But Its Not In HD!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fred555

Pub Member
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 18, 2014
77W
I always get a kick out of the posts where someone, getting a channel for free, complains that its not in HD.
I can only surmise these people were not alive in the 60's 70's or even the 80's.
Let me just say, be glad you get a steady picture. There used to be a phenomenon called snow and the dreaded vertical roll.

For those yungin's, let me tell you the story of what TV used to be like, and be glad you get some sort of steady
reliable picture and quit your complaining.:biggrin

Back in the oldin' days there where no remote controls. You actually had to get up and walk to the TV,
yes can you believe it, get up and walk! There was a knob that you had to physically turn to change channels.
If you were lucky the knob was still intact. It was not uncommon in the old days to have a set of pliers handy because usually the plastic tuning knobs broke at some point, usually in a fight between siblings over Woody Woodpecker vs Felix the Cat. (Don't know who these guys are, look it up.)

They used to make TVs in America too. Hard to believe, I'm not fibbing. But that's a whole other story of why we don't make things here anymore.

Ok so you had to get up walk to the TV, use the pliers to get a good grip on the nub that once was the tuning knob.
Congratulations you have just changed the channel.

Wait, you cant sit down yet. Next there was a ritual called tuning in the rabbit ears.

This ritual usually consisted of standing on one leg or another, holding your free hand over your head in random positions while moving two antennae in all sorts of gyrations until a picture appeared. Great, a picture, go ahead and sit.

Not so fast, as soon as you sat, the picture disappeared! If you were lucky, two or three more trips to the TV, a few more gyrations, and if you held your mouth right, you got some sort of viewable picture.

I say viewable, that's where the phenomenon called snow mentioned earlier comes into play. If you could make out vague outlines of actors through the staticy haze, you called it good and went on watching the show.

But if someone moved around upstairs or an airplane flew overhead, no more beautiful fuzzy snowy picture to watch.

Far too often your beautiful snowy fuzzy picture was interrupted by the dreaded VERTICAL ROLL! Oh NO!
Curing this problem usually meant getting a flashlight out and going behind the TV. If you were lucky you had a model
where the vertical hold control stuck out of the back of the set and was "easily" accessible.
If you were not so lucky you had a set of non conductive tools designed especially for this task handy.

Non conductive because you had to stick them into a little hole in the back of the TV and hope you hit the potentiometer dead on with the blade of the tool in the correct position. If you used a conductive tool for this, death was a possible outcome. TV's used to have 12,000 volts inside.
Yes besides the pliers, there was a whole other set of tools needed just to watch TV, and the risk of possible death.

Darn, you saw that episode of The Flying Nun already. Shucks, you now have to get up and repeat the whole process over again for the next channel.

Your getting free TV, sit down, click your remote and be happy.:)

Last edited:
2767638386_d8efc6fb1f.jpg

...sorry, first thing I thought of. :biggrin

I remember having the pair of pliers quite well, and it was an old tube set. So when one of the tubes would start to go bad and one of the elements would sag and short, I had to smack the side of the TV to jar it free. Of course I didn't know that was what was going on at the time. When I was 6-7 and up early for Saturday morning cartoons. Mom and Dad would not get up yet, so I figured out at an early age to smack the side of the set.
I remember my father well yelling down the hall, "Don't hit it so hard". Notice he didn't say not to hit it at all, cause I had learned this from watching him. He knew this was the solution, but not seeing what was going on he would think I was hitting it too hard. I remember thinking to myself, you hit it harder than that Dad.

I remember having the pair of pliers quite well, and it was an old tube set. So when one of the tubes would start to go bad and one of the elements would sag and short, I had to smack the side of the TV to jar it free. Of course I didn't know that was what was going on at the time. When I was 6-7 and up early for Saturday morning cartoons. Mom and Dad would not get up yet, so I figured out at an early age to smack the side of the set.
I remember my father well yelling down the hall, "Don't hit it so hard". Notice he didn't say not to hit it at all, cause I had learned this from watching him. He knew this was the solution, but not seeing what was going on he would think I was hitting it too hard. I remember thinking to myself, you hit it harder than that Dad.

Do you remember taking all the tubes out of the set, going down to the local drug store and putting every last one of them on the giant tube tester machine? It had what seemed like a hundred different sockets on it and different leads to hook to the top.

Once you found the bad tube, the pharmacist would give you a new one from behind the counter.

Yeah sure do, I was fascinated by that thing. Now I own one, not that big, it is a portable version.

Reactions: fred555
And if things got really bad with the picture I remember my dad took the back off the TV, pulled the tubes, and took them down to the local store and plugged them into the 'tube tester'. Usually it would identify the offending tube, and he would find a replacement. Come home, replace the tubes and we are watching TV again!

I like the way he believed in being self-sufficient and fixing your own things. He is an auto mechanic (now retired).

If you go to Hamfests or even look around on eBay or places like that you can find tube checkers at a decent price.
The low cost ones are good for checking receiving tubes and small power tubes, such at 6L6 etc.
If you get one for testing transmitting tubes, forget it they used to be very high, for one they were not as many made.
Usually the testing was done right there at the transmitter.

I still have crates filled with various vacuum tubes from the 1960s era. As a kid I learned to fix radios and TVs for extra money,

I used to have a tester like the one pictured here from my Grandfather. I have moved several times over the decades and I'm not quite sure what became of it.
Tube tester.jpg

I always get a kick out of the posts where someone, getting a channel for free, complains that its not in HD.
I can only surmise these people were not alive in the 60's 70's or even the 80's.

let me add things you forgot:

1: 2 or 3 feet long rabbit ears on top of the TV...usually with the foil tips
2:: Black and White TV sets
3: The old Indian Chief sign when channels weren't broadcasting
4: National Anthem when channels went back on-air.
5- All networks had cartoons on Saturday morning
6- Only had 10 channels
7- CBS After School Specials
8- NBC Sunday Night TV Movie
9: Boxing events were televised: What is PPV?
10: TVs came with build in shelves

6-22-2015 12-46-17 PM.png

Attachments

• 6-22-2015 12-46-17 PM.png
    6-22-2015 12-46-17 PM.png
    119 KB · Views: 211
I have one to add: Every time you changed the channel, you also had to fiddle with the darn fine tuner to get that particular channel half-way decent enough to watch.Up and down several times if the station was distant.I remember putting a kitchen chair right at the tv to fine tune every few minutes so Pop could watch a ballgame.That was the 'kids' job.(Maybe that's why I always hated baseball?)

We finally hit the big time when Pop bought a Curtis Mathis (I think) which had individual tuners for each channel.It even had a remote that would work if you held it just right and was within about 8 feet. Color too! Woohoooo...the good old days!

3 -
tech_tv_test_patern-gif.107678

4- Off air also included Taps after the National Anthem
6 - I only had "The Big 3"
7,8 & 9 - Sundays was ABC's Wide World of Sports. NASCAR, INDY, Boxing, (The thriller in Manilla) and So much more. (dam thing turned into espn and ppv events)

Attachments

• Tech_tv_test_patern.gif
    Tech_tv_test_patern.gif
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,583
Last edited:
This is a terrific thread! :)

5 channels for a long time here, then channel 13 came on the air in the 1970's. So, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 11 was all there was for most of my youth. Then color TV, then a console color TV, then cable and about 8-9 more channels and no more antenna on the roof!

Do you remember taking all the tubes out of the set, going down to the local drug store and putting every last one of them on the giant tube tester machine? It had what seemed like a hundred different sockets on it and different leads to hook to the top.

Once you found the bad tube, the pharmacist would give you a new one from behind the counter.

Sure do! The stores around here had "U TEST M" brand tube testers. I have my OWN tube tester now! It's a B&K 747. Probably the last tester manufactured before transistors took over. The B&K 747 was made in Chicago by people that could not solder. Obviously, no quality control staff at the factory either. Had to resolder the entire unit to get it operating reliably. One circuit board, the rest is all point-to-point wiring!

B-k-747B-tube-tester-professional-calibration-service-partpix-1.jpg

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/847572-bampk-747-tube-tester.jpg

Reactions: KE4EST and fred555
Also don't forget the channel that no matter what you could never get the video on. You could only get sound and it was full of static.

Back when we first got cable, the only pay channel on cable was HBO...I had a 13" portable tube TV on my bookshelf and HBO was to be had if I turned it to channel 2 and then turned the fine tuning knob about 2 turns to the right. The picture was still rather fuzzy and the audio wasn't 100% clear, but you could hear it. I watch many, many movies in my youth before that TV finally died...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)