Broadband problem VIP 722

mruk69 said:
I'm so sick of itas of Monday i am dropping BBMP and HBO. The movies in the mail have now started to take 4 or 5 days to arrive from 160 miles away lol.
I am signing up with Amazon Prime as I have it on my TV and Blu-ray player. It is $79 for a year and included 2 day free shipping on any purchases and unlimited streaming of the movies (including new ones),tv shows (including HBO series). Which means I will gain more than I will lose and save money.

This is a good deal but NOT all of Amazons movies are free to stream with Amazon Prime.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

What is the source of this information?

A dish second level tech service person mentioned 1st quarter 2012 repair. They gave me 3 PPV coupons. My 722 is actually acting better now. It is not erasing rentals overnight like it was doing.

"We are sorry the basic functions of your DVR do not perform as advertised here is a free move coupon." We will continue to hawk our product as being state of the art and entice prospective customers with all our the whiz-bang DVR functions, however they simply do not work. When we finally get nailed by a customer that our statements and advertisements are false, we fall back on free rentals. Give me a break and quit giving me dog biscuits to pacify me. FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM DISH and quit playing these stupid games with free rental coupons. I can't access my damn DVR via the internet which you say in your pretty advertisements I can. Quit making me do the reset crap and wasting my time, your employees time and this forum's time. FIX IT. This is simply ridiculous.

Hey guys, newbie here. So, I'm not the total idiot that I feel I am? I've done all the steps for hooking up my dvr to my routher. Used the wireless adaptor thingy(sorry I'm not that much of a techie to know the proper lingo, but I'm very good at following instructions...), used an ethernet cable...nothing. The receiver still doesn't recognize them. I keep getting a connection failed reading. Piss me off!! Would like to use the VOD, and maybe even be able to program my DVR from a remote area, but nooooo...I can't get them to work and the CSR at Dish suggests I call CLEAR to fix the issue. Really? If it were an issue with my router or my modem wouldn't my xbox live not work? It works just fine! Dish may be cheaper but I'm almost ready to go back to Xfinity even though it costs more. The service was at least reliable! Thanx for listening. Sooooo frusrated!

Having the same issue. Just upgraded from my vip222k and got a vip722 and the thing will not request an IP address. When I manually request an IP after rebooting my router, no issue what so ever until the next time the vip722 reboots. Getting frustrated with this especially since I had reuqested a 922 an was told that it wasn't part of the lease program. Never was given the opportunity to even purchase.

I'm using a 722k. I am unable to access the DVR via DRA or Dish online. I can access AFTER I re-establish a broadband connection via the DVR menu even though that menu shows the DVR IS connected to the network, has an IP address and is online. This makes no sense as the DVR is connected to my network, shows as connected via the router, is pingable over my network, etc. but inaccessible online until I "re-establish" a connection. Of course, by the next day the DVR is inaccessible again. This is a problem on Dish's end and the sooner Dish quits worrying and asking about what type of router the customer is using, his ISP, etc. and fixes it's own problem, the better. All the features Dish touts via online access to a DVR do not work. FIX THIS. I sent a note to customer support and of course, I was advised to power down the damn DVR and unplug the DAMN ethernet cable and then reconnect. The same answer given for every problem. I don't know why I bother contacting customer non-support.

Last edited:
Almost idenitical problem as to what I have going on. This was the reason I found out that eventhough my 722 "shows" an IP, and at times that it doesn't, it is still connected on my network and is pingable as well. The only reason I found this out as I too was trying to set my DVR via my iPhone.

Is there anyone affiliated with Dish who has a clue as to when or if this will be fixed or even if it is being worked on? Are we now to assume that accessing programming stored on the DVR online is no longer available and what was once a "feature" will not be available anymore? The silence on this issue is deafening.

I am experiencing the same issue as discussed in the thread.

VIP722-L722
I have att Uverse 18MB (IP-DSL) ATT's primary DNS is junk. I switched over to OPENDNS free servers and saw a huge increase in my speed and browsing etc.. I switched routers out from stock ATT to my APPLE Airport Extreme, applied the DNS and problem exists. I have tested via wireless and wired still exists. Please add me to the list of complainers, lol

Check out the page views of this thread compared to the other threads--same thing on their support forum. Does that tell you something? Dish has a problem and they obviously have no idea what it is and will not admit it.

It requires me not only to reset the connection on the menu screen, but also a reboot of my router becuse even doing the reset connection on the 722, it does not send the request to my router. Everything else in my network has no issues at all, including my 222K which grabs an IP quite easily. And the 222K is setup in my router the same exact way. What's with that?

Are people with the 922 having the same issue? I tried obtaining one from DISH today, and was told that they are still not available. Anyone know when they might be?

