bunch of questions on adding new DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mathey

Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I currently have a setup consisting of a 3x4 multi-switch (two lines coming from dish) one line goes to a SD receiver, one line goes to a SD receiver and two lines go to a R10 SD/DVR.

I want to add a second SD/DVR. This DVR will go in place of one of the SD receivers and I want to move the SD receiver to another room.

my questions are:

1. I need a new multi-switch...something like a 3x8...I see these cheep on Ebay, but are these any good? Line runs are not long, and no HD. Is it the old "you get what you pay for"?

2. I also see used R10 receivers for pretty reasonable prices on Ebay...are there issues with getting these activated? Is this a bad approach? I've been very pleased with my current R10 DVR. I guess either way I get my contract extended 2 years?

3. DTV wants $99 for the leased SD-DVR, plus shipping and handling ($20)...install is free but the relocating the other receiver is $100. I can do the entire install myself easily. I'm thinking maybe to have them do the SD-DVR install and then they will give me a new multi-switch (won't they? for free?) and then I can do the relocated receiver myself at a later date, utilizing a free port on the multi-switch (or will they give me a 3x6 and not a 3x8 switch?)

thanks for the help!

I would get the $99 lease from D*. They will run the wires and upgrade the dish/multiswitch for free (if necessary).

If you want the dvrs in a different room afterwards, you can switch them. Just unplug the wires and flip them.

If you want a new wire ran to a different room, the installer may do it free if you ask nice, or for a small fee- certainely not $100.

Talk to the installer direct about that when he arrives at your house, the call center has flat rate for anything.

good grief...now I call back to place the order and there's now a $99 installation fee to run a second line for the DVR (that is replacing the standard receiver)...is this a normal thing or should I try another call to get a different CSR?

if that is the case, then I'm back to doing it myself... unless I'll need a new dish???...I have a Phase I dual LNB dish

and back to my original questions about the multi-switches and R10's on Ebay...

Last edited:
good grief...now I call back to place the order and there's now a $99 installation fee to run a second line for the DVR (that is replacing the standard receiver)...is this a normal thing or should I try another call to get a different CSR?

if that is the case, then I'm back to doing it myself... unless I'll need a new dish???...I have a Phase I dual LNB dish

and back to my original questions about the multi-switches and R10's on Ebay...

Do you realize that you will not get any of the NEW channels (on MPEG4 format) with the set up your talking about ?

Jimbo

what channels might they be? If they are just HD channels, I don't own any HD tv's (and probably won't anytime soon :-( )

now I'm thinking of trying to get a free hd-dvr upgrade on my R10 (apparently YMMV on this deal)...that will get me a new dish, and I can move the R10 to the other room...I will have all the cables run ahead of time, so the installation should be free.

sheesh, this is all so confusing when you only deal with this every few years!

what channels might they be? If they are just HD channels, I don't own any HD tv's (and probably won't anytime soon :-( )

now I'm thinking of trying to get a free hd-dvr upgrade on my R10 (apparently YMMV on this deal)...that will get me a new dish, and I can move the R10 to the other room...I will have all the cables run ahead of time, so the installation should be free.

sheesh, this is all so confusing when you only deal with this every few years!

Oh well, you'll get at the very least, till the end of this year with that equipment, maybe the end of next year, but I doubt that.

Jimbo

well...I found an email from D stating i was eligible for a free HD upgrade...so I called...they are offering an HR21 to replace my HR10, and new 5 LNB dish and free installation...only paying $20 for S&H...so i guess I'll do that...I'll do all the wiring for the new room before the installer gets here so he won't grumble about the box switch ( i get to keep the existing R10 box, which goes in a new room)

sound like a plan?

well...I found an email from D stating i was eligible for a free HD upgrade...so I called...they are offering an HR21 to replace my HR10, and new 5 LNB dish and free installation...only paying $20 for S&H...so i guess I'll do that...I'll do all the wiring for the new room before the installer gets here so he won't grumble about the box switch ( i get to keep the existing R10 box, which goes in a new room)

sound like a plan?
Are you confused with the numbering system? A R10 is the last TiVo powered DVR that D* sold a HR21 is a DVR HDTV receiver, that in an earlier post you said you don't need. When did your SD DVR become a HR10-250 HD DVR?:):):)

see how confused I am? :confused:

my current DVR is a R10 :up

even though I don't need HD (yet), it's cheaper to get the free upgraded HD-DVR and free installation, and move the old R10 to the new room, which was the goal all along - "to get a second DVR". in addition, I'll get a new dish, and a new multi-switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts