Blu-ray Sells 2.7M Players in North America

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Sells 2.7M Players in North America

Coming off of huge Blu-ray sales during the early holiday shopping season (which includes Black Friday), market research now shows that consumer have purchased 2.7 million Blu-ray players in the North America region as of November 24th. Additionally, US sales of Blu-ray titles topped 4 million units in November, taking just over two months to achieve the new milestone.

This new data dwarfs reports from the HD DVD group stating the format had sold 750,000 players by a factor of over 7-to-2. Interestingly enough, sales of Blu-ray software sold at a similar rate for the week ending November 25th.

So tell me, I went to the source document for that, and it is simply Blu-ray.com. Where is the actual documentation backing that claim up.

I gotta admit, it seems pretty darn far-fetched, given 1) the price of the players; and 2) there has not appeared to be any mad rush for them in the stores.

War-zone or not, I am leery.

So tell me, I went to the source document for that, and it is simply Blu-ray.com. Where is the actual documentation backing that claim up.

I gotta admit, it seems pretty darn far-fetched, given 1) the price of the players; and 2) there has not appeared to be any mad rush for them in the stores.

War-zone or not, I am leery.

You are right to think this way. LINK

Per that link though, my numbers are off by a chunk.

Think I figured it out though, VGChartz figure is only America, so if there is no Canada or Mexico numbers in that then that is why the 2.3 mil figure is in the link. Cuts the standalones in half, makes it not as impressive

Still nice figures, but without a milestone hit or something it ends up just being a straight marketing play. I suspect they'd have waited till 3 million, but aren't expecting to hit it until after Christmas.

The correct way to count players for HD DVD is all standalones plus HD DVD add on drives for Xbox 360. For BluRay however, there is just no way to tell. It is standalones plus some percentage of PS3's

Haven't we already established that the number includes PS3's?

I'm not sure where the confusion is.

Oh I am not confused; I find the statistic deceptive. Somebody walks into a store and wants to purchase a high definition movie player; they go to either a HD DVD or a BD player. THe PS3 purchase is for MOST not to get a BD player; maybe for some of us, but not for the vast majority.

Of course, the BD fanboys and the BD detractors have no way to prove what % of PS3's were purchased PRIMARILY for BD.

And we know that the $400 stand-alone players are not flying of the shelves.

Oh I am not confused; I find the statistic deceptive. Somebody walks into a store and wants to purchase a high definition movie player; they go to either a HD DVD or a BD player. THe PS3 purchase is for MOST not to get a BD player; maybe for some of us, but not for the vast majority.

Of course, the BD fanboys and the BD detractors have no way to prove what % of PS3's were purchased PRIMARILY for BD.

I thought I was in the Blu-ray Forum?

I just don't get why you guys come in here and question the number. There are 2.7M Blu-Ray players out there. Certainly it can be debated how many of them are being used to play movies, but your post made it sound like you thought the number was a fabrication because it came from blu-ray.com.

BTW, I didn't buy my PS3 to be used PRIMARILY for BD, but it is my PRIMARY HD format player nonetheless. They don't have to be purchased for that reason to be used that way.

I just don't get why you guys come in here and question the number. There are 2.7M Blu-Ray players out there. Certainly it can be debated how many of them are being used to play movies, but your post made it sound like you thought the number was a fabrication because it came from blu-ray.com.

BTW, I didn't buy my PS3 to be used PRIMARILY for BD, but it is my PRIMARY HD format player nonetheless. They don't have to be purchased for that reason to be used that way.

Ok, This is what I am talking about, from a company that supports Sony hard core, This whole thing is confusing the heck out of people and causing them to back off.

Decisions like this is why I cannot stand behind a Sony format, they are doomed to fail.

quote:

The Wii is the antithesis of the Xbox 360. It's strictly for hardcore gamers. The attachment rate for the Xbox 360 is much higher than for the Wii. People who buy the 360 really like games... I think the current trend is that most people aren't buying the Wii as a game machine, but as a toy... It seems that Sony isn't sure what it wants to do. Is it making high-end electronics or a game console for gamers? I want them to clearly define their console.

If Squaresoft is becoming unsure, then Sony should be very nervous indeed.

Ok, This is what I am talking about, from a company that supports Sony hard core, This whole thing is confusing the heck out of people and causing them to back off.

Decisions like this is why I cannot stand behind a Sony format, they are doomed to fail.

quote:​

The Wii is the antithesis of the Xbox 360. It's strictly for hardcore gamers. The attachment rate for the Xbox 360 is much higher than for the Wii. People who buy the 360 really like games... I think the current trend is that most people aren't buying the Wii as a game machine, but as a toy... It seems that Sony isn't sure what it wants to do. Is it making high-end electronics or a game console for gamers? I want them to clearly define their console.​
If Squaresoft is becoming unsure, then Sony should be very nervous indeed.

I'm not sure why they would need to "define it" as one or the other, if it does a good job with both. There's never been a system (that I can remember) that does as many things as well as the PS3 does, so why not tout them?

Now, from Squaresoft's perspective, I can see where they would complain about the gaming part of it - it has been lacking for the better part of the year that the PS3 has been out. There has been the sense that they have been trying too hard to be all things to all people for the last 10 months and not really doing anything well.

It seems, though, that things are getting better on all fronts (with the possible exception of profits :cool:) - better games are coming out, better movies are available, and it seems to me that Sony is doing a better job marketing both.

By the way, that quote hit the nail on the head with the comments about the Wii...

I'm not sure why they would need to "define it" as one or the other, if it does a good job with both. There's never been a system (that I can remember) that does as many things as well as the PS3 does, so why not tout them?

Now, from Squaresoft's perspective, I can see where they would complain about the gaming part of it - it has been lacking for the better part of the year that the PS3 has been out. There has been the sense that they have been trying too hard to be all things to all people for the last 10 months and not really doing anything well.

It seems, though, that things are getting better on all fronts (with the possible exception of profits :cool:) - better games are coming out, better movies are available, and it seems to me that Sony is doing a better job marketing both.

By the way, that quote hit the nail on the head with the comments about the Wii...

Yeah I have a Wii, but it doesn't get much play. LOL. It is a toy to me as well.

Though Wii Sports bowling on a friday night with friends , teh uber...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts