Buying Joeys to add to Leased Hopper/Joey Architecture

rdinkel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Woodland Park, Colorado
Does anyone know if we will be able to buy "extra" Joeys to expand a leased system? For example, I intend to lease two Hoppers and either two or four Joeys to cover our six HD TVs. Could be more cost effective for me to not have to be paying an extra $14 each month for the two Joeys sitting idle most of the year in extra bedrooms. If past policies apply, I should be able to activate owned Joeys only when needed by just calling Dish CSR. But with leased units, they need to always be active.

I suppose anything is possible but I can't imagine them changing their view on customer owned equipment. The only suspense for me are the prices for the new boxes.

Turning it off (saving the $7per month) when company isn't visiting or the kids are away at college, mom moves in with your bother, etc. And turning it on when company shows up, the kids are home for the summer, mom moves back in with you, etc.

If you own it you may be able to deactivate it without having to returning it to Dish. Not sure on how they are going to handle the Joeys yet though.

Scherrman can speak for himself.

But if you lease a Joey it must be activated and earning Dish the $7.00 a month. If one of these leased units is deactivated you have 30 days to return it so it can go to somebody who will pay the $7.00. After that, you are billed the full retail price of the unit.

And if you are thinking of returning lease units each time you don't need it consider the shipping costs. Back and forth a few times a year and just paying $7 X 12 might end up being cheaper.

Did you mean if you "lease" a joey you may be able to .........

What I meant is that the benefit of owning equipment is the fact that you can deactivate it without having to return it to Dish. When you lease equipment it has to be returned to Dish.

Another benefit to owning equipment is to avoid contracts.

This could become an important consideration for many folks with TVs not used regularly. Under the current architecture, most of the extra bedroom TVs are just hooked up to coax fed from an active receiver via TV2 output. There was no extra monthly expense associated with using these TVs. But with the new Hopper/Joey architecture, each TV in the house is to be connected locally to its own H or J box--which requires an associated monthly fee.

True, but (according to PM from DIRT) you cannot pair added 40.0 remotes to a single Joey to enable controlling the Joey from multiple rooms.

Wow, that's really disappointing. That's exactly what I was planning to do. I guess plan "B" would be a "roving" Joey for various guest rooms, OR simply having OTA only in those rooms.

Bradtothebone said:
Wow, that's really disappointing. That's exactly what I was planning to do. I guess plan "B" would be a "roving" Joey for various guest rooms, OR simply having OTA only in those rooms.
Your saying that two house guests would share a Joey and each could change th

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)