Now that's a great solution. We all need to contact Dish and ask them what ISP we should use in order to access our receivers via the internet using Dish online and DRA. I don't know why I didn't think to contact my television provider to get their ok on which ISP I should use. Silly me, I won't make THAT mistake again. I guess if I don't have access to Cox HSI for my ISP then I will just have to be content with having no access to my receiver. The moral of this story is apparently:

Cox HSI = Dish Online
AT&T DSL = Dish receiver offline.

This is an issue with AT&T's gateways having broken UPnP (though it may be on other gateways as well). They don't seem to reliably keep their UPnP-forwarded ports forwarded indefinitely. Adding the receiver's IP to the DMZ does resolve the problem, though it may also be beneficial to set up a DHCP reservation for it (since it's not currently possible to set a static IP on the receiver side, and if the receiver's IP changes, it will no longer be in the DMZ). Regarding Sling Adapter and 922: Sling uses port 5101 TCP/UDP. If the issue you're having is with Sling specifically, forwarding that port (in lieu of placing the receiver in the DMZ) is likely to resolve the issue.

I use DHCP reservation and my router consistently hands the same address to my receiver within the DHCP allocation. Generally after the nightly download the DVR is accessible first thing in the morning but always goes "offline" during the day, even though it is in fact online. This morning the DVR is accessible online using Dish Remote Access but shows as "offline" via Dish Online. For the life of me I fail to see how this can be an issue with my Motorola router/gateway as I have had reliable online access through DRA and Dish Online for the past year until the last several weeks. I'm not slinging anything, just trying to view the contents of the DVR online and don't use and have never needed to use any port forwarding for simple online access. It would appear Dish has introduced something in the latest firmware update which is creating issues when attempting to access the receiver online. The receiver shows as being online via my router, the broadband menu on my TV and is pingable via the network. If it was an ISP gateway issue then why is my receiver online this morning when using DRA and offline when using Dish Online?

Edited to show more strangeness. Shortly after I posted I again tried to access my DVR content via Dish Online. After being offline and multiple attempts to "reconnect", lo and behold all of a sudden the DVR shows as online and displays the DVR usage percentage. Online access is extremely sporadic (rare) and when I do have a short period of access it is inconsistent between DRA and Dish Online so how do I blame this on my AT&T gateway/router?

Last edited:
Now that's a great solution. We all need to contact Dish and ask them what ISP we should use in order to access our receivers via the internet using Dish online and DRA. I don't know why I didn't think to contact my television provider to get their ok on which ISP I should use. Silly me, I won't make THAT mistake again. I guess if I don't have access to Cox HSI for my ISP then I will just have to be content with having no access to my receiver. The moral of this story is apparently:

Cox HSI = Dish Online
AT&T DSL = Dish receiver offline.
I switched because I work from home and need a reliable internet connection. I had intermittent drops that AT&T was unable to resolve. The fact that it cleared up the connectivity issue with my 722 was just a bonus...

I actually got at&t to change my router and it still does not work. I am having no connection/streaming problems with with my connected tv and blu-ray player (both Panasonic).
My 772 wont even download movies. It keeps buffering and if you just let it download to watch later, you can not watch it. The only choice you get is info delete or done.

Online access is extremely sporadic (rare) and when I do have a short period of access it is inconsistent between DRA and Dish Online so how do I blame this on my AT&T gateway/router?

Folks forget all this started with the firmware updates released around 10/1/2011. ATT did not update all their routers at that time, Dish released new firmware and broke something either at the receiver or DishOnline side.

It looks like UPnP and port forwarding would only come into play once the Siing stream starts. The DVR management type functions look like they are managed by a receiver initiated kept-alive TCP session.

All the claims that it is UPnP/port forwarding problems or that you need to put the receiver in the DMZ are all work arounds at best. The fact is NONE of that should be necessary. Sling works just fine behind routers with none of that enabled. Sling consistently worked fine before the 10/1 updates for ATT folks.

Something on the ATT side is exacerbating the problem. Are the 2Wire firewalls closing sessions too quickly? Is Dish doing some sort of load balancing the firewall is overly sensitive to? Is one side of the connection generating a malformed packet the firewall is dropping? Placing the unit in the DMZ essentially removes the firewall from the equation, but it is the "killing a fly with a sledgehammer" solution. It works, but you don't know if a fly swatter would have been all that is needed.

I run multiple peer to peer type servers behind my Uverse gateway and none of them have the issues Dish has.

It is not an ATT issue as I dont have ATT. I have Comcast cable and continue to have the same issues. It is in fact the code/firmware on the 722 as every other device including my 222k have no issue grabbing an IP and keeping it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)