Building new house, coax question

briansanders007

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
I am building a new house. It's in the stick phase so it will be soon time to start stringing miles of cable for internet and tv. I ran across some mini coax while looking at one of my places I get wire. You can get three or 5 wire in one and thought this would be great since I plan on pulling a lot of locations to each tv. Will these work for hooking up the dish if I pull these to the roof. Anyone know if they are rated or will I be getting into some trouble?

here's a picture of the cable I found with some specs:

3 Conductor Mini Coax 500' - SKY1230B

I am building a new house. It's in the stick phase so it will be soon time to start stringing miles of cable for internet and tv. I ran across some mini coax while looking at one of my places I get wire. You can get three or 5 wire in one and thought this would be great since I plan on pulling a lot of locations to each tv. Will these work for hooking up the dish if I pull these to the roof. Anyone know if they are rated or will I be getting into some trouble?

here's a picture of the cable I found with some specs:

3 Conductor Mini Coax 500' - SKY1230B

Don't use it. That stuff is really for RGB video. Use some quality cable Wire & Cables | Bulk RG6/RG11 Coax Cable | Solid Signal

install conduit then you can easily pull and replace cables as standards change...........

plus conduit is cheap intall it all over, so your ready for whatever the future brings

This stuff is often used in mini-headends and other small commercial applications. A lot of techs will use it to feed base audio and video from receivers into the modulators and the cut to length mini coax is great for that as it can make for a neat install when laid in tracks or tied along rack mounts.

install conduit then you can easily pull and replace cables as standards change...........

plus conduit is cheap intall it all over, so your ready for whatever the future brings

And I make home runs to a central location - from everywhere. I had a basement 4'X6' Utilities room - and not for the washer or dryer! (OK, I had 13 - 5 line telephones in a 9 room house.)

I concur. When building my house about 8 years ago I installed cables to some places and about midway through the construction switched to just conduit. I wish it was all conduit now.

I installed the best cables available at the time, but standards are now higher and I can’t easily replace cables that are tacked to the studs.

when I finished my basment I ran conduit all over and I cant tell you how glad I am that I did
I thought I had a plan and new where every thing was going to go but things changed and I wasn't stuck with what I had
example; hdmi wasn't popular at the time
even my speaker wires are in conduit (for this you can use that cheep plastic flex stuff you can get at the big box home centers)
completly future proof

Even on post wire?

Perhaps you can explain the process by where you can attach coax to studs after the drywall is up?

When i remodeled a bathroom in my old house, I had to pull permits and the electrical inspection required that all wires be attached to the studs and all holes where wires went through had to be filled with expansion foam.

… When i remodeled a bathroom in my old house, I had to pull permits and the electrical inspection required that all wires be attached to the studs and all holes where wires went through had to be filled with expansion foam.
Attaching wires/cables to studs (even those that are just carrying signals) is a new construction code requirement everywhere I’ve lived.

Perhaps you can explain the process by where you can attach coax to studs after the drywall is up?

When i remodeled a bathroom in my old house, I had to pull permits and the electrical inspection required that all wires be attached to the studs and all holes where wires went through had to be filled with expansion foam.

You cant which is why I wonder why coax is required to be attached. For one if your having contracters do it, more then likely will damage the cable. So why would one want to attack it to the studs. Specially if you need to replace it.. Hard to pull through when its attached.

You cant which is why I wonder why coax is required to be attached. For one if your having contracters do it, more then likely will damage the cable. So why would one want to attack it to the studs. Specially if you need to replace it.. Hard to pull through when its attached.

During the construction phase, a lot of nails and screws are being placed into drywall, etc. Having cables loose inside the cavity presents a real hazard as it can get entrapped in between the studs and the drywall, where a screw can penetrate and pose a fire hazard. To prevent this, most codes require all wires be secured. Code makers aren't concerned about ease of replacement of wires as they are more concerned about their presence being a safe one.

That is why I almost always use conduit. Only the conduit is fastened to the studs. I usually use 4 square boxes also, even though plaster rings are all that are usually required. I have not been restricted for running extra empty conduit and/or boxes for future expansion either. I did have one inspector try to get me to remove it as abandoned but I labeled the covers, "future # xxx, runs to xxz,xxy etc", and he let it go. Stapling coax, as someone else mentioned almost always damages it - unless you use clips and are very careful. Also be very cafeful with nylon cable ties. Do not dimple the coax. Changes its characteristics!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)