BUT WILL IT WORK?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
just download the software posted above into the box. That overrides the old firmware

and yes just a 9 pin serial cable...

Your going to need a Windoze based PC with a working serial port to use the loader SW. If you didnt get a serial cable w/the box it seems like the 6000 uses a straight RS232 cable as opposed to a null modem type. My Coolsat and the Viewsat use different cables. I dont remember which is which I have them marked. Before you overwrite the installed [suspected hackware] FW, save a backup [to your hd]. Two reasons. If for some reason you have a problem during transfer, or corrupted file etc, you still have a working copy of a boot capable flash [firmware. Corupted flashes/poor com links have turned many boxes into dooorstops due to trashing the uP's boot sector]. The flash is checksummed, but it is not checked until it is decompressed at [in] the box[during the installation process], which of course it too late. Once you have established your box will boot and function as designed [running on OEM factory FW flash], delete,wipe, whatever, the original [hackware] FW [backup copy saved to your hd] at your heart's content.
Now, this is the really helpful feature [of a serial interface to the flash memory], especially for someone just breaking ground in FTA. There is a binary you can read from and write to the box [using the same loader program] with an extention of *.ndf that contains the sat configuration data and the transponder + station [channel] data.........and it so happens there is a app called Channel Master that allows you to read, configure, add, delete and edit this info. I do C & Ku so I keep a full complement of the sat listings from 30W on, but you may find it helpful to clear out some of the clutter. BTW, keep the Echo circular birds, 82,91,110 and 119. Invaluable when setting the arc because cir is a lot more forgiving [and stronger] when laying out arc reference points [should you decide to set up a motorized system in the future].
While blindscanning is the ultimate means of building this database, using this app [Channel Master] for initial configuration via a Win32 based GUI is far easier than peforming the same task via the remote & menu system.
I'm missing something here, is the DW a circular or linear mode LNB? The 'bread-n-butter' DN channels are a circular, AFAIK anyway. For real FTA, not the patched eye guys variant, you will need to be recieving in linear mode aka horizontal and vertical, not left or right handed. Guessing you know that, but still not following how you got a cir DN sig using a linear LNB.
BTW I saw a bumper sticker a while back, I loved it.....Cats, the OTHER white meat. Tell that to kitty when it wants to be your buddy again.........
Clairification EDITS in RED - maybe it will help a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the support and replies. Ice - thanks for the files, I couldn't find them anywhere. I've downloaded them (but not even unzipped them yet). Plan on working on this again tomorrow. Did get back in time to do a little scrounge run in the shed - found another I/O PC card with a serial port, so that needs to be installed on my desktop machine in the morning before I can look at updating the dog or unhacking the box. Also found a serial to serial cable! Sweet - still on track to use just free and scrounged parts for the project.

Melgarga - I need to reread your post a few more times to make sure I understand all of your advise. My PC OS is XL pro, so platform should not be an issue. Will tackle it fresh in the morning.

Plan for tomorrow:
- Swap out the PC I/O cards
- Update the Birdog files to include the 123 bird
- Reread Melgarga's post until I understand it all
- Unhack and square away the Coolsat box
- Realign the evolving dishborg to nail the 123 bird
- Report complete success tomorrow night!
- Upload pictures of my LOS and the completed project in it's temporary state.

All you gotta do is follow icebergs instructions, load that factory file, do a Factory Default with your remote after its loaded, and you can start with a clean box.

LOL.
".........and the completed project in it's temporary state."
Seems ALL of my projects are completed in a temporary state......hehehe
I prefer the term "Proof of Concept". My other brother Darrell says it sounds more edumacated.
Will chat w/you more when you update..........ALSO remember the #1 rule in this hobby as with all others, dont tick off the bosslady due to excessive playtime. When mama ain't happy, nobody is happy! That is a universal truth.

Good luck with your project, Mike. I was given a white Direcway dish today, that's a nice heavy duty mount on those things. :)

Yea, the DW is heavy! You can pull the transmitter off of the LNB arm as a unit, along with the tube that leads up to the LNB assembly. That will reduce some of the weight, but will leave a "hole" into the LNB guts - have mine covered with duct tape for now, but will need to fashion a cover to keep the salt air out of it.

Finished the I/O card swap and updated the dog so far today. Thought I'd post the pics of my temporary set-up as well as the lousy LOS I'm working with - this shows the LOS on the 110 bird.

Attachments

• DSC00177.JPG
    DSC00177.JPG
    721.7 KB · Views: 210
Wow, that's some serious LOS!!! :eek:

Thanks for the pic, my mount is different than yours, it is even heavier, I'll post a pic when I get my camera cured. Sounds like you are making progress.....:cool:

Was making good progress - operative word is WAS.

Decided to do things a little out of order. Updated the files in the Birdog to include the 123 bird. Did a sat alignment with the dog - no problem - good S - but low Q (and couldn't get the Q up). Decided to hook up the CS with a little portable TV (again, from the shed) and just do the fine tune on screen.

Dithered left, right, up, down as well as some + or - skew from my presets. Nada improvement. Have the LNB set to universal, at 9.75 - 10.75.

Interesting, the CS selection menu shows 123 as G10R (wasn't that galaxy 10 before it was recommissioned as G18?). Anyway, no go on the Q.

I do really now think that it is a hacked box. Shows the following:

SW: NORW-VER1.78P
H/W: 2.10
BOOT: 2.10
CH: E007

Even with the hack software, shouldn't I be able to lock up on 123?

