BUD 4DTV and FTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcpete

Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Hi, this is my first post to the forum. I have a 10 foot dish with C-Band and KU-Band capabilities. Everything is working fine with this sytem. Any recomendations on a FTA receiver? I presume I would slave it to my 4DTV and let the 4DTV receiver change satellites? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Chris

Hello and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

I love my new Traxis DBS 3500, I also use the Fortec Classic NA, have a look at our review area for more ideas!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Both receivers can be slaved together with just a short run of coax, the down side being you are stuck on the same polarity as the master.

There are other ways to do it................................

I would second the vote for the Traxis 3500. Got mine a few weeks back and tied it into my existing system (922 + coship 2300b) and it proved its cost effective, works well, and is clueless electronic wife friendly. Whatever you do be sure to go for a unit that is blind search capable.

SD

Pete,

You say there are other ways to do it? I'm not thrilled about being stuck on the same polarity. Is there any other way besides getting another dish? I once had a Monty 95 slaved to my 4DTV, but eventially got rid of the Monty because it was a pain. I forget now if I had that same restriction. It's been a while. I guess I'm not a lot different from most in this forum. If my family can't easily use it, then it won't get used.

Thanks for the link on how to hook it up to the 4DTV. It seems familiar. I guess that's probably the way I had my Monty slaved.

Chris

Last edited:
All you have to do to change the polarity is use the remote on the 4DTV and go up or down one channel. you do have to know what polarity the 4DTV is on when using smart scan.

Thanks for the link. So this approach doesn't limit you to one polarity?

The Traxis 3500 looks good. What if I wanted PVR capability? What's a good recomendation in that case?

Thanks, Chris

Deck402,

Thanks for the explaination. I guess that doesn't sound too bad - changing the channel up and down to change polarity.

Chris

Correct, but I agree with deck402, if you don't have to use a switch DON'T!

I also understand the Wife factor :)

dcpete said:
I'm not thrilled about being stuck on the same polarity.

Chris,

I don't understand how you would be "stuck" on one polarity? I have a Satworks 3618 and a Quali TV QS 1080 slaved through my 922. What ever TP you have the 922 on determines what polarity the other 2 will operate on. For example if you have the 922 on Ku AMC 3 (K3), TP 18, which is horizontal and you want to scan the PBS stations and they are on vertical, just flip it up to TP 19 and the polarity will change to vertical, do your scan or manual entry and you will be watching PBS.

What I do is when I want to look for something I go to the satellite with the 922, as soon as it gets there I hit the up arrow and the skew, dish and freq screen comes up, hit the channel button up or down, depending on what polarity you want, do your thing with the slave and you will be in bussines.

I only have experience with the Satworks 3618 and the 3688. The 3688 has a lot of good features, but is not very user friendly. The 3618 has less features than the 3688, but it makes up for it by being very easy to use. I love the 3618.

The Quali TV is for 4:2:0, 4:2:2 HD, great receiver, but has a hefty price.

dcpete said:

The Traxis 3500 looks good. What if I wanted PVR capability? What's a good recomendation in that case?

Thanks, Chris

Check out Triple dragon DBS-3000, Dreambox 7020, 7025, Pansat 6000 and a few others that offer that. There is a review for the Pansat in the review area as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)