Blockbuster Movie Pass performance thread

I think for the people who like to turn and burn movies, Netflix is still better. For those of us not is as big a rush, BB has been fine. For people who have the platinum pack before, the 1 out at a time is a nice gimme.

Performance update:

Rcvd 2 in this AM, then they Shipped Horrible Bosses and Green Lantern, both very new. They have skipped Fast Five (at top) in my last 4 movies returned.

I think for the people who like to turn and burn movies, Netflix is still better. For those of us not is as big a rush, BB has been fine. For people who have the platinum pack before, the 1 out at a time is a nice gimme.

Well put. I'm actually considering dumping Superstations and upping to 2 out at a time. 1 disk performance for us so far has been within what the emails have stated. Gotten 2 so far, both in good condition. I'm about 100 miles from the Worcester, MA return center.

OK, last night I tried streaming/downloading a movie from BBPM. I have 20meg broadband. First movie didn't make it, got hung up about 3/4 of the way and just stopped. Second movie took about 10 minutes to start up, but every 7/10 minutes would pause to buffer. Oh, yeah, and I had to reset my broadband connection via my 722k because after the first movie failed, I got a message that I wasn't connected to my broadband. These things need to be addressed by Dish, and fixed. Again, when I had NF, could stream a movie via my Samsung Blu-ray player, our Wii, or my son's X-Box360, without a problem...never stopping to buffer.

Ghpr13:(

Well put. I'm actually considering dumping Superstations and upping to 2 out at a time. 1 disk performance for us so far has been within what the emails have stated. Gotten 2 so far, both in good condition. I'm about 100 miles from the Worcester, MA return center.

I've never used Netflix or BB so I might be easily impressed, but I dropped a disc in the mail on Monday and on Tuesday I got email saying disc returned and later another email saying next disc on the way. I had platinum anyway so it's all gravy for me.

Well today I received 2 discs in the mail! Yeah!!! So, now I'll see how things go from today on...hopefully, things will go well.
Ghpr13:)

Discs take 4 days out, 3-4 days back, so effectively one disc every 1.5 weeks. With Netflix I can get 2 discs per week. Still haven't gotten Movie Pass to work through the receiver. I'll probably end up cancelling my Netflix DVD after this month but will keep streaming since Blockbuster's doesn't work.

722k is buffer city some times and other times solid. at the moment it will buffer every 3min but when i go to dishonline through my htpc its quick as ever on the same cat-6 mabe the 722 software is still buggy.

on a side note BBMP is hard to find any thing and takes forever to display any movie tittles. 4 to six movie posters with a tittle under them on each page would be a nice fit and to see info press info button.

60mbs + internet

Discs take 4 days out, 3-4 days back, so effectively one disc every 1.5 weeks. With Netflix I can get 2 discs per week. Still haven't gotten Movie Pass to work through the receiver. I'll probably end up cancelling my Netflix DVD after this month but will keep streaming since Blockbuster's doesn't work.

Yeah, I, too, was getting 2 disc a week with NF, and I only had a 1 disc sub with them. With BBMP and the 2 disc sub, because of their turn around time, I doubt if I get more than just the 2 disc a week. We only have 1 BB store around, and we pass that on Sunday when we go to church. Maybe I'll start dropping my disc off there to get a quicker turn around time.

722k is buffer city some times and other times solid. at the moment it will buffer every 3min but when i go to dishonline through my htpc its quick as ever on the same cat-6 mabe the 722 software is still buggy.

on a side note BBMP is hard to find any thing and takes forever to display any movie tittles. 4 to six movie posters with a tittle under them on each page would be a nice fit and to see info press info button.

60mbs + internet

The BBMP menu on the 722k has to be updated. I hate having to go title by title to see what's available. Everyone in the house gets really frustrated trying to pick a movie from that menu, specially after having NF menu and being able to breeze through that one in no time. Plus I notice that BBMP doesn't have any "Independent" movies, in either streaming or discs. This was a category I really liked with NF. I found a lot of interesting movies under that category.

Well after complaining yesterday about discs taking too long, I mailed one yesterday and received email notification this morning that my next disc is shipping out today. Awesome.

My last one was mail back Monday morning, receive new disc Wednesday (I get the mail at about 10:30 AM)! Not having Saturday available for mailing does complicate things, but overall, I'm happy with the speed of the mailings.
I agree the bbmp streaming interface is horible compared to netflix
The BBMP streaming interface is horrible compared to PPV ordering screens in the late 80s. The system is capable of streaming a handful of Mbps for an HD movie, but it can't offer more than a 16k bitmap of the movie coverart and can only scroll through movies 5 at a time, very slowly?! It's not as if the 722k is garbage. It is a great receiver, but it looks like the BBMP screen is based off of software from Echostar's first ever receiver.

Update report-

I got my third mailed disk now in 21 days. However, while the 3rd one arrived early bringing the average turn time from 9 days to 7, the 3rd disk arrived damaged. The disk is cracked! I wonder how much time that will take.

Update report-

I got my third mailed disk now in 21 days. However, while the 3rd one arrived early bringing the average turn time from 9 days to 7, the 3rd disk arrived damaged. The disk is cracked! I wonder how much time that will take.

One of the first BD I ever got with BB by mail, before BBMP, would not play for me. I went to the BB web site and did what it told me to do, and my new BD was shipped that day within just a few hours of me informing them of the problem. (And the next BD was fine.)

Well, it finally looks like BBMP has got the bugs out of shipping my discs. The two discs I received on the 19th, "Bad Teacher" and "Transformers DOTM", I mailed back yesterday. Today I got 4 emails, 2 saying they received a disc back, and 2 saying they shipped out a disc. So it appears they have really improved the turn around time. Now Dish just has to work on redoing the BBMP streaming menu.

Same here. The damaged disk I sent in Last Thursday, replacement arrived yesterday. 5 days rather than 9. Things are getting better. :rolleyes:

Same here/me too, +3, LOL.;)

Mailed return back yesterday, received email confirming receipt of same this morning and another telling me they'd shipped the next one. First time that's happened with BB since I've had it, just like Netflix worked!:popcorn Hopefully this is a permanent improvement and not a fluke.

Ed

Yeah, the first couple we did were back in the mail Monday, received/shipped out Wed, to us on Friday. Which was fine since we just watch them on the weekends anyway, but this week it was out on Monday, received/shipped Tuesday, hopefully here today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts