BUT WILL IT WORK?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes, a nice job with the perf'd flatbar. I've tried several different things for 'the bar' but never thought of that one.
Mike, looks like you are going to need to acquire another linear LNB or two. I remember a thread on surgery to a circular unit to make it usable in linear mode. I'll bet you have a stack of those DSS units in your treasure pile.

beating dead horse

The dish pix above are from the site of TheNetBuilder, a regular here.
He did a nice job.

However, I feel like I'm all alone here in flogging the deceased equine! - :eek:
I didn't think I was being subtle with my several posts above in this thread.

Your dish has a long focal length, a quality helpful for multiple close LNBs.
If you're not too far south out of the 125° bird's signal coverage area, you might add it for all the PBS stations.
The links I posted above will lead you by the hand to all the info ya need to get it.

Only thing I can think you might do first (after the weekend entertainment is over), would be to re-aim your dish as-is and see if you get a decent signal on 125° or not.
If you do, then it's time for some reading, grinding, and experimenting.
The results could be a two-LNB, fixed aimed, DirecWay dish with a healthy dose of wide-ranging English programming! - :up

Last edited:
Since 123 and 125 are only 2 degrees apart, would you think it would be possible to catch both sats on the old DW dish I'm using?

My logic is you can set 5 sats on the slimline - which is sort of the same dish shape - shouldn't I be able to tune the old DW to get these 2 since they are so close?

according to Mike Kohl who did try it, the answer is probably not

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1552127-post101.html

mikekohl said:
No joy in sunny Baja California for potential PBS viewers. AMC-21 drops off very rapidly south of the border, and when attempting to find it on a 2.4 meter offset in Cabo San Lucas last week at a friend's house, it could not be done. A check of a footprint map available a day or two after I got there confirmed that the southern top of Baja California Sur might be lucky to see a +30 dBw signal.
Strong signals on other Ku-band satellites, with useable MPEG-2 carriers found on a 1 meter Primestar dish on 129, 127, 123, 121, 116.8, 113, 111.1, 107.3, 105, 101, 97, 95 and 89 West

I'm about 900 miles north of Cabo, so I'm going to try to hit 125 (need to update the Birdog's files). I thought that the pics I posted earlier of the old DW dish gone wild was interesting - wasn't trying to steal anyone's thunder. I've thought all along that I would need to trash my DW experimental dish and move on if I decided to pursue - after looking at those pics, I'm not so sure.

Need to do a ton of reasearch on focal lengths, etc before I'd try a mod like that - and I really don't like the look of the strapping holding the wing LNB's. Not nearly sturdy enough for my taste or for the winds we see here on occasion.

I've got a ton (OK, maybe only 30) of old DTV and DW LNB's - can any of them be modified for expansion or are they all trash for this project?

The DBS (direct broadcast satellite service) LNBs are tuned to the high end of the Ku band, and are circular.
(LO = 11250)
The FSS part of the Ku band is a little lower frequency, and where all the lower power linear birds are located.
(LO = 10750)

So, sure there's a use for some of your Dish or DirecTV LNBs, but mostly little more than watching NASA (or Angel One) on Dish's 119° bird, where they are not scrambled.

Dish Network had a SuperDish and DirecTV had an International dish, both of which were larger oval dishes, and had a linear LNB on them.
So, if there is a question, just ask. We can help you recycle old stuff.
And I'm not one for tossing it out. There's always someone who can use it.

You can make a high band lnb into a lower band lnb by filing the local oscillator down a little rescaning channels to see how much the frequency changed and repeating till you get close to desired frequency. I know how to change from linear to circular but how do you go the opposite way? That might be a project for me to try.

according to Mike Kohl who did try it, the answer is probably not

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1552127-post101.html
Well, maybe they are still trying to position it, because in this satnews tidbit -
w-w-w.satnews.com/cgi-bin/story.cgi?number=1964662148
the graphic appears to be showing all of Central, part of South, and most of North America plus Hawaii. It is reduced size in the writeup. Open it in a new page for more resolution.
The SES Americom maps are significantly different -
w-w-w.ses-americom.com/americom_2008/siteSections/technical/coverageareas/kuband/amc21/index.php
but shows most of Baja in 41 or higher db contours. Combine the two and it looks like a big part of western Central America is outside the coverage.
These maps - w-w-w.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=5767
seem to concur with SES's reported footprint.
Where are you Mike, and where is Cabo on this map? I dont know my Mexican geography very well, except for maybe Nuevo Laredo.....but I digress..........
EDIT - The satbeams maps are Googlebased and are zoomable to passed town/road level. You guys with broadband can have at it.

Last edited:
"Where are you Mike, and where is Cabo on this map? I dont know my Mexican geography very well, except for maybe Nuevo Laredo.....but I digress.........."

Mel: Cabo is located at the extreme southern end of the tip of Baja. I'm located about 25 miles south of the US border, on the western coast of Baja. On the map, I'm 1/4 of the way between Tijuana and Ensinada.

LAT 32.283 LONG -117.050 is real close.

Anole: Thanks for the reminder - I have an large oval old international dish (with LNB) in the parts pile by the shed. Now that I know the LNB is linear - I know I can play with it!

Saw a huge old BUD (had to by 8' mesh) sitting behind a little cantina this afternoon. Know the owner ..... hmmmm..... C band ........ hmmmmm. May have to stop by there for a cold one.

Spotted ya a C bander did ya now.........'round these parts we call that 'Dishhunting'
UH HUH!.................bitten. told ya!...............lol
I can see mama's going to be watching them Bears in HD by this time next month......................matter of fact, just put her on the line, I think we all need to fill her in on all the stuff you are going to need to be rounding up....................lol

Well by the map you should be good to go. Go for it!

Naa, 8ft is just full growed. 10ft is a big un' and a 12 footer is huge. I think some of the guys on here are sporting 12 ft Paraclipse birdcatchers. I bet they are real popular with their neighbors..........lol
If it's just a 7 & 1/2 footer that'll work too. If that dont catch it, you prolly dont need to see it anyway.

You could always put that C Bander up for the DSR410 system sports package you will be subbing to pretty soon......Ahh yes, the plot thickens.........

Spotted ya a C bander did ya now.........'round these parts we call that 'Dishhunting'
UH HUH!.................bitten. told ya!...............lol
I can see mama's going to be watching them Bears in HD by this time next month......................matter of fact, just put her on the line, I think we all need to fill her in on all the stuff you are going to need to be rounding up....................lol

Well by the map you should be good to go. Go for it!

Naa, 8ft is just full growed. 10ft is a big un' and a 12 footer is huge. I think some of the guys on here are sporting 12 ft Paraclipse birdcatchers. I bet they are real popular with their neighbors..........lol
If it's just a 7 & 1/2 footer that'll work too. If that dont catch it, you prolly dont need to see it anyway.

Actually, my biggest problem would be where to put it - sure ain't interested in spoiling the view from my sucky "back yard".

Was really thinking of playing around with it there - seeing if I could get it up where it is, then talking him into buying a box (old workable box donations accepted) for the cantina. He's a really decent guy with a great family and I'm sure he could use the extra business it might bring into his place.

Looks like it's been there for awhile though - could just be trash. Good excuse to stop there for a cold one though. LNB cover on that beast is huge!

back to the dead horse . . .

I'm located about 25 miles south of the US border, on the western coast of Baja.
On the map, I'm 1/4 of the way between Tijuana and Ensinada.
LAT 32.283 LONG -117.050 is real close.
No joy in sunny Baja California for potential PBS viewers.
AMC-21 drops off very rapidly south of the border, and when attempting to find it on a 2.4 meter offset in Cabo San Lucas last week at a friend's house, it could not be done.
This is why I said you should give the 125° bird a try from where you are, and with your current equipment.
Mike's a pro at this, but he was a lot further south from your location.

As for the cantina owner, there's a lot of Spanish language programming on Ku.
You might set him up with a little dish 'n receiver on just a single satellite, and make his day!

PICS FOR ANOLE

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but apparently you can't attach pics to PM's (what's up with that anyway?) Anole is working with a similar dish and needed LNB pics - here they are.

The holes about 1/2 way up the LNB arm are for the transmitter - LNB mounting assembly is press fit onto the end of the arm. If the bracket is empty, someone "harvested" the LNB. Mounting a replacement on the transmitter mounting holes will change the focal length by a bunch - I think you would be better off fashioning a mount at the end of the arm.

Here are your pics - let me know if you need more detail.

Mike

Attachments

• DSC00239.JPG
    DSC00239.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC00240.JPG
    DSC00240.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC00241.JPG
    DSC00241.JPG
    849.7 KB · Views: 156
all Direcway not created equal

Mike -
Thanks so much for the pictures.!. - :cool:
Your oval feedhorn is nothing like my rectangular one!
I'll try to post a picture tomorrow, if I can find my real camera.
Don't think the cell phone will do it justice. ;)

I have the lower LNB support casting that plugs into the end of the LNB arm.
Also have the cast bridge clamp that holds the LNB feedhorn in place, with two screws from the top.
Looks just like yours up to that point.

I believe in your PM, you commented that you could get PBS on 125° with the Direcway.
I was pretty sure you would, once you mentioned your location at only 25 miles past the border! - :up

Still think you could do 123°/125° on that dish.
I'm pretty sure I can in LA, and you being further south, should be just that much easier.

Well, now that it's been a few months, what have you done with free FTA in Mexico? :)
Which bird or birds are your favorites?
Did you ever drag that old DirecTV International dish out and fire it up on an additional bird?
I've seen 1 meter round dishes down there marked with the DirecTV logo... go find some of those! - :up - woo hoo!
Did you get the BUD you mentioned?
And what did you set up for your local bar man? :D

Last edited:
Mike -
Thanks so much for the pictures.!. - :cool:
Your oval feedhorn is nothing like my rectangular one!
I'll try to post a picture tomorrow, if I can find my real camera.
Don't think the cell phone will do it justice. ;)

I have the lower LNB support casting that plugs into the end of the LNB arm.
Also have the cast bridge clamp that holds the LNB feedhorn in place, with two screws from the top.
Looks just like yours up to that point.

I believe in your PM, you commented that you could get PBS on 125° with the Direcway.
I was pretty sure you would, once you mentioned your location at only 25 miles past the border! - :up

Still think you could do 123°/125° on that dish.
I'm pretty sure I can in LA, and you being further south, should be just that much easier.

Well, now that it's been a few months, what have you done with free FTA in Mexico? :)
Which bird or birds are your favorites?
Did you ever drag that old DirecTV International dish out and fire it up on an additional bird?
I've seen 1 meter round dishes down there marked with the DirecTV logo... go find some of those! - :up - woo hoo!
Did you get the BUD you mentioned?
And what did you set up for your local bar man? :D

123 has been my favorite - and I don't think there would be a problem at all pulling in 123 & 125 with a dual LNB setup.

There are at least 2 different LNB styles on these old DW/HN dishes, one is oval and the other is rectangular - but they are both linear.

The old International dish now lives at an orphanage in the hills outside Rosarito. Was able to score a old FTA box that was "eye patched" years ago, restored the firmware - scrounged an old TV & put the whole deal up for the kids just before Christmas. Man, those old international dished are a real SOB to peak! Guy I scored the hacked box from is trying to round up more for me, have another orphanage in Primo Tapia that I'd like to do.

Still working on the BUD. Did get it & moved it - but the LNB and support arms are gone - looking for another for parts to eventually make 1 whole out of 2 (or maybe even 3). Have a few likely candidates, but can't seem to catch folks home yet.

Yea, those old 1 meters are all over down here - I need to get off my butt and go get 'em.

more power to ya!

123 has been my favorite - and I don't think there would be a problem at all pulling in 123 & 125 with a dual LNB setup.
There are at least 2 different LNB styles on these old DW/HN dishes, one is oval and the other is rectangular - but they are both linear.
I just did some seat of the pants calculations.
For your Lat/Long, on the DirecWay dish, two LNBs around 1¾" apart might get those two birds.
And, since that's about the width of my rectangular feedhorn (and assuming the actual LNB is no wider), you might have a winner, there.
I'd skew the dish to half way between (maybe 10.8°) and then shim between the feedhorns to look for the second bird.
Shouldn't need to go beyond 2 inches
The old International dish now lives at an orphanage in the hills outside Rosarito. Was able to score a old FTA box that was "eye patched" years ago, restored the firmware - scrounged an old TV & put the whole deal up for the kids just before Christmas. Man, those old international dished are a real SOB to peak! Guy I scored the hacked box from is trying to round up more for me, have another orphanage in Primo Tapia that I'd like to do.
SatelliteAV currently has a deal on some generic receivers a 5/$100.
They don't do blind scan, but for dedicated uses, it shouldn't matter.

Sounds like you can scrounge dishes.
I'd offer some LNBs to the project, but ya seem to have that covered, as well.
Let me know, though.
Still working on the BUD. Did get it & moved it - but the LNB and support arms are gone - looking for another for parts to eventually make 1 whole out of 2 (or maybe even 3). Have a few likely candidates, but can't seem to catch folks home yet.
Start a thread in the BUD section, and post some pictures.
The guys can identify it, and discuss its condition with ya.
If you are sort of handy, ya might even make your own support arms from electrical conduit, or aluminum tubing.
The first is cheap, but I doubt we're talking about breaking the bank, here. ;)
Plus, I have some ideas, and pictures to share, from designs I've seen (and built).
Yea, those old 1 meters are all over down here - I need to get off my butt and go get 'em.
Those would be sweet. (save me one!)
However, it looks like they use a circular LNB, which mounts directly to the end of the LNB arm.
There used to be FTA LNBs like that available inexpensively, but they seem to have fallen out of favor.
Think they used to be in the $15..$22 range.

Today, I'd use a regular FTA LNB which you grab by its neck.
Mounting one of those onto the DirecTV dish's arm is trivial, and maybe $2 in parts.
Plus, I imagine the DirecTV dish doesn't skew, so you can twist the LNB in this bracket!

Start here for some pictures, and then scroll down a few posts to get details on the simple bracket.
It should work just exactly as-is on those 1m DirecTV dishes.

"If you are sort of handy, ya might even make your own support arms from electrical conduit, or aluminum tubing.
The first is cheap, but I doubt we're talking about breaking the bank, here. ;)"

I came up with 1 13/16 spacing - but your calcs are probably better than mine. It's on the "to do" list.

Actually started the BUD frame fabrication late this afternoon since the Fball game was a laugher. Going to try thick wall PVC due to the salt air & rust issue here. Roughed out the frame in about 1/2 hour & will drag it down there tomorrow for final fit.

At this point, rough frame looks like an old bong on steroids!

Thanks for the lead on the generic receivers. If it works out, can recover the old "eye patched" ones for $0 - just need to invest the time to restore to factory firmware - cob together a stationary int'l dish & plug in for the kids. Gotta tell ya, spent more time with the alignment of the int'l dish than I ever had with any other. Sensitive little buggers.

PM if you want to mess w/that old DW LNB I offered you. I'll be in La Jolla sometime next week.

rectangular feedhorn

Here are some overexposed flash shots of my feedhorn from both the front, and the back side where the LNB attaches.
Looking inside, I expected to see the feedhorn walls taper down to the round hole, but they don't.
That's what bothered me.

Attachments

• PICT4406crop1268x1352.jpg
    PICT4406crop1268x1352.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 122
  • PICT4404crop786x1076.jpg
    PICT4404crop786x1076.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 143
Here are some overexposed flash shots of my feedhorn from both the front, and the back side where the LNB attaches.
Looking inside, I expected to see the feedhorn walls taper down to the round hole, but they don't.
That's what bothered me.

I have one that looks exactly like that - except it still has the transmitter & piping installed.

You need to cover the hole in the back to make the LNB weather tight - I used a piece of hard plastic cut to size and attached with liquid nails. Added a little duct tape to the seams as extra protection.

With that done, that puppy looks good to go - although I'd try a bird stronger than 123 just to make sure that the LNB works. Even with the Birdog, 123 is a tough one to find (at least it was for me :))

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)