Buying Joeys to add to Leased Hopper/Joey Architecture

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Bradtothebone said:
Wow, that's really disappointing. That's exactly what I was planning to do. I guess plan "B" would be a "roving" Joey for various guest rooms, OR simply having OTA only in those rooms.
Your saying that two house guests would share a Joey and each could change the channel? If that's the case I think they should play rock-paper-sissors to see who gets the remote. If I was your guest I'd want to either be I charge of the tuner or surrender control to folks in the other room.

And bottom line, I'm sure you could buy a second remote. And I bet when it cones to it, a second remote can be programmed to control the same Joey.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using SatelliteGuys

I currently have a 622 that I use for my 2 guest bedrooms. I keep it deactivated. If guests are coming I call and activate it for their visit. It would be nice if I could do the same with a couple joeys.

I currently have a 622 that I use for my 2 guest bedrooms. I keep it deactivated. If guests are coming I call and activate it for their visit. It would be nice if I could do the same with a couple joeys.

That is exactly what I have done the past few years. Have now sold the 622 and getting ready for the new architecture!

mike123abc said:
Same for me but I also activate it for camping trips with my trailer.

BTW, when it's activated is it connected to a phone line or internet? I bought a 612 just because at the time you had to have dual tuner receivers connected to a phone line. So maybe that's not true anymore?

I'm in the same boat -- we'd like to have a Joey in our guest bedroom but only pay when company is visiting, and a Joey in our sunroom which would be deactivated in the winter months (when we close off that room). A "roaming" Joey for the two rooms works for when company is visiting in the winter, but it'd be even nicer to be able to use both as needed. Hopefully Joey's wouldn't be priced terribly high.

Your saying that two house guests would share a Joey and each could change th

We have different "guest rooms" for our grandkids and for adult guests. They would be fed from different Joeys' modulators if that worked. It might still work; we'd just have to move the remote from the "Joey" room to the guest room. Inconvenient, but not a deal-breaker.

Brad

We have different "guest rooms" for our grandkids and for adult guests. They would be fed from different Joeys' modulators if that worked. It might still work; we'd just have to move the remote from the "Joey" room to the guest room. Inconvenient, but not a deal-breaker.
OK I finally get it. The 622 fed two TVS, one was TV1 and one wasTV2.

If this is the setup you want to replicate with two Joeys then it's done. Each Joey ships with its own remote so if each room has a Joey, each room has a remote. The only difference they don't say TV1 and TV2 on the bottom. No remote carrying between two Joeys. And you can activate each separately. Only paying more than your used to during periods when both rooms have guests and both Joeys are activated.

Does that sound OK? Does it make sense? Or am I still not seeing the problem?

OK I finally get it. The 622 fed two TVS, one was TV1 and one wasTV2.

If this is the setup you want to replicate with two Joeys then it's done. Each Joey ships with its own remote so if each room has a Joey, each room has a remote. The only difference they don't say TV1 and TV2 on the bottom. No remote carrying between two Joeys. And you can activate each separately. Only paying more than your used to during periods when both rooms have guests and both Joeys are activated.

Does that sound OK? Does it make sense? Or am I still not seeing the problem?

some of us had multiple TVs on TV2 (using a splitter) and then you could have multiple remotes. Yes, multiple TV2 viewers would have to watch the same thing, but for certain households this is an effective and cost-efficient way to serve >2 TVs, for the price of a single 622/722.

some of us had multiple TVs on TV2 (using a splitter) and then you could have multiple remotes. Yes, multiple TV2 viewers would have to watch the same thing, but for certain households this is an effective and cost-efficient way to serve >2 TVs, for the price of a single 622/722.

By far one of our most common setups. A dual tuner with TV2 split out to multiple TVs.

This is where I went wrong:

I read that as plural Joeys.

Sorry.

You read it right. I would have Joeys in, say, the den (upstairs) and the workout room (downstairs). The idea was to have the downstairs guest room on the workout room's Joey's modulator (since they wouldn't be used at the same time). Similarly, the den's joey's modulator would feed the upstairs guest room. As I said earlier, we'll just have to move the Joey remotes into the appropriate rooms when we have company. Not as convienent, but OK. I just don't want to have to pay $7 a month each for two extra Joeys that only get used once in awhile.

Wow, that's really disappointing. That's exactly what I was planning to do. I guess plan "B" would be a "roving" Joey for various guest rooms, OR simply having OTA only in those rooms.

Yeah, that is really disappointing. I was hoping to split the output from a Joey to feed our bedroom and kitchen TVs the way TV2 is from our 722 today (except to use a hdmi splitter) and have a remote in each location.

dreddick said:
Yeah, that is really disappointing. I was hoping to split the output from a Joey to feed our bedroom and kitchen TVs the way TV2 is from our 722 today (except to use a hdmi splitter) and have a remote in each location.

Well we don't have an official announcement of all the details yet, hopefully they will confirm or deny this rumor during the Retailer Chat on the 16th.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Bradtothebone said:
Just yesterday I saw a commercial from ATT (or Verizon) that introduced a wireless box that could be carried room to room just the way you wanted and does it in HD.

What about two remotes on the Hopper? Or is it the same as with the Joey?