Blind Scan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cold Winter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
I'm new here and have been doing some reading up on the forums. I have a newbie question.

It seems that Blind Scan is a favoured feature on most of the main sat boxes. Reading IceBergs recommendations, I get the idea the CoolSat4000 is probably the best of the consumer boxes. OTOH, He highly recommends the ViewSat except it didn't have a few features ( blind scan being one of them ). I hear the new Platinum model now has this and is faster than the CoolSat as well.

Can anyone confirm the performance of the ViewSat Platinum model? From the reviews here, you guys make them all sound pretty good. I guess I'm asking a "snap shot" question. What would be your expert opinion today as opposes to last month?

Yes I know... another newbie and his questions :confused: :D

welcome cold winter :wave
must be from somewhere cold :) (MN here myself)

Yeah unfortunatelly when the reviews were done, they were done as I got the units, so features may have changed.

The Viewsat is a nice unit, but the one I reviewed didnt have blind scan. The Coolsat & Pansat 3500 have very fast scans. There are a couple people who have used both the 3500 and the Coolsat and can chime in :)

Welcome to the forum Cold Winter!

I recently installed a Viewsat, did not enjoy it at all!

It never had Blind Scan.......

I've had both the CoolSat 4000 Pro and the Pansat 3500s and I prefered the interface and the blindscan of the Coolsat.

On my TV the component output of the Pansat is a very big plus.

While I like the Coolsat much better than the Pansat, I'm using the Pansat because it has the skew controller for the skew servo on my little BUD. If I were just driving the SG2100 & a voltage switched LNB, I'd probably seriously concider the new Coolsat 5000 receiver since it is slated to also have component video output.

Both are nice recievers. I think the Coolsat's interface is a little more intuative.

I would agree with Shawn's comments as someone who had both the 3500 and the Coolsat. The Coolsat has a little nicer interface and is a little faster on blind scan (with the latest firmware update). The new update also gives it partial AC3 ability and that was enough for me. I just enjoyed using it more than the Pansat.

That said, the Pansat is cheaper has complete AC3 support and component video. So it comes down to what your needs are. Also, you might look at the Coolsat 5000. I don't know what the price on that will be though.

Iceberg said:
welcome cold winter :wave
must be from somewhere cold :) (MN here myself)

:)

Eastern Ontario, and ThankYou Kindly.

Also the other respondents are all pretty much leaning toward CoolSat. I think a newbie might just want to take the hint. :cool:

Thanks Gents!

Cold Winter said:
I'm new here and have been doing some reading up on the forums. I have a newbie question.

It seems that Blind Scan is a favoured feature on most of the main sat boxes. Reading IceBergs recommendations, I get the idea the CoolSat4000 is probably the best of the consumer boxes. OTOH, He highly recommends the ViewSat except it didn't have a few features ( blind scan being one of them ). I hear the new Platinum model now has this and is faster than the CoolSat as well.

Can anyone confirm the performance of the ViewSat Platinum model? From the reviews here, you guys make them all sound pretty good. I guess I'm asking a "snap shot" question. What would be your expert opinion today as opposes to last month?

Yes I know... another newbie and his questions :confused: :D

this feature " The Blind Scan " called as well " Power Scan " in other receiver such as Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra , it can search for any transponder in the ether , But I found in the list of all tramsponders with FEC = 2/3 or 7/8 their channels not there , therefore to double check I took these transponders with FEC = 2/3 and 7/8 and prgramm the manually with other receiver and I found all their channels . So why these did not come with Power Scan . Can anybody tell me what is the problem ?

Coolsat is my favorite. The AC3 is a little tricky but worth the work. :yes

al_madhi said:
this feature " The Blind Scan " called as well " Power Scan " in other receiver such as Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra , it can search for any transponder in the ether , But I found in the list of all tramsponders with FEC = 2/3 or 7/8 their channels not there , therefore to double check I took these transponders with FEC = 2/3 and 7/8 and prgramm the manually with other receiver and I found all their channels . So why these did not come with Power Scan . Can anybody tell me what is the problem ?

al_madhi What Filmware version are you running?

I have a Viewsat Platinum 2000 and a Pansat 3500 and they both have blind scan as of Nov 2005.

I bought these in October so I'm sure they all now have the blind scan as mine does (i did upgrade the firmware when I got it )

I have a coolsat pro 4000 I bought for another room but don't need 3 units so it's brand new in box never used or even opened if interested comes with serial null cable and discq splitter.

and yes the viewsat and pansat 3500 have blind scan and the viewsat seems faster

thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts