Bullseye feed horn hook up w/ only 2 coaxial cables one c, one ku

Status
Please reply by conversation.
bullseye feed horn

I could be wrong here, but i think i was mis understood. My dish is aligned just fine and has been for quite sometime now. I simply replaced a co rotor II feed horn with a bullseye feed horn. I followed what Lak7 suggested (refer to prior comments), but i'm not quite pulling in everthing in. It seems i'm only getting a good signal from the one C-band lnb. Is there anything special to installing a feedhorn (i.e do i need to rotate in or anything like that before tighening it)?
When i replaced it i simply loosened the allen nut holding the co-roter II and slide it out. I then slide the bullseye in and tighten it. The alignment should be as it was. Does that help? Could the multiswitch be the problem?

Thank you

Yes you could have bad multi switch.
you could have a bad lnb.
or you could not have it set right for vertical or horz polaritys.
that is why I posted how I set mine here.

I could be wrong here, but i think i was mis understood. My dish is aligned just fine and has been for quite sometime now. I simply replaced a co rotor II feed horn with a bullseye feed horn. I followed what Lak7 suggested (refer to prior comments), but i'm not quite pulling in everthing in. It seems i'm only getting a good signal from the one C-band lnb. Is there anything special to installing a feedhorn (i.e do i need to rotate in or anything like that before tighening it)?
When i replaced it i simply loosened the allen nut holding the co-roter II and slide it out. I then slide the bullseye in and tighten it. The alignment should be as it was. Does that help? Could the multiswitch be the problem?

Thank you
There could be 2 different problems. First, C band LNB's will sometimes balk at the 13-14 volts they are fed for operating voltage and simply refuse to work. Power inserters were discussed earlier in the thread and would be required to fix this problem. Second, with a Bullseye it is possible to have the KU LNB's oriented exactly backwards which would prevent any KU reception. Loosening the hex set screw and rotating the flanges 90 degrees would fix this problem if it exists...

Here is a pic of the way mine is oriented when the dish is down to the West...

Attachments

• IMG_4291s.jpg
    IMG_4291s.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 189
I could be wrong, but i think i was mis understood. The dish is aligned just fine and has been for quite sometime. I simply replaced a co rotor II with a bullseye feed horn. To replace it, I did the following:

1) disconnected the coaxial cables and the power supply to the rotor
2) losened the allen nut holding the feedhorn in place and slide it out.
3) slide the new (bullseye) feedhorn in and tightened the allen nut to hold it in placed
4). attached the lnbs to the multiswich as discribed by Lak7 in earlier comments.

Is there a trick to how the feedhorn is to be positioned. Do you need to rotate it or something? Can you simply slide it in (given that the dish is already alligned properly)? Or could the multi swich be bad? I am only getting a signal for one C-band lnb?

Thank you

bullseye feed horn

Thank you all. I will try these things. I will also try a different multiswich. I'll let you know.

I did not read what 1captain posted, so i will do that. I wondering if i need to do something at the reciever end, but i read first.

Thank you

Thank you all. I will try these things. I will also try a different multiswich. I'll let you know.

I did not read what 1captain posted, so i will do that. I wondering if i need to do something at the reciever end, but i read first.

Thank you
Just make sure the C band LNB's are in the 22khz off ports of the switch and the KU LNB's are in the 22khz ON ports, and make sure the LNB settings in the receiver reflect this....

When the feed is oriented in the way I have mine, when the dish is up at due south, the top most C band LNB will be vertical and the LNB on the left side will be horizontal. For KU the center LNB will be vertical and the bottom LNB will be horizontal.

bullseye feed horn

Thank you ACRadio. I have a very strong idea that i need to rotate the feed horn. I'm not there to look now. Also, is it possble to hook up the ku lnbs backwards, or will the screw possitions make that impossible, or does it even matter? I'm wondering if i did something goofy there as well?

Thank you all

Egg here on both of mine the top lnb on my due south is Horz, now AC has his set to vertical which is 90 degrees different than mine. which it does not matter as long as these ortho's are set right to the V & H polarity, then just hook up the coax's to the right ports on you're switch.

also if you have the polarity right an still no signal from the H lnb, then by pass the multi switch an send to H lnb direct to receiver to check an see that is is working.

Thank you ACRadio. I have a very strong idea that i need to rotate the feed horn. I'm not there to look now. Also, is it possble to hook up the ku lnbs backwards, or will the screw possitions make that impossible, or does it even matter? I'm wondering if i did something goofy there as well?

Thank you all

The LNB's can only be installed one way because of the screw holes, but it's easy to see which way it goes because of the way the rectangular waveguides meet.

Thank you all

Yes you can mix up how the ku lnb's bolts to the wave guide, double check that the wave guide in the lnb matches the wave guide of the ortho feed throat.

also another thing, is you need to have the ku wave guide set to the same polarity as the c-band, for when you tighten up the set screw in the ortho feed for the ku-feed throat, just line them up, you can use a square or a level or angle finder for this.

bullseye feed horn

I had a chance to play around with it last night and i rotated it as discribed in previous post. It appears that both the horizonal and vertical c-band LNBS are workiing because i can get even and odd channels but not at same time. I rotated it as discribed and i was getting horizonal channels (galaxy 15), but not the veritical channels. I then rotated slighly more (about 10-20 degrees) and then i got the vertical channels, but so far not both at the same time?
I didnt even bother with the ku. I figured lets try getting the easier c band working first. I did not try any of the other things mentioned. I will continue to play with it.

bullseye feedhorn

Both horizontal/veritical c-band lnbs appear to be working, but i just cant get them to work together. I rotate the horn and get all horizontal channels working great, then i rotate it a little, each time checking it, but when the vertical channels are working then the horizonal channels stop. I tried what was suggested, but the same old same old.

Does anyone have any ideas whats going on. I guess i can start trying different depths (i.e. how far the horn is sitting in the flange). Would that make any difference. Does anyone know of a post/thread that DETAILS installing a bullseye feed horn. I'll researching now.

Thank you

What kind of switch are you using and how is it wired? It might be useful to hard wire the H LNB to receiver, get that tweaked for best quality and then hard wire the V LNB to your receiver. If you do the latter, tell you receiver it's H only so you get the full 18V that the LNB may be expecting. I don't have a Bullseye, but a fairly similar ADL dual ortho. In my case I had to move the feed a bit closer to the dish than a corotor for the best reception.

Does anyone have any ideas whats going on. I guess i can start trying different depths (i.e. how far the horn is sitting in the flange). Would that make any difference. Does anyone know of a post/thread that DETAILS installing a bullseye feed horn. I'll researching now.

Thank you

It has to be in you're wiring or you're multi-switch or both how you have them hook to the multi switch, the V-lnb needs to go to the V-port on multi-switch an the H lnb needs to go the H-port on the multi-switch, then do the same for the Ku lnb's but put them on the 22khz ports of you're multi-switch.

Now you're different depts that you are saying is a BIG no no, that is you're F/D ratio an you will be defetting the gain of a ortho when you start change it from what you're dish requires, all dishes have a different F/D ratio an this is very important when the tunning or the set up of a dish, you need to set the F/D an never ever change it. if you need to move the feed in or out you need to do it with the feed legs not by changing the dept in the scalar, that is if you want a very well tuned dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)