Buy a cheapo Lnb?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tim Godsil

On Vacation
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
The cheapest LNB on sadoun.com is 29.99! I have seen some on ebay for $12 shipped and they even have a lower noise figure (0.02db) then they pricey one! Has anyone had good luck with these, or are they junk?

most LNB's are about the same. Some "claim" a low db number (.3, .2) but I've used an old ExpressVu LNB (when they were Linear years ago) that is a .8 and it works almost as good as the .4 or even .3 I have

Its the stability that counts. Sure you can get an el cheapo .3 (or as it claims) but stick that bugger in the heat or cold and it will start acting really crazy.

I have about 9 or 10 different types of LNB's and they all work in various capacities. Some of the ones on Ebay are good and some are J U N K with a capital J U N K ;)

Best to do some reading here and see the good (and bad) of some LNB's

So does that mean??

That I get one? If so do I keep it? Or do I have to ship it bacK?

Sorry Tim, you don't get a test sample as a couple of regular members have already contacted me about this.

But if you need one, you can order it online and you get to keep it. :)

how do you know that's bad unless you try it? As I mentioned before (if you actually read some of the responses) that my old ExpressVu (when they were linear) .7 or.8 works just as good as some that claim .4 or even .3

0.8 db noise factor is kinda high.

I won't be surprised if it works just as well as other LNBs or better.

I don't think there is a strict standard to testing LNBs noise figures.

An example for LCDs: some manufacturers test response time by "black to white to black", and others test by "gray to white to gray", there is a difference.

Well I got mine in the mail yesterday...nice LNB just one issue

Sadoun lists it as a 40mm LNB...I knew from opening the box it wasn't. I want to say its a 50mm LNB so it wont fit on any standard LNB holder :(
looks identical to the old Starchoice flashlight LNB's

Unless I'm doing something wrong (highly doubt it). I tried to set it on a T90 holder and it wont fit

The cheapest LNB on sadoun.com is 29.99! I have seen some on ebay for $12 shipped and they even have a lower noise figure (0.02db) then they pricey one! Has anyone had good luck with these, or are they junk?

Talk to Brian at Satellite AV. He has the Geosat pro Bullet LNBF's for $20.00 still I think. I have 2 of them and they work great. It's best to spend a little bit more sometimes Don't always look for the cheapest stuff. I've been burned by going cheap on occasion.

Well I got mine in the mail yesterday...nice LNB just one issue

Sadoun lists it as a 40mm LNB...I knew from opening the box it wasn't. I want to say its a 50mm LNB so it wont fit on any standard LNB holder :(
looks identical to the old Starchoice flashlight LNB's

Unless I'm doing something wrong (highly doubt it). I tried to set it on a T90 holder and it wont fit

I have not received the LNB yet (I am on the West coast) , but luckily I have the larger holder for a CBand LNB :)

How about trying tie-wraps and duct tape :)

I have some cheap ROC brand ebay lnb's. pure junk. noise floor is through the roof even though they claim 0.5db and worst of all when port1 voltage switch's port2 mominarily looses signal then regains it. many irds dont take kindly to this and will drop the lock until you switch channels.

my mercury II puts up with it, my dreambox's and satlook wont require lock untill change channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)