Brad Lidge Demoted... yikes?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Brad Lidge lost the closing job this year after losing to close games in two opportunity in this early season. Lidge was compared to the great Mariano Rivera as the next in line. Yet after Albert Pujols delivered the home run that won the game for St. Louis in the 2004 post season and prevented the Houston Astros from reaching the World Series, Lidge has not been the same pitcher. Prior to this event Lidge was un-hittable but now, two years later, he has been demoted to middle relief. He did not even make it as a set up man in Houston.

This creates a very bad situation. At this point should Lidge be traded or has the Houston Astro diminished his value in the open market. I still believe Lidge has great stuff and should be able to pitch again with confidence but I think he is not going to do it Houston. I think at this point the Houston Astros burned the bridges of confindence with him. What do you think?

Brad Lidge lost the closing job this year after losing to close games in two opportunity in this early season. Lidge was compared to the great Mariano Rivera as the next in line. Yet after Albert Pujols delivered the home run that won the game for St. Louis in the 2004 post season and prevented the Houston Astros from reaching the World Series, Lidge has not been the same pitcher. Prior to this event Lidge was un-hittable but now, two years later, he has been demoted to middle relief. He did not even make it as a set up man in Houston.

This creates a very bad situation. At this point should Lidge be traded or has the Houston Astro diminished his value in the open market. I still believe Lidge has great stuff and should be able to pitch again with confidence but I think he is not going to do it Houston. I think at this point the Houston Astros burned the bridges of confindence with him. What do you think?

Yep, I think it maybe time for a new 'change of scenery. I think he has great stuff, but lack of confidence will kill him if he is not out of Houston....and soon.....

The playoff homerun he gave up to Pujols was not in 2004. It was 2005, and they won the next game to make it to the World Series.

| think they already determined to have him on a short leash this year. They waited too long last year before temporarily demoting him. Nolan Ryan worked with him a little in the offseason, but he still had a bad spring. I think if he had a good spring, then they may have given him a few more chances. I don't think he will be traded. They are hoping he comes around and can work on the problems getting more regular action in non crucial situations. He seems to have control of either his fast ball OR his slider but not both at one time.

All in all, it wasn't just 2 games that made them come to the decision --- it was all of last year, a bad spring, and the 2 games added onto that. Plus, maybe they don't want Clemens to think any small lead he could have (if he chose to come back and play for Houston) wouldn't be blown.

He hasn't done very good for a while and the stros were tired of giving him chances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts