C band and manhattan skyline 1000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Metalhead

Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
I am a newbie with FTA and for about 2 weeks now, I've been reading like crazy trying to suck up everything about FTA and DVB. I have had a C-band since the early 90's, and just decided to dust off the equipment and see what this FTA thing is all about.

I decided before I spend tons of money on the wrong equipment, I'd ask the experts (here) about what they think. Here is my setup.

SAMI 10' mesh dish with 1/8 " holes.
California Amplifier C band only (for now) LNB with Feedhorn and servo
Venture 24" maxi (new just replaced because the old one rusted out and did not work)
GI 2720R Analog receiver (borrowed)
Manhattan Skyline 1000 DVB Mpeg w/DiseqC controls (borrowed)

Ok, I've hooked it back up and decided to first program as many C band Sats as I could locate using Lyngsat and others places. I still get VERY good reception and found most of them with free analog feeds still showing, so I know the GI and the BUD is still working.

I have been trying for days to find out what I need to do to hook up the manhattan to receive ANY FTA channels on ANY C band frequency, but alas no channels are found, even going to program the specific FTA channels on the skyline. I have the C band lnb feed going to the manhattan first then loop out to the GI receiver. I still get clear C band channels this way but no FTA through the manhattan (no diseqc needed). The signal strength on the Manhattan says 82 % but it finds NO channels, on any satellite I put in there positioned using the analog receiver. Do I need a different LNB, feedhorn, or a FTA receiver? I can't even get 1 FTA C band channel on any satellite?
I don't know what else to do. Any input would be appreciated. If I've left any setup details out, let me know.

Metalhead,
If you can get AMC 7 at 137 degrees? Put it there on channel 5. I use channel 5 because I do not subscribe to any channels on AMC 7 and on channel 5, you get a message that tells you, you have no subscription and contact your service provider. This way you know you're on the right polarity and satellite. By the way, whatever channel you have your GI receiver on will be the only polarity you will be able to scan, whether it's vertical or horizontal. Now, if your Manhattan will do a blind search, scan while you're on channel 5 and you should get 6 channels from the Alaska Mux. If this does not work, you may have to feed the coax from the feedhorn to the GI receiver first and loop it out to the Manhattan. Hope this helps.

Al

I can barely get AMC 7, but I did set it with some scambled channels as a reference point. Still no channels on the Manhattan. Looping out to GI from the manhattan (I assume) is just like splitting it. Since I can get analog channles very clear looping from lnb to manhattan to GI, I assume that is not the problem. Plus there is no loop out from GI. Is there something else I need to do to get a digital signal? Like a LNBF?
I know my LNB is working fine and my servo because I can get c band H/V channels without a problem.

A lnbf on a bud is not a good idea, try placing the polarity on the proper setting then hook the lnb direct to the DVB and see what happends.

For some reason, I GOT a digital signal and it located all the channels on the G10R (I tried a ton of times but never got a singal, but this time I got them) It lasted about 5 minutes. I don't know how or what changed but I got them so I know my setup can now get them. I suspect the digital signals need a clearer path to the sats than analog signals, my building is partially in the way as an obstacle so I suspect that is the problem getting a quality digital signal. Its never been a problem with analog. However my new Venture arm I put in locked up on me, so now I have to wait to get a new one to replace it. I also want to know which FTA receiver is a pretty good one besides the pansat 3500s (I read iceberg's review and I am inclined to get that but didn't want to close the door on other quality ones other than the coolsat and fortec and dreambox). My Manhattan is borrowed and I want to get a better one than that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.