C Band Dish Installation Update

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hi All,

Here's an update on my progress.
On Friday with the help of my wife and a friend, we got the dish mounted on the 8 foot pole.
Using a bubble measure first, I measured the pole for plumb and found that the east-west measurement was perfect with the bubble perfectly centered. However, with the north south measurement, the pole was off plumb slightly with the bubble partially off the center mark.
I then used my Johnson Angle locator and found that my dish pole was perfectly plumb at 90 degrees using the same process (east-west, north-south)
My question...do I go with what my bubble measure found and adjust the tripod or be pleased with what my angler locator found and proceed with my dish set up ? I'm thinking (and hoping) the the angle locator is more accurate.
Thanks in advance.

Brian,

Thanks for your input. What could I use for a third measuring device...another bubble measure or angle finder ?

And have a real good look at the pole. I bought a full 23' 4"ID pole that had slight deformity on one side. You couldn't see it, but my electronic level could measure it. The other side was perfectly flat and became the key to the installation of a true standing pole. But remember the only part that needs to be true is the part the mount hangs onto ;)

Reactions: . Raine and JFOK
Brian,

I used the Stanley level app you suggested and found that my satellite pole measured 0.4 plumb north-south and 0.2 plumb east-west. Both well within the bubble "center measure" markings. So I guess I can proceed onto the next step.
Thanks for your help and thanks also to Magic Static for your input.
dish.jpg

I have no luck with phone apps anymore.
I just aim dishes by intuition now.
Dish aimers seem to be really off for me now, must need a new phone.
Here is what my pole might look like if I used my phone as a level:

View attachment 111695

That's what all the trees my wife planted in our yard look like! lol

Hi All,

I know its been a while since I posted an update.
I'm not a fan of working on my dish in cold winter weather, so now that spring is here and I've finished prepping my yard for the spring, I'm ready to start the final process of getting my dish "back on the air."
Last fall I bought new Norsat C and Ku LNBs and just a short while ago, with the go ahead from my CFO, bought an ASC-1 positioner from Brian.
So next weekend, if I can still remember what to do,16 years after my last BUD install, I hope to be scanning the skies once again.:)

Hi All,

My ASC-1 positioner arrived yesterday morning...thanks for the prompt service Brian.:)
Like others have noted, this positioner is built like a tank and almost as heavy.
Now if the weather cooperates this weekend, I will complete the installation of the feedhorn and new LNBs and start looking for my southern most satellite. I believe for my area that would be Telstar14r.
After 16 years of Cape Cod weather, the Precision-ADL feedhorn was looking a little worn, so before reassembling I sanded off the loose paint and repainted it, being careful of course to keep paint out of vital areas. I know this wasn't necessary since it will be covered with a feedhorn cover, but I figured...why not ?
I will keep you updated as to my progress. I may ask for advice during this process, after all I haven't done this in 16 years.

John

JFOK do you have any pictures of that painted feedhorn? :)

Reactions: FTA4PA
Thanks JFOK!
Sure makes a big difference doesn't it. :)

KE4EST,

Looks much better I agree.:)
Now I have a problem. I'm using an older TV with A/V in jacks to read the microHD menu. Unfortunately the menu doesn't show up on this TV using the supplied microHD "breakout" cable. I brought the microHD inside and hooked it up to a TV with HDMI and the menu appeared. I used another similar type "breakout" cable with the microHD on the TV outside and again nothing. I'm wondering if the AV out jack on the microHD has failed.
Regardless, I'm stuck with a dish all ready to go and no way to tune it.:(
I have an old Fortec Star 986 NA receiver. Should I try that ?
Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts