Browse bug in ViP receivers (622 and 211)?

rvonder

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
Leesburg, VA
I often use the "Browse banner" (the one that opens with the right-arrow button) instead of the full Guide to scan channels, using the up- and down-arrow keys.

With the new VIP series receivers, the Browse banner allows use of the right-arrow to view several days' worth of upcoming programs. Nice feature, but on both my 622 and 211, I find that when I scroll up and down through the channels the Browse banner intermittently displays some future time period in the left-most box instead of the current program. When this happens, you have to use the left-arrow repeatedly until you get back to the current time period.

Problem is that you don't easily notice that you're not seeing the info for the current program -- and it's even worse if you press Select to view what you think is the current program, only to have the DVR timer screen appear because you're actually selecting a future event.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to this, other than it happens quite frequently and is really a nuisance. I've called Dish about it, but the CSR could find no similar reports in their knowledge base of reported bugs. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person in the world using the Browse feature -- has anyone else experienced this same bug? Is it a known issue?

Thanks!

If you are positioned in the right/second box then up and down are in time not program position.
So if box 1 has a long program when you go up/down from box 2 you may be several boxes over in box 1, which show the box before what is displayed in box 2. Moral go fully left before using up or down, if you don't like a surprise.

What annoys me is if you are going through the guide at the 1/2 hour, you may be shifted by several hours. IIRC, the shift is only 1/2 hour if you are at the leftmost position, not just in the leftmost box. I don't know what happens in browse mode at the program end time--I don't stay long enough.

-Ken

Ken,
aeaven if you go fully left before going up or down it will still end up going ahead in tiime making it necessary to continuly keep moing to the left to stay curent.

n0qcu -
You hit it right on the head: The leftmost box is supposed to be the current program. If you're positioned there, the display should continue to display the current programs as you move up or down -- it should never jump forward in time unless you hit the right arrow. (And personally, I think it should always return to the current program as soon as you move up or down to a new channel, even if you had shifted forward on the previously-displayed channel.)

You shouldn't have to hit the left arrow every time you move up or down to a different channel, just to be sure you're viewing the current program. This never happened with the two-slot browse banner in the older receivers.

Rob

When I get home from work tonight I'll have to check & see what it does the same on my 942.

Ok, checked out my 942 and once you move back to the current program it stays there so this definitely is a new bug in the vip series receivers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)