Buying New Computer - Processor HELP!

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
OK, I am going to order a new Dell. I need some processor advice. I use the computer for web surfing, email, very little photoshop, and a few games. Nothing serious. So, should I get an AMD 64x 2 Dual Core 4400+, an Inte, Dual Core 1.8ghz or an Intel Core 2 duo 2.2ghz processor? I know nothing, except that my current computers both have Intel Celeron 1.8 ghz processors in them. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I'm not as up on processors as I should be, but I think in general, it would go Intel Dual Core 1.8 --> AMD 64x2 --> Core 2Duo as far as quality/performance. I know that the Core 2 is the top of the line and I'm pretty sure the 64x2's performed better than Intels first line of Dual Core stuff (that the 1.8 would be a part of). Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Core 2 Duo is a superb performer, if you want the best get that. i have that in a laptop, and its performance is awesome. unless there is compelling cost savings with the AMD, go with the Core 2 Duo.

for general web surfing, emailing, you'll likely never notice the difference between the two. photoshop, DVD creating, things like that will maybe show a difference.

i would also trust Dell's longstanding releationship with Intel, that the system is likely better "tuned" with Intel.

The Core 2 Duo is more energy efficient, plus it hosts more cache memory, which to me is worth the price difference.

I would also go for core 2 duo more efficient, better battery life. I just got one at work, it's IBM and im getting about 3.5+ hours projected battery life. asumming you use it without the power connected.

Also dont forget if you are getting vista, get 2gb of memory, 1gb with vista is not enough, but you may want to check out the price of buying memory post-sale as it can work out cheaper.

I use the computer for web surfing, email, very little photoshop, and a few games. Nothing serious.
It makes a big difference what the "few games" are. If the games are solitaire, it doesn't make much difference. If the games are the latest versions of Fear and Far Cry (just to mention a few of my favorites), your needs are quite different. Along with the fastest processor you can afford, and as much memory as you can afford, you also need the best video card you can afford. Depending on the games, you might want to check and see if your favorites recommend certain processors. The more demanding games do recommend the video cards that best work with them.

Hi, just throwing a little rock to the help. Intel is the Top on the whole lot, just check the cache l1 l2 that dell is giving in the deal. and do not buy extra memory from dell, just go somewhere else, will be cheaper and even the same or better. try to take advantages of everything free, you might not need it, but free is good when a recognize company is giving it away. Remember photoshop is not joke, and games, online, wire/wireless, check the a,b,g y " n " compatibility, that might help down the road. Oh, One last thing Video card should suit your needs for next year not this year, try one a level up, not the one you will you today, that will help you play Hang man and Pinball 3D :D

The Core 2 Duo is more energy efficient, plus it hosts more cache memory, which to me is worth the price difference.

It all depends on what you are doing. The cache memroy on the CPU does not allways compinsate for the direct memory access that the AMD has.

Laptops will ALLWAYS cost more in the long run. They will be more expensive to fix & maintain. Unless YOU MUST TRAVEL with the computer get a desktop & LCD monitor. You can get a LOT MORE PERFORMANCE for the money if you get a desktop!

JMHO
BryanSR

I'll second BryanSR. Not only do they cost more initially, and cost more to fix and maintain (and if you are into it, much more difficult to fix yourself), but they are much more likely to require fixing. My assumption is that the heat kills them. So much jammed into so little space leaves little room for airflow. Especially as laptops get thinner and thinner.

My two cent the recommendations are the q6600 and q6700 quad intels. Easily overclockable and being quad core somewhat future proof. Also did I mention they are both fairly cheap as chipsets go. If your squeamish about overclocking then look no further than the swiftech hr20-120 compact. It is by the easiest water cool install I have seen.

See this is the thing about ordering Dell's. If I was building one, I'd go for the best possible MB that I could get my hands on, but for the need to save money, I'd go with the lowest processor that board would support, along with memory, etc...

That way, later I could upgrade processor and memory, and have a fast machine. With Dell, they ship different boards depending on what processor you order, and therefore send you the cheap board with the cheap processor, along with outdated memory support. That is one major drawback about ordering pre-built machines (all of them, HP, Dell, Apple--which you can't build your own so--lord forbid Gateway, or Systemax.

Anyways, if money isn't an issue, I'd really go with at least the higher end Dimensions (don't have to go all out with XPS's or anything). Perhaps not the most expensive, but don't get the cheapest for sure, you'll get what you order. Spend about $1000 for computer (plus monitor) and you'll likely do alright. Worry more about price range than what processor (price range doesn't include extras like 3 year warranty, 21 inch monitor, 15 software titles, etc. just the computer only--with plain old cheap Dell keyboard and optical scroll mouse and cheap speakers you should spend about $1,000, plus all of your extras) the computer has in it. If you do that, you'll be a lot more happy.

However, if price is an issue, don't buy the cheapest computer, go for one that is above the bottom price range, if you don't, you will not like what you get.

Good luck, and if you've already bought one, congrats.

It's a fun project to go find all the parts and build the thing yourself. The thing Tony pointed out, how with the prebuilts you are stuck with whatever cheap board they happen to use at the time, made me decide I will not buy a prebuilt again except for specific defined circumstances where it's the best fit.

I am still amazed every time I touch the machine I built several months ago for less than $1K of parts.

Core2Duo kicks butt, especially on a Asus overclockable board with several (4+) gigs of high speed memory, an nvidia 8600 and an Antec four-hundred case full o' fans.

Not to discourage IAfirebuff, I'm sure you will be happy with what you bought, if the computer is more than a year or two old (ESPECIALLY a celeron) then *anything* current will be an improvement in most cases.

oops, i'm stupid and waited till too late to edit the above. The Antec case is a "Nine Hundred" not a "Four Hundred"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)