BluRay gaining support!!

SantinKzo, Sorry you had to go to small claims court to get your money. I can see why your dislike of Sony is so strong. But Sony did not develope BluRay by itself. There were several partners:

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/

So don't buy a Sony player. Buy a Panasonic, Pioneer (who by the way has a hand in Sony's standalone not being on the market right now), Philllips, Hitachi, Sharp, Mitsubishi. All these manufacturers had a hand in this format. They are part of the original board. Sony does not own this format by itself. They have several partners just like Toshiba did not develope HD-DVD by itself.

However, if hate will prevent you from supporting a format than enjoy HD-DVD for a long time. You will be limited in movie seletion but your money can go to M$ instead of Sony. In the end I hope both products survive. Competition breeds lower prices and better products. That can only be good for the consumer.

In the end I hope both products survive. Competition breeds lower prices and better products. That can only be good for the consumer.
Agreed! :) We the consumer get screwed too many times by big corporations in general.

However, if hate will prevent you from supporting a format than enjoy HD-DVD for a long time. You will be limited in movie seletion but your money can go to M$ instead of Sony.

Btw, I know all the companies behind blu-ray and HD-DVD. but yes, the plain and simple fact that sony is on-board with blu-ray will prevent me from supporting it. Just personal reason that I will not give any money knowingly to a sony product. I don't have an HD-DVD player yet so I am not giving money to either party. I am just supporting the opponent of Sony. :)

Maybe I'll put a big yard sign out "HD-DVD is the American Way! Communists are behind Blu-Ray" laff, just kidding with ya joesp. :)

Last edited:
"Maybe I'll put a big yard sign out "HD-DVD is the American Way! Comunists are behind Blu-Ray" I really like that one SatinKzo. :haha:up

I for one LIKE Sony - my Sony 57" rear projection 1080i HDTV was an excellent buy, and is going strong after 2 1/2 year. My Sony 5.1 A/R receiver was also a great buy, and not a glitch after 4 years.

But, I like my Toshiba XA1 HD DVD the best, and is a good match with my Sony components. And, I find this thread's title "BluRay gaining support" pretty misleading. The PS3 was supposed to be the "HD DVD killer" app, but I read reports that as few as 120,000 were shipped for the U.S. debut. Yeah, they got snapped up in minutes, but if I had the time to stand in line overnight for as chance to turn a 400-600% profit by re-selling it on eBay, I would have snapped one up too.

I'm not a gamer, but from what I read the $199 HD DVD add-on for Xbox is pretty comparable performance-wise to the PS3 BR drive and in adbundent supply, so, so much for the PS3 "killer app". It will take some time for everythign to play out, but if anything I see HD DVD gaining support to the point wwhere BluRay will be relegated to a specialty item for Play Stations. Which is why I like Sony TV & A/V hardware, but take a pass when they try to push yet another proprietary "superior" format. :hatsoff:

Last edited:
How long before these studios exclusive BR contracts expire? I've heard the end of the year, but not from anywhere reliable. I've also heard from a reliable source that Lions Gate will be switching to HD-DVD.

I saw a TV ad claiming the Superman Returns is being released in both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Disc.

Am I missing something? What format was not expected? Blu-ray I would assume since WB is a big player in HD-DVD. I just got my copy or superman returns on HD-DVD and I didn't see a single blu-ray version on the shelf, not even a space for one. Full-Screen, wide-screen, HD-DVD combo.

No, I just find it encouraging that maybe more titles will come out both ways like SR. Is SR a one-time shot or are all Warner titles going to do this?

I wonder if it's kinda a olive branch thing or something. Hey, we'll do blu-ray if you guys do hd-dvd (to disney, fox and such).

Am I missing something? What format was not expected? Blu-ray I would assume since WB is a big player in HD-DVD. I just got my copy or superman returns on HD-DVD and I didn't see a single blu-ray version on the shelf, not even a space for one. Full-Screen, wide-screen, HD-DVD combo.

It is available in both.

Alot of HD-DVD's are sold out at the bestbuy's around rochester. For example if I wanted king kong I would have to go all the way to Buffalo. Blu-rays on the other hand are collecting dust on the shelves.

Maybe the sales of PS3s is increasing BluRay sales:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=3780

It is possible that those who have purchased a PS3 for their own use are also buying BluRay movies now. I personally have purchase two games and 11 BluRay movies. I have always stated that I wanted the PS3 for BluRay movie playback and that is what it will be primarily used for in my house. :)

Yes I do:D , I purchase a 60gb this past Monday at Target and got 10% off for signing up for the credit card. Card is a very bad deal, will pay off when bill arrives, but the deal was great. That's the good news. Bad news is I promised my wife I would not open the PS3 till Christmas. She tricked me on that one!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)