Breaking: Universal Studios Goes Blu

teamerickson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
Breaking: Universal Studios Goes Blu | High-Def Digest

Faster then expected!

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will release its titles on Blu-ray.

Though details of the studio's transition away from HD DVD were still sketchy at press time, Universal Studios Home Entertainment President Craig Kornblau officially confirmed the move in a just issued statement:

"The path for widespread adoption of the next-generation platform has finally become clear. Universal will continue its aggressive efforts to broaden awareness for hi-def’s unparalleled offerings in interactivity and connectivity, at an increasingly affordable price. The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate. While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray."

Universal's statement this morning comes only hours after primary HD DVD-backer Toshiba announced that it would drop its support of the format. Universal was the format's most ardent studio backer, having released titles on HD DVD exclusively since the format's inception.

We'll have more on this breaking story as it comes to us.

Last edited:
wow maybe the can actually put both versions of american gangster in HD instead of one in SD and one in HD like they did with HD DVD.

I cant wait for paramount to announce Transformers in Blu-ray that is my favorite High def disk of all! come on paramount.

paramount actually announced an HD DVD release today. they may be a bit behind in making a decsioin and/or announcing it.

I gather there's no estimate as to when the first Universal Blu-ray hits the streets, or which one it might be.

I think that paramount may takea tad longer. No foever but maybe just not tomorrow.

Paramount's lawyers may be working out some legal issues with Toshiba and the HD DVD group involving the small matter of $150 million. Once that's settled, they'll announce officially.

Actually I don't think we ever confirmed any of the alleged payoffs. Bu tmy understanding is that paramount will come just not as quick as some said.But I ahve been wrong b4.

I heard a radio ad yesterday offering 3 free HD movies with the purchase of a Toshiba HD DVD player.:tux:

While Supplies Last. Better hurry in any coupons you have for your free discs (just got the last of mine the beginning of the month).

Actually I don't think we ever confirmed any of the alleged payoffs. Bu tmy understanding is that paramount will come just not as quick as some said.But I ahve been wrong b4.

What does everyone think is best? Blu Ray or HD DVD. My son has both on his new computer. I can't really tell. But, he likes Blu Ray better for some reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)