Have walked away from it for a little bit to contemplate my navel and try to think this through.

Any suggestions?

The signal on 123 is a little weak for me in New Mexico. You might have to pick a different satellite to watch or get a bigger dish. I'm thinking about motorizing a 1.0 or 1.2 meter dish for Ku and be done with it.

Dithered left, right, up, down as well as some + or - skew from my presets. Nada improvement. Have the LNB set to universal, at 9.75 - 10.75.

According to a page on this forum (I can't paste any links yet) it is likely to be a standard LNB with LO of 10750. Did you try standard or just universal?

Trying switching to a standard LNB setting and trying to lock one of the strong transponders. And if you search for those capital letters in the software version on google you'll see it is definitely not factory firmware.

The dish might have a standard lnb with a lo of 10750. Universals aren't used by many companies in North America since all sats with the exception of a few over the atlantic are only using the frequencies that a standard lnb pick up.

It definetly has hacker software in the box. It will still pick up any free channels even with that software. You can always flash it to the factory software as explained earlier in this thread.

Yes it was G10R until it was replaced a few months ago with G18.

yep if its a standard LNB which it is set it to

LNB SINGLE
and turn off diseqc, 22k and anything else except for LNB POWER

Uh, beautiful pic, if you'd move that dish out of the way it would be perfect!........lol j/k.
Still a few unknowns on your equipment. Have you checked [dvm etc] that you are in fact getting a 13/18v shift from the 6K when switching polarities? Are you sure they are not inverted? IOW, selecting V when the selected tp is actually H [check lyngsat to verify freq/polarity pairings]. Are you sure the DW unit can do both polarities or is it one of those that is fixed as a function of it's service? Physically rotating it 90 deg will compensate for that for testing purposes, but will limit your available channels. The only other thing I can come up with is bump the freq of the tp you are looking for up/dn by 1 mhz. 1 mhz out of 12000 or so isnt much of a variance in overall tolerance in terms of percent.
I've got some DW stuff, a couple of tcvr & modem assys, a round 4' fiberglass dish plus the 6'x6' flat roofmount setup [that holds the 7.5' Laser C bander quite nicely!] but I've never mess w/any of it.
I'm not sure if the f/d is correct for an Invacom QPH31 but if ya spring for one of those you should be happy with it. I realize that's not in the spirit of $0.00 invested, but if that's all you need to get a solid system up and running your still way ahead.
Keep us posted.

great pic

That would've been a nice wallpaper shot for my computer!
Hey that dish is exactly like one I have, yes its a standard linear lnbf, LO of 10750 and will do both polarities. Just skew the dish correctly for 123 and should be able to get it fine. Beautiful view there.

After actually looking at the subject of the pic it occured to me he set the skew as a cauculated value and it has yet to be verified as correct. It's is possible that tweaking the skew may net an improvement.
I'm with you on the wallpaper turbosat. Beautiful. Maybe our new comrade in arms Baja Mike will shoot a few custom shots for us.
Mike, looks like you got the sandy beach and all your neighbors to the south are cliffside.

All,

Thanks for the replies any yes, my "backyard" really sucks and I'm tired of the LOS problems :D.

Seriously, gave up late this afternoon and took mama out for dinner and cocktails to a little local place (guy who owns it is in my Tuesday night poker group). Very well fed & lubricated - I'm not going to address the replies tonight. Will review all and get back at it in the morning.

For those who asked, when I get this rig up I'll shoot you guys an artsy fartsy sunset wallpaper shot - without the dish in the way - or you want the dish in the sunset shadow? If the timing is right, might even catch a green flash (we see 2 or 3 average month).

Bedtime for this old pilot - more tomorrow.

Mike

(Bonus quiz - which one is/was Baja Mike?)

air generations.jpg

A hands on guy like yourself, I'd go with the P51 or the A10. I have to vote the A10 'cause if you flew the P51 in active duty, and are doing installs, building mount systems for 4' dishes, etc, your one tough ol bird.
A buddy told me that unless you were in a dive, continous fire from the A10's 30mm gatling could be seen in a loss of forward speed. That's one badboy tank shredder.

Last edited:
A hands on guy like yourself, I'd go with the P51 or the A10. I have to vote the A10 'cause if you flew the P51 in active duty, and are doing installs, building mount systems for 4' dishes, etc, your one tough ol bird.
A buddy told me that unless you were in a dive, continous fire from the A10's 30mm gatling could be seen in a loss of forward speed. That's one badboy tank shredder.

You get partial credit :devil: I drove the F-4 for a few years then transitioned to the A-10 in '77 when they started coming off the line. This is a shot of an air show exhibition we called "Generations", as in generations of aircraft.

Back to the dishborg - did "honey-do's" this morning around the house for the much better half, was judged to be a good boy, and now am being allowed to go out to play with my toy. Will report status later.

Mike

(I was the A-10 driver in the shot - my next to last flight)

THE DISHBORG LIVES!

Finally got the 123 bird up - 69 channels - most seem to be network locals which are really duplicates at this time of the evening.

I need to tweek the dish a bit yet (was losing my light) some are a little pixilated. Will get back to it on Monday (no work on Sunday here during the NFL season).

It IS possible to bring up an FTA set-up for $0.

I still need the clean the hacked box, but at least now I know it does work.

Thanks to all for your help and encouragement - could not have done it without you guys (and maybe gals - who knows).

Who wants what kind of shot for wallpaper?

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)