Boxee's Next Box is an OTA DVR

The question on these is always where they get the guide information and what is the subscription cost?

The question on these is always where they get the guide information and what is the subscription cost?

That's always the big question. PSIP is not ver proven useful for a multi-tuner DVR, and TV Guide On Screen (whomever owns them) support has been dismal the past few years. I would love to see them stream guide data free-of-charge. We shall see.

I want one of these...

Out of all the streamer boxes I have nothng comes close to the Boxee Box.

What?? the box is buggy as hell!!

Boxee support is no were to be seen.

Just go to their forum to see what a mess boxee box is.

It is rumored that Sony plans to come out with a box that will go against Google tv , boxee, roku Etc. This rumor seems strange since sony does make a stand alone google tv box.

Whats buggy about it?

It plays everything I throw at it... the repositories rock... if I want to watch ANYTHING chances I can find it on Boxee.

The big complaint I see about the Boxee is it stutters on some audio streams... but in my bedroom where I use my Boxee I don't have an audio receiver which can decode those formats so it does not bug me at all.

When I did have an issue needing support Avner got back to me in minutes and the issue was user error. :D

Show me another box that can do what the Boxee Box can do... I don't think there is one. :)

I want one of these...

Out of all the streamer boxes I have nothng comes close to the Boxee Box.

Hey Scott I got a Boxee Box 3 weeks ago and have had no success at all for adding any 3rd party repositories. Every one I've tried to add won't go thru - seems like you have to have the exact URL to a T, otherwise you are rejected. Do you know of any good ones? Also the manual included with Boxee is just a 5 page setup document, where do I go to get detailed info on Boxee?

Well the device sounds kind of dumb...

1) it has a different chipset it it so a lot of the local media playback that works in the current Boxee Box will not play on the new Boxee Box.

2) Its a dual tuner DVR (GOOD) but there is no hard drive... and it only stores data to their cloud service. I can't imagine recording all my shows in HD and having it save everything using my internet connection. I would be over my data cap in no time whatsoever. If they would let me plug in a drive to the back and store stuff there then maybe I would get one.

This part of the NBC News article also turns me off greatly.

According to Dellheim, customers were using just five of the Boxee apps 90 percent of the time. The new device will launch with those five: Netflix, Vudu, YouTube and Vimeo for video and Pandora for music.Other apps, such as Spotify, will come in the future, Dellheim said. But the device will support nowhere near 400 apps, she said, and users will no longer be able to create their own. Nor will the old Boxee Box be able to run the new Boxee TV software.

Boxee just killed themselves.

So yea, can't say I'm completely surprised cause these are the same people that killed the PC software which was the thing that got them this far in the first place...

The change in chipset is an interesting development because it used the same Intel CE4100 chips that were in the Revue. Guess Boxee didn't want to keep spending the extra dough to stick with Blue.

So the Engadget article on this says that the DVR service is only going to be in certain markets, with future markets going online in 2013. So I don't think this box is actually sending video back up to their cloud service. That would just kill your upstream bandwidth. I think they are just recording the feeds from those markets and storing them online, then you are just saying what shows you want "record" or access. But then again, why make a point to say that it's a dual tuner?

This thing is a huge miss and the thing with limiting the apps? Are they serious?

I do not understand why they are going with cloud storage... An USB plug in hard drive would be a much simpler solution and not cause bandwidth issues....

Still love my old Boxee Box. We use it quite a lot. The movie inventory with the movie posters and trailers is awesome! Kinda like your own personal Netflix.

I too will not buy a new one. I will buy another old one over the new one. It has to be able to support all my media backups of dvd and blurays otherwise it is pointless.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

More bad news, one more update to the Boxee Box and that's it.

At the same time, we are also working to release a separate update to the Boxee Box to update the Flash player and fix some key bugs. After this update the Boxee Box will go into maintenance mode. We will discontinue its distribution and will not be releasing any additional major updates.

http://blog.boxee.tv/2012/10/16/boxee-box-past-present-and-future/

Fine with me. Box works fine like it is for me. But I do not use all the features of it.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

What a shame, I was excited when I first heard about this device. I was assuming for the DVR piece, you would be able to attach your own hard drive. But to make it "cloud based" is a joke. Sounds like a way for them to charge $15 a month and have a subscription-based revenue stream coming in. I'd rather pay a little more upfront for the box, but be able to store my shows locally without any subscription. Weak.

does anyone know if with the soon to be sold boxee tv unit, will the qam signals work with the channel guide that will come with it? assume it will for the OTA but I am considering it for qam use only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)