Bulls Eye II Wide Band Feedhorn - 22 KHZ or voltage select ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

john_robot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Ok Guys I have bought this Bulls Eye II Wide Band Feedhorn and thinking of buying 2 wideband KU LNB's and 2 C Wide Band LNBs
And I am thinking of using the voltage mode using WNC switch.

Question is dose it really matter what type of KU LNB switching I select? like 22 KHZ or voltage select?

I found this voltage switching KU lnb on Ebay

LNB KU-BAND | eBay

and 22 KHZ switch

iDirect Diseqc 22 KHz Universal Ku-Band PLL LNB - VSAT and more...

I use a WNC SWA-48 Multi-switch on my Bullseye II. It was modded to provide 18v to all LNBs. It uses the voltage switching from the receiver to to control polarity selection of the LNBs. I use the 22mhz tone "on" to select the KU side. If your LNBs run on 13v you don't need to mod the power outputs of the switch.

Attachments

• OrthoMod 003.JPG
    OrthoMod 003.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 275
  • FeedMod2 003.JPG
    FeedMod2 003.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 314
  • WNC%20SWA-48%20Mod.jpg
    WNC%20SWA-48%20Mod.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 260
If money were no object I would put two Norsat 3215 (C-Band) and two Norsat HS1027a (Ku-Band) LNBS on my BullsEye (about$2700)

Hey, Thank you for your response. I'm very new to all this. On your picture I see that you have a power inserter to the WNC switch I was thinking like if i have the mode I dont have to have power inserter ?

Regarding original question
My main requirement is Wide Band so the Norsat 3215 (C-Band) and two Norsat HS1027a (Ku-Band) wont work. The problem I have is for KU if I hook this LNB http://www.atrexx.com/shop/downloads/PAT-LNBWBKU.pdf with the setup will it work ? coz it has only voltage select mode no 22mhz.

also which mod if better for my setup is it Naughty Mods III: 6x8 Switch with Power Insertion? or the Naughty Mods II: 4x8 Switch with All 18V outputs ?

Last edited:
Hey, Thank you for your response. I'm very new to all this. On your picture I see that you have a power inserter to the WNC switch I was thinking like if i have the mode I dont have to have power inserter ?

Regarding original question
My main requirement is Wide Band so the Norsat 3215 (C-Band) and two Norsat HS1027a (Ku-Band) wont work. The problem I have is for KU if I hook this LNB http://www.atrexx.com/shop/downloads/PAT-LNBWBKU.pdf with the setup will it work ? coz it has only voltage select mode no 22mhz.
His switch has to have power to it. I'm pretty sure that it can't be powered from the receiver voltage. Other switches are different.

Bulls Eye II Wide Band Feedhorn good idea to go with MOD or Not ?
I am in need of wide band to catch out of US satellites.

So now I have

Two C Wide Band LNB 3.7 - 4.2 Ghz

Two Universal Ku 22 KHz 10.7 - 12.75 GHz

Is it a good idea to use WNC or Zinwell voltage mods ?

else what kind of switch setup you guys recommend?

LNBs usually work better on higher voltages, so the mods are good. The power inserter allows you keep the LNBs hot all times, no warm up time. Each LNB may use up to 200ma x4 equal more than you get out of the receiver.Other than that I don't know. How are you going to hook up two Universal KUs and two C-band LNBs on a dual ortho and control it? That will be a trick to see.

I think there may be some misunderstanding on how a Universal KU LNB works here. It does not cover the entire KU band with a single LOF, it just can't, the math won't allow it. So it has two LOF which have to be switched somehow and that usually is with 22mhz tone. You can't run more than one tone switch at a time, so you can't use a multi-switch as in a normal dual orthomode setup with those LNBs. The only way I can see to do that is to add more switches and divide it into seperate c-band and Ku band satellite lists. And that may be more complicated than your receiver can control. It definately adds a lot of variables to the equation

we have two ku ports on Bulls Eye II, so cant you config on the receiver one port for high band and one for low ?

Oh this is very confusing now. lets forget about voltage mode. Is there any other switch I can use to get this connected as a normal setup ?

never heard of Ku LNBs like that...

Subject to further discussion, would this work... ?

2x4 multiswitch on the C-band LNBs
2x4 multiswitch on the Ku-band LNBs (they are Universal?)
outputs of the multiswitches selected by 4:1 diseqc switch?

That way, the Ku multiswitch should pass the 22khz to the Ku LNBs to switch them between LO of 9750 and 10600 (if that is how they work).

we have two ku ports on Bulls Eye II, so cant you config on the receiver one port for high band and one for low ?
the design of the ports is to seperate polarities horizontal or vertical. We would normally use single polarity LNBs on them.

Oh ok now I got it. Ports are for polarities, 22khz is for LO and HI switching. What do you think about Anole's solution. Will it work that way ? i wish I could test this out but my system is not up yet:( pls help.

No Anoles' solution won't work on the ku side. You are still stacking two tone switches and that won't work. Multi-switches are needed for single polarity setups. And multi-switches use tone control. You need a pair of universal Ku single polarity LNBs not switched by tone control. Or abandon the Ortho and go for an all-in-one solution.

You find some of the strangest stuff...No it still won't work because you subbed tone control with voltage control and you are allready using both with a multi-switch. It's got to be physically seperate ports on the LNB (hi/lo) or DiSEqC 1.0 or 1.1 control

No Anoles' solution won't work on the ku side.
You are still stacking two tone switches and that won't work.
Well, my suggestion won't work.
But I called for 2x4 multiswitches, which do NOT use 22khz switching.

The problem with my suggestion is, you need to deliver all four signals to the multiswitch:
- low band vertical
- low band horizontal
- high band vertical
- high band horizontal
And you can't do that with single output LNBs.
(the vertical polarity LNB can't supply both high and low band at once)

I've never seen a Universal Ku LNB, and have no idea how you'd use 'em on an ortho feed.
edit: Okay, I just read about the iDirect Univesal LNB above! - :up

...and...
One way Pendragon solved the problem was to use a 4-output Universal Invacom LNB, which took the place of both Ku LNBs on his ortho.
With four outputs, that LNB gave all four required signals at one time.
He then ran the four outputs to a 4x8 multiswitch, using 22khz for high band.
See his discussions for further explanation.

Last edited:
at this point I'm looking for a way to have the 4 ports configure to work with my Openbox reciver. So How about using DiSEqC switch will it work like that?

And we have just about come full circle with this. So we are now where we cripple the Ku side of the ortho to bolt on a universal 4output LNB to provide frequency coverage needed. This still leaves us a C-Band ortho which is better than not I guess.

On a side note: I'm looking for another dual orthomode feed. The cheapest Bullseye II I have found is $340 shipped and I won't buy from HIM.
anybody know of another cheaper source?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)