BluRay gaining support!!

Both formats can't stay around forever! One or the other will have to win, and the other will have to go bye bye!

I too am not a Sony fan, and therefore anything Sony has to do with, I don't want anything to do with. I don't own a Walkman, Vaio (or however that is spelled, their computer line), or any other Sony product, I did in the past, hence why I don't like them, but for now and the future, I will not ever buy Sony products again.

Joe, you state that "But Sony did not develope BluRay by itself. There were several partners:", but, who was the biggest financial supporter of blu-ray? SONY In other words, who poured more money into the project than anyone else, Sony did of course. Therefore, Blu-Ray players and disc, is likely 50% plus because of Sony and their money, and therefore, more of a Sony product than any of the other companies involved with the development of Blu-Ray.

Yeah Blu-Ray will win due to most of the movie industry is putting most of their titles on Blu-Ray. Which means that most hardware companies will make Blu-Ray players and recorders. Plus on the recording side of things Blu-Ray has more space on their disk which means everyone can do more.

Right now I'm in no hurry to buy a HDDVD Player or Blu-Ray. I plain on waiting until about this time next year when there are more players out there. Which means they should be allot cheaper.

Yeah Blu-Ray will win due to most of the movie industry is putting most of their titles on Blu-Ray. Which means that most hardware companies will make Blu-Ray players and recorders. Plus on the recording side of things Blu-Ray has more space on their disk which means everyone can do more.

Let's make a deal. You keep enjoying the movie industry putting most of their titles like RV, Little Man, and the Benchwarmers exclusively on Blu-ray as long as us poor little HD-DVD people can keep our exclusive titles like Casablanca, Harry Potter: GoF, Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, King Kong, the Mummy, and Serenity.

LOL! Well at this years IFA meeting that was shown on HDNet most of the top industry reps were there and most of them were going with Blu-Ray. HDDVD had one one two people on the panel so say what you want or even myself. They will determine what will be the standard which means they will half to come to some kind of agreement.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/bluraywins102306.htm

Seven of the eight major studios have announced support for Blu-ray (Universal is the lone hold out) and four of them are backing it exclusively (they won't release titles in the HD-DVD format). This will give Blu-ray a tremendous advantage in the number of available titles in the new HDTV DVD category.

http://www.blu-ray.com/info/

Blu-ray is currently supported by more than 170 of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer, recording media, video game and music companies. The format also has broad support from the major movie studios as a successor to today's DVD format. Seven of the eight major movie studios have already announced titles for Blu-ray, including Warner, Paramount, Fox, Disney, Sony, MGM and Lionsgate. The initial line-up is expected to consist of over 100 titles and include recent hits as well as classics such as Batman Begins, Desperado, Fantastic Four, Fifth Element, Hero, Ice Age, Kill Bill, Lethal Weapon, Mission Impossible, Ocean's Twelve, Pirates of the Caribbean, Reservoir Dogs, Robocop, and The Matrix. Many studios have also announced that they will begin releasing new feature films on Blu-ray Disc day-and-date with DVD, as well as a continuous slate of catalog titles every month.

So with that being said I think Blu-Ray will have plenty of good titles and there will be some companies release titles for both HDDVD and Blu-Ray. But for now Blu-Ray most likely will have more titles.

Last edited:
Disney, Fox, and Paramount were initially DIVX exclusive--we all remember how well that worked out for them. HD-DVD is the consumer friendly format, Blu-ray is yet another Sony proprietary format.

Yeah thats for sure. I think both formats are good who will win we will half to see. Just right now with the way things are going it seems Blu-Ray will but whoever does all parties will half to come to some kind of terms. But as far as Blu-Ray goes it been proprietary that will all fall to the way side. Right now there is probably some truth to that but I would say that its true for both sides. Until everyone decides on one format.

"...One or the other will have to win, and the other will have to go bye bye! ..."

Why?

I intensely dislike Sony. I've had several "disappointing" second rate products from them and simply avoid the brand now. Their "root kit" was the last straw. But I'm inclined to believe Blu-ray will eventually win out over HD-DVD. The broader support, the better technical specs and greater capacity and room for growth may well see it thru a poor start and a consumer-hostile Sony. But I won't cry if HD-DVD in fact triumphs. Maybe both will stick around. In a year or so, maybe it will be clearer, maybe they'll have good players out for $400 and maybe I'll look into buying one or the other.

But I must admit the Vaio is a very good laptop. The thief at work went past several computers and cheaper laptops and took the Vaio. Oh well, a few days later he came back for the cheap laptops, too.

HMM I have never had any issues with my Sony Products! Sorry you to hear you had some but all manufactures had some issues. Overall Sony is still one of the best out there on the market. Yes I worked in the IT field and have never seen any many issues with their laptops. Really I have never seen any real issues with Sony mid to top of the line products. Most time it's user error something the user has done to the hardware that has caused problem.Either way I think Blu-Ray will be the winner due to like I have said the Entertainment Industry like the movie studios so forth is what will determine this. Right now most of them our show support for Blu-ray but we will see.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/bluraywins102306.htm

For every prediction that Blu-Ray will win, there are equal predictions that HD-DVD will win.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/29/enderle_on_christmas_trends/

I don't think studio support will decide this "war". Both formats have ample studio support. It's a matter of personal taste which format has the better selection. I personally prefer titles from Universal and Warner over Sony and Disney. Fox does have some very good titles.

Who ultimately wins or loses will be decided by the consumer. I personally have both formats. Most consumers will only choose 1 or shun both until a clear "winner" emerges. Price point of players will ultimately decide who wins.

Not counting gaming systems PS3 499-599 and X-box HDDVD add-on (199), BR players range from 799-1500 whereas HDDVD ranges from 499-999.

Scott

Let's see, there was the Sony camcorder, multiple repairs, finally thrown in trash. Capacitors on circuit board kept popping- supposedly a known issue but never fixed. Then there was the VCR that was wonderful- until the power supply failed. Three times. Third time they installed a newly designed beefier ps. It also failed. Built like a tank, repairman begged me not to trash it- surely they would support it. But he didn't want it. The replacement was ok, but the coax in connector fell off. Could not repair for reasonable $s- played tapes fine though. Now there's 2 DVD players. I should have learned my lesson after the first one. Both have miserable fast forward scanning. Not very fast, and jerky freeze frames in this "fast forward" mode. Cheaper models I bought around the same time from other brands perform better. No, not the user at fault for their design and construction problems.

And then there's their "not quite compatible" memory sticks, priced high and performing slowly.

And their miserable roll out of BD just shows how highly they view themselves and their opinion of their customers.

And most of all, their root kit fiasco. Tell me this company does not hold it's customers in utter contempt.

Yet still I suspect this time their game plan will succeed. The technical merits and greater support may win out. It will be a year or more from now before sales will have (maybe) picked up and pricing and title availability will weigh in heavily. HD-DVD may win, but it is ludicrous to say the game is over already.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-12604_7-6625846-1.html

Rely on the broadest industry support from the brands you trust and be assured of getting the best high-def content, product choices and overall viewing experience. More than 90% of major Hollywood studios, virtually all leading consumer electronics companies, four of the top PC brands, the world's two largest music companies, PLAYSTATION® 3 and the leading gaming companies, all support Blu-ray Disc.

More than 170 of the world's leading consumer electronics companies, PC manufacturers, content providers and other brands you trust have joined the Blu-ray Disc Association, including:

Read more by clicking on the link.

Its an ad from the blu-ray empire...not an independant review with real facts. Funny thing is half of those companies are looking at a nasty anti trust lawsuit over lcd price gouging and production manipulation. So they would be the first people I trusted for information.

I think it comes doen to who has the better priced machines. Most people aint going to buy the $500.00 PS3 and the $800.00 - $900.00 price for a Blue-Ray player is insane...

Saw a nice lookin HD-A2 last night at best buy sitting on the shelf for $499, the sony BD player was sitting next to it for a grand. The funny thing was the POS bravia that the BD player was hooked upto had like 10 dead pixels.

I see Swann still hasnt grown another half of a brain.

Yeap. Like I said, I really don't think it will matter how much studio support either format has. Both have good support. It will, as always, come down to how much the consumer is willing to pay. The vast majority of people are not going to buy a PS3 or HDDVD add-on for their Entertainment system to be their primary Blu-Ray/HDDVD player. It will come down to how much the main player costs. $200-$300 (max) will be the magic number for wide adoption.

I am an owner of both formats. I will not say at this time one will win out over the other. It's too early. Each format has its own advantages, and I enjoy both.

Like someone over at the other forum said, "Be an HD fan, not a fanboy."

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts