Buying genie dvr on eBay should I shouldn't I !!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chance cannon

Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Tx
I'm currently with directv, just into a year. Still have a year left in my contract. I'm having to many conflicts with my hr24 dvr very annoying. I was browsing on eBay several genies on there. Have read online don't purchase a leased receiver directv won't activate. Anyway this one guy has a genie, says call him, he'll explain how he can get it activated and it will work. I call him tells me he works for directv activations or something , he says all receivers are leased from directv. Says its brand new in box, he buys them from directv and resells to make a little profit. Says when you purchase send your directv account number and name and he will activate for me, new card and all. I get receiver in mail, all I do is plug and go. Sounds almost to good to be true. Anyway if this did work I'd have to call an cancel my hr24 won't they say something, I'm not sure. And also won't I have to return my hr24 I'm sure it's leased. So guys shed some light do I need to stay away from this.

you need to find out the receiver id number and then call the access card department to find out if its leased or owned. somebody else here can give the direct phone number. never buy any dtv unit until you check first. you could be buying a unit that is flagged. not only will directv not activate, they might make you pay any past due on the other persons account. if they won't give you the RID, do not buy from them.

I would say stay away from this unless the guy can actually prove to you he works for Directv. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. The last thing you want happened to you is to fall for a scam. Honestly, there's no incentive to owning a genie anyway. The monthly fees are all the same and once a new receiver/DVR gets activated, your two year contract starts over.

I'm currently with directv, just into a year. Still have a year left in my contract. I'm having to many conflicts with my hr24 dvr very annoying. I was browsing on eBay several genies on there. Have read online don't purchase a leased receiver directv won't activate. Anyway this one guy has a genie, says call him, he'll explain how he can get it activated and it will work. I call him tells me he works for directv activations or something , he says all receivers are leased from directv. Says its brand new in box, he buys them from directv and resells to make a little profit. Says when you purchase send your directv account number and name and he will activate for me, new card and all. I get receiver in mail, all I do is plug and go. Sounds almost to good to be true. Anyway if this did work I'd have to call an cancel my hr24 won't they say something, I'm not sure. And also won't I have to return my hr24 I'm sure it's leased. So guys shed some light do I need to stay away from this.

Stay away. No 34's from my I understanding are "owned" as of yet. They're all leased, if he sells you a leased receiver directv won't activate it and instead require you to send it back. How much is he asking?

Well I asked for the rid # says he doesn't give it out for security reasons. He's already told me its leased. And to no incentive to owning a genie recording 5 at once, more storage that's what I want.

Stay away. No 34's from my I understanding are "owned" as of yet. They're all leased, if he sells you a leased receiver directv won't activate it and instead require you to send it back. How much is he asking?

i own mine. bought it from a former dtv employee.

I was going to call Dtv that was the next step, didn't know how far I would get with it. I'm sure they will sell me a genie, just didn't want to start over my 2 yrs but your saying if I purchased a new box it would anyway right.

I was going to call Dtv that was the next step, didn't know how far I would get with it. I'm sure they will sell me a genie, just didn't want to start over my 2 yrs but your saying if I purchased a new box it would anyway right.

right, if you do an upgrade, it will extend your contract 2 years.

Well I asked for the rid # says he doesn't give it out for security reasons.
RUN!!!!
RUN AWAY!!!
RUN LIKE MEXICAN WATER THROUGH A 1ST TIME TOURIST!!
RUN!!

There...I feel better
And to no incentive to owning a genie recording 5 at once, more storage that's what I want.
which is it?
earlier you said
I'm having to many conflicts with my hr24 dvr very annoying

if all you want is more storage get a hard drive then

Again call retentions...see what they can do for ya

Y'all have steered me in the right direction, I'm not getting scammed. Thanks for y'all's help guys much appreciated!!

I meant to type "retentions" instead :)
(thats what I get for trying to help a Directv customer while dealing with my dad on the phone who has dish)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts