000
Pol H
Fec 7/8

Makes any sense?

I am guessing this is the info needed for the antenna setup, but not sure how it translate to the setup which ashkj for
LNB Type = Standard
22KHz
TP Frequency

If Type = Universal, then
LNB High
LNB Low
Tp

(the other suff I guess is obvious)
Any ideas based off the info?
LNB will be standard and LNB Frequency will be 10750

Iceberg said:
LNB will be standard and LNB Frequency will be 10750
cool
got bout 11 channels show up on Echostar 3. (The quality was up to 80%),
but not sure how to view them.
I see none in FTA and a bunch in scrambled. Guess they are unviewable huh?

ok.. seeing channels listed, but do i need to lock the channels to view em?

ayahsoo said:
cool
got bout 11 channels show up on Echostar 3. (The quality was up to 80%),
but not sure how to view them.
I see none in FTA and a bunch in scrambled. Guess they are unviewable huh?

Most of the DBS birds are full of scrambled material. Actually, if you scan 119 just for the radio stations, you will have some good music to listen to.

If you scan in "Free Only" mode, it may miss a few channels. Sometimes I'll blindscan and set it to pick up all channels and then I go and tell my Coolsat to delete all scrambled channels. Your viewsat probably has that option. Good luck.

How did you pick up a DBS sat with a standard Ku LNB? Are you sure you're picking up what you think you are?

A Ku LNBF will pick up some of the lower frequency DBS transponders, but at half the quality. Its actually an annoyance when you're trying to scan a linear bird parked in the same orbital slot as (or sometimes even next door to) a strong DBS bird.

Ayahsoo, your LNBF won't pick up the Echostars and Nimiqs correctly as it is a linear Ku LNBF and not a DBS one. Try to aim at 97w (IA-5) or 123w (G-10R) to check your setup.

Tron said:
A Ku LNBF will pick up some of the lower frequency DBS transponders, but at half the quality. Its actually an annoyance when you're trying to scan a linear bird parked in the same orbital slot as (or sometimes even next door to) a strong DBS bird.

With a universal Ku LNB yes, but a standard Ku LNB? These should pick up only as high as 12.2GHz.

VO1ONE said:
With a universal Ku LNB yes, but a standard Ku LNB? These should pick up only as high as 12.2GHz.

it depends on the recever. My Pansat 1500 goes from 11.7 to 12.3 in a blind scan so it does pick up those 10 TP's between 12.2 & 12.3

The Coolsat only blind scans from 11.7-12.2

I have a LNB that does 11.7-12.2 :)

oh ok.. so since the lbnf package says its RF is 11.70/12.20GHz, then this is standard right?
I feel the problem is in the setup, not necessarily the pointing. Because I took the TV thing to the roof, trid seeting up on both the IA 97 and G 10 123 and nada.

The sat manual not too intuitive, so i guess i'll keep picking at it.

ok now i got it to be flikkering to as much as 74% on Signal Quality at G10R 123.
I then did a F1 (Channel Scan) but nothing??
SAny ideas?

Confirming the direction

i have been pointing from the front of my home in a western direction..
Especially that the general direction of all the dishes in my neighbourhood

But now that I am getting this degree thing down, I am I think i my need to move the mounting pole to the back of the house and point in almost opposite direction.

I have created a diagram , and would like if someone could confirm if i am on the right track here.
I'm trying to get the G 10 R 123W Satellite for starters.

0 being north, 123 being just between South(180) East(90) right? Thats going clockwise from 0.
Am I on the right track?
Please see the diagram.
Crap cant do the upload from work. :(
Will do went i get home in a few, but in the mean time, from the text, am I on the right track?
Thanks.

VO1ONE said:
It happens to me very often on my Invacom QPH (a standard), especially when trying to scan Satmex 5 with my Pansat 2700 (I get a couple of Dish 119 transponders)...

ayahsoo said:
0 being north, 123 being just between South(180) East(90) right? Thats going clockwise from 0.
Am I on the right track?
123w for G-10R is not a compass reading. The orbital postion coordinates (97w for IA-5, 123w for G-10R, 119w for Echo 7, etc.) are the longitude line over which the satellite is parked. G-10R is parked at 123 degrees west longitude at the equator. So if you live anywhere east of 123 degrees longitude, G-10R will be southwest of your position. How far to the west depends on where in the country you live. If you live near the east coast, it will be very far southwest and also low to the horizon. If you live in California, it will be nearly due south, maybe a bit west.

EDIT, checked OP, since you live near Toronto, G-10R will definitely be far southwest of your position. Sadoun has excellent support pages, see the satellite calculator http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Satellite-Heading-Calculator.htm for help. According to this calculator, G-10R is at a 234 degree compass heading, before factoring in magnetic deviation.

Last edited:
mrweather said:
Depends what you want to watch. Most will require at least a 33" dish and linear lnb.

Galaxy 10R at 123 west seems to offer the most in terms of "traditional" programming: network channels, music, etc.

PBS has a handful of channels on AMC 3 at 87 west.

Premium channels (like HBO) aren't free to air.

I am also in the Toronto area but my site is poor to Galaxy 10R (tall trees) (pun intended)

A couple of questions if I may.

1) linear LMB? My Dish and LMB were used for the pay channels before, Do I need to change the LMB? (they do not have any info labels on them)

2) What other choices do I have for local or network channels? After he leaves fall, I might be able to get 123 (I have seen signals off 110 before)with 123 being lower unless it happens to fall between some of the trees I fear it will be too weak

johnphil said:
1) linear LMB? My Dish and LMB were used for the pay channels before, Do I need to change the LMB? (they do not have any info labels on them)
The term is actually lnb. And yes, you'll need to change the lnb in order to receive the majority of FTA signals. A standard linear lnb will use a LO (local oscillator) frequency of 10.750 GHz and has a range of 11.7-12.2 GHz (typically).

2) What other choices do I have for local or network channels? After he leaves fall, I might be able to get 123 (I have seen signals off 110 before)with 123 being lower unless it happens to fall between some of the trees I fear it will be too weak
AMC 4 at 101 west has a FOX channel. AMC 3 at 87 west has PBS channels. That's pretty much about it on KU (besides the aforementioned G10R channels).

mrweather said:
The term is actually lnb. And yes, you'll need to change the lnb in order to receive the majority of FTA signals. A standard linear lnb will use a LO (local oscillator) frequency of 10.750 GHz and has a range of 11.7-12.2 GHz (typically).

AMC 4 at 101 west has a FOX channel. AMC 3 at 87 west has PBS channels. That's pretty much about it on KU (besides the aforementioned G10R channels).

Yes sorry LNB.

one other item, in a number of posts I see a larger dish is noted as required. Is this a frequency thing or a power issue? I have a single 18" up there and a dual 20" (i think ) eliptical, they just won"t work on FTA (123 W)?

Sorry to ask questions that are obviously not new, but there are so many threads it is hard to find the one that has the appropriate info.

John

You will NEED at least a 30" dish and Linear Ku LNBF for FTA!

You may get some really strong transponders on a smaller dish but as soon as it clouds over even they will be gone!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)