BluRay gaining support!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Last edited:
I agree with T2k. The first two links are to articles over a year old according to the date on the page. The last link is the only one with current info.

Agreed. This flaming is getting out of hand. Enoughsaid by me.

Anyways, Back to topic. RUmors of those studios that are supporting only one format (i.e. Disney, Fox, universal, etc.) flipping are merely that. Rumors and speculations. It will eventuallycon to the bottom dollar. Are they making money.

I personally own both formats, the A1 and the panasonic. The panasonic does produce a very nice picture, but I still feel that the A1 produces a sharper picture. I don't know if it is the transfers or something within the design specs of the BD machines itself. I won't guess. When it comes to upconverting SDDVDs, there is no comparison. The A1 wins hands down IMO.

As far as the PS3 being the saving grace for BR, I really don't believe it will. Videophiles probably won't buy a PS3 for playing movies, and I don't know how many serious gamers are going to be sitting and watching a movie rather than playing Madden 2007 or some other game.

Both players are niche products at this time and only time will tell which one will come out on top. The bottom line will be how much the mainstream consumer is willing to pay.

Scott

Yep, time will tell. My hopes for an early settlement have been dashed. I'm beginning to wonder if it will be any clearer a year from now- maybe the studios don't plan on making money or final decisions during the first year the machines are out. By Christmas 2008, these machines will likely be hot and common, since the transition will be upon us and a much higher percentage of households will have HDTVs. Will they be strong sellers (in the millions) by Christmas 2007?

I don't watch that many movies, so I guess I can wait for things to shake out and prices come down. But it sure would be nice to show off my HDTV to it's max without wondering if I've bet on the wrong horse.

You guys are right about the date of the news but my point here is that BluRay has never been that much more expensive then HD-DVD to produce both in players and discs. There is always posts about how much cheaper HD-DVD is then BluRay but I really don't see it that way. Especially with the PS3 out now. I was trying to show how the news as time goes by improves for the BluRay camp.

So, we have got to hope either that both formats survive in which it will drive both camps to continually improve their product and start reducing prices for the fully fuctioning players and movies or that the BluRay releases start improving dramatically (seems the new ones have). Because right now BluRay is starting to release a boatload of movies and eventually Universal and Warner will not be enough to keep HD-DVD afloat.

Only interesting thing I have seen lately is that Broadcom has just released a chip that does both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (it is essentially a MIPs CPU with decoding hardware for both formats).

Now if there is just some way around the Sony mafia that seems to stop dead all announcements of dual format players...

Now if there is just some way around the Sony mafia that seems to stop dead all announcements of dual format players...

No kidding. These tactics by Sony and my past experiences with their products are why I am against blu-ray and pretty much Sony itself.

SONY VS MICROSOFT -- How can you tell the differance? They are both greedy and arrogant and must have competition for the consumer to get good products and support. One's not any differant then the other! :shh

SONY VS MICROSOFT -- How can you tell the differance? They are both greedy and arrogant and must have competition for the consumer to get good products and support. One's not any differant then the other! :shh

I don't see anywhere in that post where I said I like or slighly prefer Microsoft. I was just stating my feelings on Sony since this is a blu-ray thread. Maybe because I said I am against Sony and blu-ray, but heck I am just anti-sony overall, so I guess in my opinion, I am going with the lesser of two evils.

You guys are right about the date of the news but my point here is that BluRay has never been that much more expensive then HD-DVD to produce both in players and discs. There is always posts about how much cheaper HD-DVD is then BluRay but I really don't see it that way. Especially with the PS3 out now. I was trying to show how the news as time goes by improves for the BluRay camp.
According to published reports it cost about 2 mil to convert from a DVD line to Blue-Ray. So, to say there is no cost difference would be inaccurate.

I don't see anywhere in that post where I said I like or slighly prefer Microsoft. I was just stating my feelings on Sony since this is a blu-ray thread. Maybe because I said I am against Sony and blu-ray, but heck I am just anti-sony overall, so I guess in my opinion, I am going with the lesser of two evils.

Ah, I guess you don't remember the greats: Windows 3.1., Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Milineum Edition, Windows 2000, XP, XP PRO, XP Media Edition, Vista ( and the three or four differant editions that will come). And wouldn't you know, you had to upgrade or else there would be games that came out that would not run well on your old OS. And in addition to that, every new OS was more expensive, require more cpu and graphic power, and pretty much did not leave the consumer any options. And always, every OS was released with things not working. Months, years, sometimes never would those things get worked out. M$ statement is we will do that in the next version of windows. Thank you M$.

Even in the business world you are being forced, use UPS WORLDWIDE shipping software and this year you had to have XP , on Jan1, 2007 you must have XP updated to the 2nd revision. This does not stop. M$ gets plenty of my money from my computer at home and my computer network at work. I also play XBOX games but I decided to give my next gen money to Sony first. I am not so sure M$ is the lesser of two evils. I see them in the same light. Both are out to make a buck any way they can. That is why they are in business. And if there is no competition you watch them drag things out. Both have done that in the past and they will do that in the future.

As for BluRay, everyone has their preferance. Right now HD-DVD is riding a good start. BluRay was pushed out the door too early. Toshiba took a beating on those $499 players but even though they provided a decent product by upgrading the software and Universal did a bang-up job of producing top quality HD movies, they have not got any more player manufacturers to join their side. No studios have as you guys say 'jumped ship'. What does this say about the future for HD-DVD? I think we are not going to see a real war for the consumers bucks over this until Spring to Summer of 2007. That's when I see the real war starting.

Ah, the usual ignorant nonsense blurb from Joe... :D
I guess Saturday night is the best posting time for home-stuck wannabes with no (f)actual knowledge on anything whatsoever... anyway, I'm taking off, shortfilm-festival then another AV-performance sounds much more interesting, let alone the following open bar...:p

Ah, the usual ignorant nonsense blurb from Joe... :D
Yeah, I gotta agree, I am not sure how that responds to what I said. All I said is I don't like Sony. If blu-ray wins, well I won't be experiencing any HD movies in my house I guess. Yep, I hate them that much. It has nothing to do publicly with them. It's literally a personal issue I had with their service on a TV that didn't even make it 6 months which in that time they repaird 5 times then voided my warranty and left me out in the cold. Granted, I won in small claims court, but it came down to principle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)