BREAKING VOOM DVR News from CES!!!

morgan52 said:
BTW, my son in law is a videographer for VOOM HDNews and is in Indonesia at this writing doing a Tsunami report for VOOM News. Your prayers are appreciated to keep him safe

Who says VOOM is not committted to HD News. Sending a cameraman to Indonesia is no small task or cheap. Our prayers are with him and all that survived this disaster.

Twenty-one more VOOM exclusive channels?

You've got to be kidding.

That means only 10 channels left for pay-per-view or network feeds or whatever.

If VOOM adds a truckload of exclusive channels to their limited capacity, I hope an asteroid takes out the satellite they're on and puts me out of my misery.

Unfortunatley, my beloved Voom was one-upped today by my cable company. Charter communications is releasing the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD multi room HD DVR. The 8300 is now available and the multi room capability is being beta tested. WOW. This allows you to recod on the 8300 and play back on any Scientific Atlanta digital box anywhere in your house- no additional cables needed! The 8300 even supplies a SATA hard drive connector allowing you to buy an external SATA drive and let's you choose how much space you choose to have. Now, the cable company only has 10 HD channels, but this is intriguing.

Would Voom be able to allow the external drive via the USB ports (are they 2.0?). How about eplacing the multi switch with a device that networks the boxes together that eliminates the additional cables between boxes, etc.

jgantert said:
Give it up.

The Cinema10 offerings have greatly improved since last April when I joined. It just takes time to acquire the content.

I agree that the offerings have definitely improved since I joined Voom back in March. The movie offerings still seems to take a lot of bashing though. If you compare the quality of films played on Cinema 10 and compare them to what's played on a premium channel like HBO or Cinemax, they are comparable in quality. Cinema 10 has played some pretty good movies. The original Manchurian Candidate, The Terminator, Avanti!, House of Games, The Magnificent Seven, My Life as a Dog cover a broad range of movies that have been played on Voom. Yes, Voom does not play newer movies. However, you also do not see movies that are played on say, World Cinema or Film Fest or FU anywhere else out there. Those channels are definitely unique. I am not even mentioning Monster Channel since that is not considered part of the Cinema 10 lineup.

Yes, you run into some real "duds" on Cinema 10, but you also get that with the regular premium movie channels as well.

(sarcasm on) The 21 new Voom exclusives will be West coast feeds of the existing channels. :D (sarcasm off).

jgantert said:
Give it up.

The Cinema10 offerings have greatly improved since last April when I joined. It just takes time to acquire the content.

One of my gripes about the content is that they don't replay older movies that they have shown. Ie: I still haven't seen Woman in Red. It was on in Dec 03 - Jan 04 timeframe, but I haven't seen a repeat since. Same with the 70's Pam Grier movies (Coffee, Bucktown, etc...). They were on constantly for a month or two, but now nothing.

-John

I'm with you. The Cinema 10 selections have increased. What I'm talking about is Equator HD, Rave, Rush, channels like that. I mean come on. Everytime I turn on Equator Hd it's the same thing I saw 100 times. How many times can a person watch Eye Over France.
I too am really hoping this changes. This is one of the reasons I have stuck with Voom. But until they get new content I really can't see them having 42 originals without spreading out the content, showing the same show all day long on a channel.
I really would like to hear something from Voom about this. What are the channels and what is the new content? Given their past track record I think I'm right. Although I hope not.

DarrellP said:
(sarcasm on) The 21 new Voom exclusives will be West coast feeds of the existing channels. :D (sarcasm off).
Good one Darrell! As negative as I am, I didn't even think of this one. I'm going to try though to be more positive. I just wish Voom would listen to its customers.

The guy who said 21 will be exclusives doesnt even have voOm yet.... This hasnt been confirmed by anybody and I would be very suprised if they added more exclusives when the new capacity goes online.... they have a good amount now and no need to add more to that, just fill the content you have now its stretched thinly enough as it is.

I hope they will show the DVR on Channel 700 and 999

morgan52 said:
Really been waiting on VOOM to introduce this DVR and home solutions before I sign up. I know if I switched now from Dish Network my wife would be furious. She has gotten so spoiled by DVR functions. Even if they don't make the March release date they will still be miles ahead of the competition!

BTW, my son in law is a videographer for VOOM HDNews and is in Indonesia at this writing doing a Tsunami report for VOOM News. Your prayers are appreciated to keep him safe

I am have been to Indonesia Many times while I was in the service on OPs there tell your brother in law to keep his head down I am very sure the fighting there is going to start again soon... I agree that VOOM has been draging there feet for some time with the DVR it was going to releassed lastsummer 2004 .. They ned to make it public on there INVOOM channeles and put the skinnny out to all us paying S.O.B.s andmaybe put demos out early to sears and other markets that are carrying the satt program.. hey it is only my thoughts BUT I am sticking to them...
TED!!!!!!

jagouar said:
The guy who said 21 will be exclusives doesnt even have voOm yet.... This hasnt been confirmed by anybody and I would be very suprised if they added more exclusives when the new capacity goes online.... they have a good amount now and no need to add more to that, just fill the content you have now its stretched thinly enough as it is.

If you are talking about me yes I have VOOM and had it since Nov 1st 2004....if you mean the VOOM CSR you maybe right he might not have VOOM

Two different DVRs?

From the latest Inner Circle newsletter (talking about the demonstration at CES):

...both our networkable HD-PVR that is in development and the stand-alone HD-PVR that we plan to release this spring...

Does that mean that the DVR that allows recorded shows to be viewed on other VOOM boxes is a _different_ DVR than a stand-alone one, and that is not the one that will be coming out around March (and sounds not to have any date for its release)? If so, that would be very disappointing...
:confused:

I noticed that phrasing also..... grrrr. I don't think there are many ways to
misinterpret that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)